Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Sculpt

Hello all, i'm new here amd thought i'd finally show some work:poly124:. This is my first time using zbrush and the base mesh is the first ever head i modelled in 3DS Max.

Sculpt.jpg

Sculpt2.jpg

Sculpt3.jpg

Like i said, the base mesh is my first ever head model, and its actually a model of my own head. I decided to use it as the base mesh for some sculpting practice. Its supposed to be a generic stylised evil dude. Ive worked on it for about an hour and was hoping for some crit, feedback, advice etc. Not using any reference or guides at the moment, just kinda 'winging it' with whatever looks cool.:poly121: Still in the early stages but i hope to spend a lot of time on it once ive got my coursework done.

Replies

• LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Rookexe wrote: »
    Not using any reference or guides at the moment, just kinda 'winging it'.

Don't do this. Always use reference. I'd suggest you drop down in subdivision levels and work on the forms.
  • Rookexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »
    Don't do this. Always use reference. I'd suggest you drop down in subdivision levels and work on the forms.

Ok i'll grab some reference material asap. As for the subdivision, i'm actually working at a lower sub d level, just increased it to make it look slightly more presentable for the post, sorry bout that. Thanks alot for the advice :poly136:
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah YOU ARE AMAZING, YOU ARE SUPER TALENTED. I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS YOUR FIRST SCULPT! YOU SHOULD POST EVERYTHING YOU EVER DO FROM NOW ON.
  • Rookexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Julmust wrote: »
    Yeah YOU ARE AMAZING, YOU ARE SUPER TALENTED. I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS YOUR FIRST SCULPT! YOU SHOULD POST EVERYTHING YOU EVER DO FROM NOW ON.

I assume that you are being sarcastic and mocking the fact that i stated that this is my first sculpt, insinuating that i am here to show off and receive praise. The reason i stated it was my first attempt was due to the fact that i thought i would receive a lot of negative comments and wanted people to understand that im still in the process of learning (maybe that was a bad idea). No i dont beleive this is an amazing piece of work, hence why im here for advice, so feel free to mock me if thats your prerogative.
  • [Q]uik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

that was so insanely immature...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Not too bad of a sculpt! I suggest you using Inflat brush on the ears. Also, make sure to always use reference - don't even start sculpting w/o some reference in front of you (I kept making that mistake in the beginning). That way, you'll learn a lot and we can give you better critiques and comments. Good luck!
  • DirtyMrDucky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirtyMrDucky polycounter lvl 12
    it really isnt a horrible first sculpt, ive seen some pretty bad ones and this is far from it. u might wanna use the trim brush on the bottom of the chin there, it's pretty sharp. also, its just my preference but i steer clear of the red wax material when sculpting cuz the glossiness really throws me on how defined something is. personally i like the wedclay or fg_grey_metal matcap from the zbc matcap thread.
  • Rookexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, ive grabbed some reference imagery of generic faces, game characters etc. I have taken onboard all of your advice so far like changing the material, i agree with what you meant about the glossiness DirtyMrDucky,the red wax material did make some things hard to see. I'll post some more images when ive made some progress. Thanks for the support.
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
    keep at it man =) agree wit the others about references. There are all sorts of techniques and software and stuff you can learn. But nothing beats real life. On a positive note, that is better than when I started out.