Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate castle [UDK]

Replies

• DudeinCA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that is really good. solid textures you got there.
    hmm, i dont know how that bridge is floating though. Seems like the posts that would go into the water got cut off.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really love this scene, still not a fan of the metal panels on the main building, they just seem a little wierd in placement and colour when all the rest of the colours and shapes keep such a strong neat appearance and colour palette.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Gotta love those rocks :) But it's missing one crucial element. A Skull and Crossbones flag/banner.

Other than that man. Top work!
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Can't... stop... thrusting at the screen!

Fantastic work here, the only constructive thing I can think to comment about would be putting more emphasis into your speculars to help differentiate the material types between, metals, woods, stones, roof slate and rocks immediately close to the water. I know the textures do an impressive job of this already but give it a try if you've time.
    Don't forget the support ropes for the bridges too.

I think the time spent on climb was well made, Even without that and your already spectacular portfolio, this piece alone could get you a job anywhere you choose.

The effort you've put into responding to the community and showing breakdowns of your process and assets is very commendable as well :D

*thrusts at the screen some more*
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this looks really awesome. The only suggestion I have is maybe add some more soot and wear on the canon bottom edge. The canon door can use some wear as well, maybe knock out the bottom of the door and show some splintering as if the canon nicked the door when firing. Great work though. :thumbup:
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice progress Romy! How do you keep your 2,5d zbrush canvas-base sculpts so clean? I always get a nasty line on the borders. I tend to take it in to a plane and do the actual sculpting there with wrapMode set to 2. But that's not very intuitive when your reusing already existing tools/objs.. Would be awesome if zbrush had an "offset canvas with numbers" like photoshop..
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks everyone !
    Lephenix -> i was at the HEAJ, Namur
    Olli -> Whenever you want for that hug :poly121:
    toxic -> no, i actually made the normal map of that moss with pixplant, translating the mask of the moss to NM and adding it to the base stone wall normal map.
    DudeinCA-> the bridge is actually not done, i just reused a mesh to have a reference for the placement of the second island
    Ged-> hmm you're not the first person who find them weird. I'll probably be going to remove them at the end =) thanks for your advice
    Animesh -> if i have enough time after the rest of the island i will probably make a final pass on those canons. thanks for the advice =)
    sltrOlsson -> actually to be sure i keep the tiling, i do a morph target on my planes on 2 axes, to align the geometry properly. You just have to make a store MT of your subdivided plane before starting to sculpt, and then push the morph target slider after you choose the right axes.

And again, thanks everyone for your comments, it helps keeping motivation ;)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Just looked at your website, loved trulls winhall, cant seem to get your resume page to work at all (Im on the latest firefox)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy wrote: »

sltrOlsson -> actually to be sure i keep the tiling, i do a morph target on my planes on 2 axes, to align the geometry properly. You just have to make a store MT of your subdivided plane before starting to sculpt, and then push the morph target slider after you choose the right axes.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if I understand. You have your rock tools and put them down to the canvas right? And use the tile key to offset? Cause from there you can't have a morph target. Do you mean you save a MT on the plane you are projecting to? Cause you still end up with a seam from the canvas grab. I don't see how a MT would help?
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    woups okey my bad, i see the misunderstanding. I was talking about sculpting rock texture on a subdivided plane using wrapmode. Anyway to avoid seams on the borders i simply make a best renderer in the Render menu (deactivate AO and shadows in the options). then export your doc and voila =)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okey, now I understand :)

But this, is it sculpted from a plane? I thought you reused your tools for that one?
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    i actually used my rock tools on a 2.5 canvas, i then generated a displacement map with a grabdoc, in order to export a high poly mesh and bake an ambient occlusion map through xNormal =) (my workflow involve many uses of the ambient occlusion and the cavity map as masks)
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    I think this is my favourite environment on the entire forum so far, it's going to be a killer piece once finished! gogo!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry to nag but don't you get a big ass seam when you use grab doc from 2.5D canvas? That's what I found to be the biggest problem with the tiling canvas in ZB..
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks everyone
    sltrOlsson -> nope sorry, i don't get any seams. Also, maybe are you using the smooth tool ? even with the wrapmode activated it generate seams on the borders
    Update! :
    - added a wall on the first island, next to the stairs
    - water shader modified
    - added some foam at the base of the island
    - wooden and stone bridge between the two islands
    - lighting update
    - basic set dressing around the islands

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Splendid !

For me the only thing you need to add is some light here and here (like one or two torch) to add a bit of life. :)
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with Froyok some lights would definitely bring it to life and oh a pirate flag :) or perhaps a dockd ship
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    words can't describe how awesome this is : |

also could you show some highpoly rock sculpts shots?

I'm trying to get to sculpt rocks similar to those but i really struggle with getting the shapes you have going on and i was wondering if they're all actually in the sculpt or just enphatized by the texturing (as you mentioned you use a lot of cavity and ao maps for masking when texturing)
  • tsabszy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    wow! i must say! i love your works! just checked out your other stuff and those are great ones too! my only regret is that i can't see even more :(
    you're a great talent man!
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    Holy shit that is beautiful! Texture work is unreal. I think the surrounding still needs something more though IDK
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    This thread is full of awesome to a degree I cannot express it properly. Beautiful work! Brb need to find my jaw.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    insane work man. The seam in the skydome in that first screenshot is so distracting though! >:/
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks everyone, i'm really glad you like it!
    Froyok, Pangahas, TeriyakiStyle -> yep i was planning to make a pass for a few props to place there and there, same thing for the vegetation =)
    Fnitrox->okey i'll post some screens later =)
    jeremiah_bigley-> Woups. =x
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great!

Only 2 things(one of them has already been said) I can put my finger on:

You need something to draw the viewers eye in using some contrast colors(like torches or something like that), right now everything is fighting for attention since all the props live in nearly the same color pattern.

I would love to see some more defined interaction between the ocean and the rocks, some splashes would help and maybe also make a vertex paint shader for the rocks so you can give the base of the rocks where the oceans hits a more wet look by darkening the diffuse up a bit and adding some more specular.

Great work nonetheless!
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Very cool! It's like something you might see in a modern day Myst game.
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    I'm another one saying awesome work man, love it!
  • jonas-144
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonas-144 polycounter lvl 6
    WOW, Awsome job man!. this is going in the inspiration folder
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    woo, I've been missing out on this thread, Awesome work sir!
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    dude, that's amazing ! Really diggin' it!
    I would sooo like to see how you did that water shader! And especially its normal map! Is it sculpted?
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    damn! i thought i've seen so many stone wall textures that i can't get impressed by them anymore but this one is amazing.
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks everyone !
    A small update :

toolpaddz->Nope, water normal map is generated from a photo through pixplant.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    !!! :O
    Awesome, absolutely loving the rocks.
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MalloryW polycounter lvl 14
    Love this. Inspiration folderdeded :P
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Kickass scene!
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    How did you do the rocks? Did you model a few variations and then arrange them in UDK?

And are they hand painted!?

Sick work
  • DMacDraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMacDraws polycounter lvl 7
    @Romy Those rocky shores look fantastic. The rocks themselves are great, the place looks lived in and the design is really clear!
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    Looking tits! Nice work!
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12

All right polycounters !
    I'm glad to present you the final screenshots of my pirate castle scene ! I changed colors, added a flag and a few details there and there. I'm really happy being done with this scene, and i'm not going back on it.
    There is always many things to work and improve but i have to admit i'm a bit tired working on this project and i really want to move on. Anyway, even if i'm not perfectly happy with the result, i think it's the right time to stop working on it, indeed, with my internship and my end of year project that pirate castle finally took me almost a year... SO, less talk more (big) screens :

I would really like to thanks everyone who participated in this thread. It was a great pleasure to post shots and to receive your support and advices ! I would also like to thanks Julien (alias Texelion, who provided me sincere and very useful advices during all the project and, of course, Trull, for his fantastic scene and his great support !
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Congratulations, it turned out amazingly looking also the green tooth made me smile, I must now save all of this to my inspiration folder so pardon me :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    What an achievement :) This is pure excellence
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Holy shit, this is amazing.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    amazing is an understatement, incredible work, man
  • mrmagee1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hot damn! This is magnificent!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Effin sweet :) No crits really, just enjoying the show!
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    How exactly did you go about tackling those rocks fella? Got any wire shots for them? Presumably sculpted in Z-~Brush and then decimated or am I way off the ball?
  • Prodigga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prodigga polycounter lvl 5
    so inspiring! I am really curious as to how you done the wet floor puddles?
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks everyone !
    Optinium -> i actually sculpted them in zbrush, i did a retopo and baked them, imported them in udk and voila =) You can see thoses meshes in previous pages

Prodigga -> simply in the material, with a mask to define where to add some reflection and set a flat normal map =)