Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Studies

Hey,
So i figured I had way too much stylised stuff in my portfolio so decided to do a few studies, the aim is to make two models and pose them in a dance seen, looking at muscle deformation. Just about finished with the guy model as i've hit a point where my computer can't really get any more subdivs in to go to a finer resolution, gonna move on to the female now to finish off the scene. If you have any crits there more than welcome:)

frontrender.jpg

facerender.jpg

backrender.jpg

siderender.jpg

Replies

• Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reposting to get rid of the anoying thumbnails thing:(
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    hey it looks good so far there is only this thing thats ticking me off with the face i think its around the ears also the hands and penis look weird to me other than that it looks good to me
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I think the shape of your Quad could use some further defining.

PFPS-quad-muscles.gif
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, had a chance to update this, i've gone over the quad area around by the knee, that outside quad always throws me but i think its looking better. As for the hands i'm gonna save those till i've got the final pose, i think perhaps the reason they were looking odd in the last pics has due to the pose. Also added hair! anyway here's the updates, i've refreshed the pics at the top to

frontrender.jpg
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on a side note i keep getting 403 forbidden things when uploading to imageshack, anyone know why this is?
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    It's probably the nuidty, Im guessing.
    As for the model, the eyes feel a bit off to me. I think they might be pushed back too far into the head which is giving him a very heavy brow area. Other than that Im really digging the torso area. Great job.
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, managed to get a bit further on this project, I've left the guy alone for a bit so i can come back to him with fresh eyes and moved onto the lady. Here's the progress so far. I'm probably gonna head back to the guy now before i sort any of the poses out and work into it a bit more, especially the face and the legs. Anyway here's the woman, any crits are always welcome :)
    front.jpg?w=709
    back.jpg?w=709
    face.jpg?w=709
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    >dat ass, no seriously, nice ass

some thoughts:
    clavicles - make them a bit more horizontal, women in contrast to men tend to have flat clavicles

calves - look a bit cartoony/stylized because they appear to taper in to far in the lower-half

shape of the quads again seems off, give a little bit more attention to the silouhette, I guess specifically what I mean is a little bit more "chicken-leg" shape or tapering
    both of my critiques in the legs are shown in this picture:
    Richer+Female+Legs.jpg
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok update time:) Looked into the legs on both models and much happier with it. I've also done a 'fat' pass on the woman to soften down the shapes and make her feel more natural. Reworked the guys face as well, focusing on the proportions, eyes and lips. Im still not overly happy with the guys face but i wanna put this project to bed so i'm gonna move onto the final pose and render.

anatomystudies.jpg?w=1400&h=
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    good work so far, but i think you have some anatomy issues in the female model that make her look a bit alien. Namely:

- The thighs are pretty huge, and too long, her knee shouldn't be as far down her leg as it is
    - Her clavilces are angled up like she's lifting her shoulders, except she's not. as someone pointed out above, they should be more horizontal.
    - Her forearms also seem a bit too long
    -Hands are too big, and are kinda knobbly, you seem to have exaggerated the joints and knuckles, and they're just not that extreme on real hands
    -Shoulders are too narrow
    - Neck is too thin, especially as you're suggesting a bit of weight in the breasts, stomach and thighs, to have such a thin neck is a bit odd.
    - The shape of the head seems odd, it's very round. i think you've exaggerated the cheekbones too much around ear height, which is making her head rounder, and not enough between the cheeks and the mandible. you don't have that drawing in around the eye that helps give that feminine face. here's a picture of a 3/4 silhouetee, compare it with yours:
    portman.jpg

- The heels on both characters are weirdly bulbous
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    resurecting this thread to show you guys what I ended up with (its been a while:P)
    Managed to get the final pose done and finally figure out how to use fiber mesh. DefInatly putting this project to bed now, but any final crit would be welcome:)
    manandwoman_front.jpg?w=1200&h=
    manandwoman_back.jpg?w=1200&h=
    manfront.png?w=700&h=
    manback.png?w=700&h=
    womanfront.png?w=700&h=
    womanback.png?w=700&h=
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, the shot with both of them has a Beautiful pose. But there is something's I would definitely fix. The most noticeable thing to me is that his legs are off. I would say the forward facing leg needs to be bending. I would bend it back at the knee so you wouldn't need to change the pose too much. Maybe point the rear foot a bit more as well.

Not really the same poses, But I think it shows what I mean.
    Juan-and-Samantha-dip.jpg

JustinStephens_TVGuide_House_TangoDip_WEB.jpg

Her hand on his shoulder could probably use some more thickness too, its looking a bit flat and thin.

For the still shots, The poses seem quite stiff. Take a look at some Contrapposto poses.

I would definitely make the changes to the poses as it really brings down the quality of your work. Not trying to be harsh, the skill is there, you just need to push it a bit further!

Good luck!!!
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is really nice stuff,
    very "arty" and not very "game arty" at all which is quite refreshing :)