Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Brandon Phoenix

Dim
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Dim polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, I've made some updates to my 'folio site in preparation for MIGS and I'm wondering if I could get some crits on the layout and presentation. It's a bit short notice to complete any major changes in assets for the conference, but I will file away any helpful feedback for later polishing.

Thanks!

http://www.brandonphoenixart.com/

Replies

• Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    layout and colors are pretty good. there isn't any useless stuff and navigation is as simple as it should be.
    i'd change the "3 1024 maps" to "1024 diffuse, specular, normal"
    3x1024 maps could be interpreted as 3 separate textures.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks, updated :) Anything else?
  • jetskee96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a few suggestions... I would take out the labels of personal and professional. since all but one are personal, its best not advertise you don't have a a lot of professional experience. Another would be the light in between the stairs in Vertical Farm, it appears to be too large for the scene and should be an easy fix. Otherwise good job.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Looks good mr. Phoenix.

the gloss map on the old man head is a bit high. Should be between 3-10% grey. The eye could use some shadowing too.

Btw wheres your dwar entry??
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys! Updated my website a lot since MIGS. I'm headed out to GDC next week, so I'd really love as much feedback as I can possibly get! Harsh as y-like :D

http://www.brandonphoenixart.com/

Would also love feedback on the resume (format, content, etc.) since I don't really know what the industry guidelines are. All resume info I find seems only semi-relevant.

@Jacque: I'm hoping I'll find time this semester to finish him up.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Change your Gallery, and Resume to white/grey like your name. I've been working all day and my eyes are strained..and I had a hard time finding the resume button.

I think recruiters are going to be a bit confused as to what you are advertising yourself to be. You have some props from the ship, the ship itself which would be more like a set piece to a environment. Some statue props, the snail, which is a small creature, the feline-humanoid bust, and the miscellaneous section.

Cut down your resume to 1 page. I'm in school and most professors who have worked in the industry have said that you shouldn't have a resume longer then a page if you don't have any industry experience. The summaries of your skill levels under all the programs is unneeded, I believe you demonstrate that skill through your work. Thats why most companies look at your portfolio before your resume.

Bullet point your work summaries. You go into detail about what your responsibilities were and I doubt most people will want to read through all that. Especially at GDC where a ton of people will be applying. Also, take out the "timestamp" of when you last updated the resume. Most will just assume that what ever you are handing them is current.

Make your resume a downloadable PDF as well as what is hosted. My Adobe reader actually crashed after closing the resume, something you don't want to happen.

Hope this wasn't too harsh for ya. Good luck at GDC, I wish I could have gone..but sadly lacking funds.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the crits man! Definitely not too harsh. Got a few changes in tonight, I'll get to the resume tomorrow.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Really cool man. Easy to navigate, and i'm in love with that gargoyle statue. Good work
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks man! Little bump here just because it's my last chance to change anything.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Resume updated.

@Samcole: Pretty much anything I want someone to know is on the front page, the 2nd page is a bit expanded. I'll also print it double-sided to make sure that nothing gets lost. Thanks for the crits, very helpful!