icecream_isle_01.jpg

look ANYTHING like

gears-of-war-2-20080828051842698-000.jpg

you need to try harder buddy
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    yeah man... its like most teachers jobs to say "good job, it looks really good!, in fact, I bet your best in the class"... I guess they feel like they can say this to just make you feel good at the moment.. but all its really going to do is crush you in the long run when you start applying to companies and every single one turn you down. I love it when a my teacher(a professional in the industry already) would be straight forward and tell you how it is and from their hard crits and you actually grow and get better, or you find out this industry is not for you... or maybe just need to figure out what part of the industry you belong in. I said to keep up the good work(meaning keep learning). I didn't realize you thought this was industry standard work you created.

I would suggest to focus on one thing at getting really good at. dont do animation, rigging and modeling all at once. I know EXACTLY what kind of class schedule your going through. They teaching you everything and your learning only a little bit of everything all at once. Most guys going into the industry get hired because they are really good at doing ONE thing! environment artist, level designer, character artist, concept artist, programmer... and so forth. Very few can go in as a jack of all trades. Those are the very gifted ones that worked their asses off. Some become a jack of all trades by first starting off at one thing and learning the others from the professionals around them in the company.... if you so chose.

Anyways... listen to Mark, he da man and he has given you so much! Something most teachers cant... experience!!
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    This is the perfect thread. There is none better. I love it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Oh ho hoooo...If you think that was harsh, you have no idea of an actual critic. xD

These guys so far, were very kind enough to give you some feedback and suggest you ways to improve your work and the website.

If you think that is harsh than good luck looking for positive reviews for your website. :)
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    This is the perfect thread. There is none better. I love it.

+1
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Polycount is as honest as it gets. If you have great work you'll be praised and asked how it was done and even then some guys will find faults. If you post crap well guys here will help you out to get better. I've seen guys with work like yours and a year or two later are beyond amazing. Hell some even faster then that. BUT THE DIFFERENCE. THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE. They didn't act like total douchebags and accepted that hey you know what maybe my works not that great.

to anyone who thinks the're the shit I would suggest attending the GDC career pavilion. Its been almost a year since I received a HARD fucking wake up call and realized that compared to the kids from japan, and other parts of the states I have a lot of work to do to be able to match up.

if you haven't had this lesson yet. then you need it. not just as an artist. but as a person.
    Learn to understand that no one pays you to be mediocre, because there's a thousand better people waiting to take your place.
    Me and my friend mike (Lroy) discussed a post made by recent character artist professional Dustin Brown
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1451572&postcount=16
    to quote "Every hour you aren't working on improving your art, someone else is. They're going to get the job you want. You can bitch about how hard and unfair it is until you're blue in the face, or you can accept it and take care of business. I'd suggest the latter."

Kthxbai
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    come on jesse does
    icecream_isle_01.jpg

look ANYTHING like

gears-of-war-2-20080828051842698-000.jpg

you need to try harder buddy

I can't tell if you are being serious or just trolling.... But perhaps you missed the point I was making to this guy.

I know my stuff needs work and I am not on here saying piss off with crits and I am fine with my work. I compare my own stuff to guys like Kevin Johnstone and the such and can honestly say I fucking suck. I am not even close to where I would like to be. BUT I take feedback and try to get better.

My reason for posting what I did was because this guy thinks his work is good enough that he doesn't need the crits that were given when well he very well does need them to grow.

Anways....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    where's that michael jackson eating popcorn gif?
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    cptSwing wrote: »
    tumblr_lx5n7pc02O1r37btso1_500.jpg

Puahahahaha... this makes me laugh a lot! Excellent, the frog is hilarious.

But guys, seriuously, leave the kid alone. He already asked for this. Everything that should be said it was. And if the boy thinks his work is good enough... then, it's time to him apply for some jobs. When he work in some titles, he'll post here, to show everybody that we were all wrong.
    Myself, persoanlly, don't think that my work is good enough yet, so feel free to criticize me any time you want, in any of my threads. I'll try not to feel ofended by you =)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Ohh, out first Adam Jensen, "I Never Asked for this" Criticism thread of 2012. Happy new year everyone! :D
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    yo OP, how much time did you spend in colege.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    RJBonner wrote: »
    yo OP, how much time did you spend in colege.

Enough to get a BS from Westwood (of tighten up the graphics on level 3 fame).

It's fucking criminal that that school exists.
  • Hexidine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is now a troll thread,
    but serieusly I actullay don't like anything about your site or work.
    as said before, you should try harder man
  • Digital Cantina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Cantina polycounter lvl 11
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    interesting stuff..

i would like to say that crits are what help me keep on trying to improve.

without the guys on here spending time to crit, give great advice, and help, maybe i would have given up on trying to have a go at 3D modeling by now (wouldn't that be a huge loss to the arts community!).

I found it really frustrating to begin with trying to achieve what i wanted to do but failing each time to get anywhere close to what i wanted.

it wasn't until i decided to post my progress on here and get such valuable crits & advice that i progressed more.

true, i havn't even completed my first ever model yet and its a long way off, but it is heading more and more in the direction i want each time i work on it because of all the help from folks on this forum.

and, as so many have mentioned, you are lucky to have had these guys spend time to take a look and comment on your stuff. each time , i get a crit or comment, it makes me want to keep going.

i envy all the attention you got on your work, i feel i am annoying sometimes by constantly bumping my stuff and cross-posting as a desperate noob trying to get folks attention (*cough...chun li_first character_[WIP]...WIP thread...) :poly124: ..shameless..

hope you don't give up trying if you really enjoy it. as a hobby or looking for a career, enjoyment is important i think, so i hope you can progress and enjoy your time in doing so :)
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    n0body wrote: »
    well i've already had a few freelance jobs, i was just looking for a little crit and it got out of hand, buts its ok

Man, if this is true...
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom wrote: »
    interesting stuff..

i would like to say that crits are what help me keep on trying to improve.

without the guys on here spending time to crit, give great advice, and help, maybe i would have given up on trying to have a go at 3D modeling by now (wouldn't that be a huge loss to the arts community!).

I found it really frustrating to begin with trying to achieve what i wanted to do but failing each time to get anywhere close to what i wanted.

it wasn't until i decided to post my progress on here and get such valuable crits & advice that i progressed more.

true, i havn't even completed my first ever model yet and its a long way off, but it is heading more and more in the direction i want each time i work on it because of all the help from folks on this forum.

and, as so many have mentioned, you are lucky to have had these guys spend time to take a look and comment on your stuff. each time , i get a crit or comment, it makes me want to keep going.

i envy all the attention you got on your work, i feel i am annoying sometimes by constantly bumping my stuff and cross-posting as a desperate noob trying to get folks attention (*cough...chun li_first character_[WIP]...WIP thread...) :poly124: ..shameless..

hope you don't give up trying if you really enjoy it. as a hobby or looking for a career, enjoyment is important i think, so i hope you can progress and enjoy your time in doing so :)

^this!... a lot!
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Also, you might want to tighten up the graphics on level 3...
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Nobody: I would listen to the critique your getting. Mark made very good points.
    Even if your work does get you a job it wont last long if your not willing to listen to your seniors/more experienced artists.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    nobody why are you posting your portfolio in this thread and get mad when people criticize you?
    Its like you want everyone to say "its perfect, dont change".
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    if you still open for comments & crits and are willing to accept them from a noob;

animations;

valkyrie: eyes are looking down perhaps too much while he is running, he might miss his target he is running at? looks like he is just staring downwards into space with no concentration or any emotion.

woman soldier 01: has tiny hands and what appears to be a prominent double chin in the 'climbing' animation, kinda looks like a baby.

man soldier 02: the best animation is the 'blown back' one.

texture/design;

maid: is she wearing white gloves? it looks like she has white hands, there doesn't seem to be enough noticable difference in the texture or model to define the appearance of gloves.

for what its worth, i notice a lot of people always mention how it's better to focus on making 1 really good showpiece model than have lots of so-so models (quality not quantity), so perhaps choose 1 of your models and look to fix problems highlighted from the crits & comments to make it your outstanding 'showcase' model.

i think from all the crits and from what i have seen, in my (very) humble experience, i agree with others who mentioned there is a long way to go before any of your models look like something you might find in a professional game, and maybe it will feel like a mountain to climb having to change each one.

choose your favourite 1 and go for that 'showcase' masterpiece.

i look forward to seeing it :)
  • bowplane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    best thread ever
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Your characters need more polygons, imo. You're allowed to use more than 100 triangles per leg nowdays :P
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Quit trolling and let this thread die. Pretty sure he got the point.
    There is a difference between a professional checking someones attitude and a troll.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i was wondering why this was 4 pages long lol

Nate
  • spahr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    And just like that, my lunch break is over.

Time well spent.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    t4paN wrote: »
    Your characters need more polygons, imo. You're allowed to use more than 100 triangles per leg nowdays :P

His characters are all over 10.000 polies, some almost 17.000. Last years' Dominance War had a limit of 10.000, look at some results of that:http://www.dominancewar.com/2010/main/dwvchampions.php .