Home General Discussion

Should I get a degree in Game Art?

Replies

• rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I feel like the world has changed so much since I was 18 years old. Even 1998 was so different than say 2000 or 2002..... With support on the internet. I guess all I can say is that I have an accredited BA with a concentration in "Game Design". Lol I write "Game Developement" because the college just had no clue man. Its just such a long story. Its hard to say what works for who. In some ways I see "should i go to college" or "should i go to a game college" as "should I buy size 10.5 shoes". "should I buy boots". I'm not sure. I think it worked for me, but sometimes I think I should have done atleast half of the school at a more artsy place (I.E. Art Center. But thats expensive as hell). And I always think I should have put myself out there more. That can be Polycount but really its also getting in contact with people who do what you want to do and in a personal setting (or doing the apprentice thing. Thats good stuff). I think those things matter school or not. Just I do think some people are probably best off going to college of some sort atleast. Who those people are? I'm not sure. I don't know if its you or not. If you see yourself growing quite a bit and doing well with out college, then may be skip it. I went to school. Happy with it. Its a double edged sword. Made many many great life-time friends. Got perspective. Came out of my shell a lot. Found what I wanted to do. Made mods. Dodge horrible teachers. Blew money on that crap...

I hear game schools are MUCH better now. I have some friends that teach sometimes at them and they say its 100x's better than what I/We had :).
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    If you are motivated and dedicated enough to make a school like flashpoint worth it, then you are motivated and dedicated enough to do it on our own. Go to a traditional art school, I wish I did.

Yep this is very true. The big catch is how do you know? I know of tons of people who were told and thought they were "hot shit" and just never made it. 1 guy I know became a tester, bialed on testing, went to college no.2 and then 3. and is now a total f'ing bad ass in the industry.

In the land of the blind the 17 year old invincible small town ego driven game dev kid with half an eye for specular highlights is king. And nobody can tell him otherwise.

P.S my art school had really really good figure drawing classes. Some of these "game schools" should be offering more than "Maya Labs"
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    In about a decade there will be more people in India with degrees than the whole population of some countries. As long as Degrees are considered a useful part of higher-earning careers it is a no-brainer to get one. However, some institutions consider teaching degrees to be worth hundreds of thousands of your dollars and could therefore become a huge burden on your financial future, and we here are discussing art positions where more often than not, the qualification itself (what you gained from the experience is what's important) will not get noticed.