Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Deus Ex Inspired Office

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
I am trying to improve my skills in environment modeling by emulating the environment of the game, Deus Ex Human Revolution. I love the prominent use of gold and black in the scene as an art direction. And the game itself was a fun cyberpunk filled shooter. I wanted to create an office that was a part of the Deus Ex World, but not already in the game (ex. an office for an imaginary new DLC).

Alot of work needs to be done! Let me know what you think.

BTW,

LOTS of temporary textures.

The state the project is in now. With post process in use.
progress20_sm.jpg

Layout of the room.
progress14_sm.jpg

progress16_sm.jpg

And if anybody can help me with this, I want this chair to have the buttons on the back. But I am not sure how to approach that. Suggestions?
progress21_sm.jpg386505263_230.jpg

Thanks, updates will come very soon!

Replies

• Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice so far, I'm really digging the vertical tube looking lamps (makes me want a real one). The walls need something more, maybe they need to be darker? But you said they're mostly temporary textures anywho, so we'll see how it goes.

Also, is that a ton of pictures of the pope on the cork board? Or am I just delusional? :poly142:

Edit: The person below me made me have an epiphany, needs potted plants. That would really give some life to the scene, and make it feel more 'office space'-esque.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Needs a white vase, a trophy, some plantage and a basketball.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Good start. For the chair, you can use ZBrush to make the details, a lot easier than modeling them in 3ds Max.
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I want to have a tiled floor to the level of this:
    dxhr2011-09-2519-22-10-23.jpg

I will give zbrush a try for the button detail! I took the advice to add a white vase and some plant life, and then combined the two. lol.

It isn't the pope! Just some guy with white hair, but I started to see the pope too after you mentioned it. XD

More progress!
    progress26_sm.jpg
    progress25_sm.jpg
    progress27_sm.jpg

Trying to add that cluttered feeling. I plan to add smoke coming off the cigarette, because the story I want to tell is that the person who used to be in this room left pretty quickly.

If I can figure out how to do it, I plan to have drip coming from the spill on the table. I used a decal to make the stain, but I am not sure how to get it so that it's not just black. Looks more like ink than coffee.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    lol Dos Equis commercial, aside from your temporary textures i like it so far
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the Dos Equis commercial was actually a royalty free image I found (atleast, the website that is suppose to only have have royalty free images had it). Buuuuut....I'll try to find a more futuristic commercial to insert. :)
  • ginseng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ginseng polycounter lvl 8
    I work in an office configuration similar to your concept. It would make more sense for the table to curve in the middle part so that the keyboard can be placed dead center to the monitor. I had a 90 degree table before and it was not comfortable to work on. Try adding the curve, it can also add a more sci-fi feel to it!
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    make a low poly cushion, without the buttons (imagine a "D" as the cushion's sideview).

then either grab some buttons pics from cgtextures and rework them, and extract your normals, or sculpt it in zbrush and get them normals out of there.

no need to model the buttons. waste of geometry. im working on a deus ex scene too, my button chair is black (having a hard time with it, since the scene is quite dark). but thats the best approach i could come up with.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ginseng wrote: »
    I work in an office configuration similar to your concept. It would make more sense for the table to curve in the middle part so that the keyboard can be placed dead center to the monitor. I had a 90 degree table before and it was not comfortable to work on. Try adding the curve, it can also add a more sci-fi feel to it!

problem is that all the desks in deus ex (at lesast in all the concepts i saw) have those uncomfy 90 degrees... theyre not the best option, but if you wanna stay true to the game lines, a 90 degrees angle would fit better i guess. dunno, just my 2 cents.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also there's a shadow problem in the base of your big computers (foreground)... try reworking the UV's
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Is your environment by any chance inspired from this?
    nps5n5.jpg

I like the lighting change! Hopefully you'll add more patterns and fine details to your assets.
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 wrote: »
    also there's a shadow problem in the base of your big computers (foreground)... try reworking the UV's

oh yea! I see that. Thanks!

I did notice that too that most of the tables in the game had that 90 degree corner, and I'll leave it for now. But I would like to fix that up after all the other props have been made and textured.

@ Alex3d
    Yes! Alot of my objects stem from that as my base inspiration. It was the most technology filled office out of all the offices in Sarif. Besides Pritchard's office. Which I also used greatly for inspiration.

Heres a paintover I did to help me with lighting and atmosphere:
    Elove_Paintover2.jpg
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress28.jpg
    Progressss.....
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coming along nicely, add the buttons and it will look really good :D
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! I'm back with more progress!

progress32.jpg
    progress33.jpg

Getting close to finishing this up!

In the second picture, there needs more things, I think. Empty wall. I'll see if I really need to deal with that space or not once I get the lighting fixed (again). But a few more model fixes here and there, texture reorganizing, material tweaking, and I think I can say I'll be almost done. Still need to bake my chair. But I will spend my tomorrow on that.

Thank you for the crits so far! Looking forward to hearing more! :)

[edit] my scene looks nothing like my paintover still. X( oy.
  • jrlogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrlogan polycounter lvl 7
    You know you probably don't have to have every box facing upwards considering how messy/disorganized the office is supposed to be.
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done for now! Will be working on adding more grunge to the walls, but I think it was a good practice on making a lived in office.

Thanks for all the help guys! If you have anymore advice for sweetening up the scene, I'd still love to hear it. :)

elove_beautyshot_sm.jpg
    elove_beautyshot3.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Looks good. But u need more clutter.