Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High-Poly Radio WIP

RoxyPox
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
RoxyPox polycounter lvl 6
Howdy! I'm new to polycount and I wanted to start getting critiques on some of my projects.
I'm attempting a high poly model of a vintage radio, which I will later create a low poly of and bake the normal map in. The project is for a class for creating game assets in 3DsMax.
I still have to work on the back of the radio, along with all the little details and such. I also have to create the mesh inside of the radio.
If anyone has suggestions on how to create the rest of the details or improve the model in general, it would be much appreciated. old-radio1jpg

EDIT: Model progress. Finished texturing for now. I'd still appreciate critiques!
Goodcell_Roxanne_Radio_FinalUDKjpg

Replies

• Pivot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pivot polycounter lvl 6
    Everything looks more tall/skinny than the reference, which actually looks more short/wide. Especially the base.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi dude, welcome to polycount. Ok let’s start on your model here, you seem to have a good start but there seems to be a few things that are quite off to me. First question are you using actual reference template in either maya or 3ds max? Because the actual proportion seems to be off. Looking at the actual frame of you radio I get more of a organic type feel to it rather than a hard surface one. What i have done is taken your picture of added notes on which parts need to be looked at and tweaked. You have the foundations of the model done you just need to keep looking at your reference image and noting down what is missing and what needs to be tweaked. Anyhow keep going and regularly update so we can help you more

yPgvX.jpg
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed the proportions. I do not know why I didn't fix them before. A case of poo brain probably. X)
    Thanks for the crit! I will work on the areas you mentioned. I still have a lot of details to work out, and I will continue to post progress as I go.Goodcell_radio_wip8.jpg
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
    its lookin good so far, but like what was said before, really focus on your reference and creating smooth re-inforced edges. it really helps to create a plane and throw it behind your mesh to know exactly where all the curves and pieces go.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, worked on it! I finished most of the details, but there is still a few to go. I still need to work on the inside mesh and the text.
    Would appreciate more crits! :D
    Goodcell_radio_wip9.jpg
    Goodcell_radio_wip10.jpg
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the mesh in there. Now all I have left is the text. I'm considering just painting it in on the normal map, since 3Dsmax is being a little chuggy with all the geometry. Suggestions?Goodcell_radio_wip11.jpg
  • Justin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Roxanne! I would definately try to add the text. I think it would be hard trying to match the right height of the text by just painting on the normal map and by modeling it you can get it just right. Plus I think it would just be easier. You can turn off the turbosmooth modifiers on you objects to make your system run better. I've heard that checking "isoline disply" on the modifier also helps if you do choose to render in the viewport.

2 modeling suggestions: Your knobs look like they are maybe too close to the panel they portrude from. Also, the angles look really sharp on that. I think when you bake the normal map it sill read as too sharp of a line. Number 2: the connection of the cord to the back could maybe use a more obvious "attachment" piece. If there's one there, it's very hard to see. If it's just coming out of a hole, perhaps make the hole just a tad bigger.

Looking good! Keep it up.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished. Now I'm getting ready to move onto the low poly version. Suggestions?Goodcell_radio_wip16.jpgGoodcell_radio_wip17.jpg
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished low poly and baked it as well! I shall be moving on to texture soon. Please let me know what you think!
    Tris: 1,726
    Polys: 865
    Goodcell_radio_wip18.jpg
    Goodcell_radio_wip19.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Make the dials 8 sided. Seriously.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Just out of curiosity, how come?
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Just out of curiosity, how come?

Dials in ref = 8 sides.

Dials on model = 7 sides.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh ok, I thought there might be a technical reason something shouldn't be odd-sided.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snader Yeah, didn't catch that until after I had unwraped and baked everything. If I wasn't on a class schedule, I'd go back and fix it.
    But, I've started texturing! This is the object in UDK with the diffuse and normal map. No spec map yet. I also plan on making the orange tuning dial glow.
    Radioshot2.jpgRadioshot.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Roxanne - maybe try to be more conscious about the direction of grain in your wood. In your reference, the sides of the radio have the grain following the curvature of the radio shape. The front face of the radio has the grains of wood moving vertically.

I think the grain directions in the reference are very nice because there is a variety. In some places the grain is vertical, in some places it is horizontal, and in others it follows the curve. Your radio has most of the grain wrapping horizontally around everything.

Other than that, looking good, will be nice once the edge wear and grime is in, and of course the spec map should sell this ;)

Keep it up! :D
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit, Jessica! :D
    I have finished texturing for now. But I would still appreciate crits so I can take it into account for the future.
    Goodcell_Roxanne_Radio_FinalUDK.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks great Roxanne! :)
  • Pivot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pivot polycounter lvl 6
    Looks sweet! Did you make it so the orange dial glows in the dark? :P
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure did! lol I didn't model it plugged into anything, so I guess it's a possessed radio. HA!