Home General Discussion

3D Artist Rant, Time to drop it and move on?

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I've not even read your first post but I find rants like this a bit strange, I think mheyman sums it up for the most part.

Dont you find an industry with skill being the major focus to be something thats fantastic? To me its almost relieving in its simplicity, the questions like "how to break in" feel almost redundent because its the act of simply doing work thats so important.
  • erazor_2011
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erazor_2011 polycounter lvl 6
    ZacD wrote: »
    Telling a mod and one of the most helpful and best member of our community to "get out" of a thread is making you look like an arogant asshole. I guess you're right, its probably a good idea not to post your work.

I didn't know he was a forum admin, but it wouldn't change a thing. If he wants to close the thread he could, that will just show me that polycount doesn't allow any negative opinions of games industry and brushing it under the carpet. Not allowing freedom of speech.

I put alot of time to write my first it is totally valid, im not here to troll anyone and I certainly wouldnt spend that much time writing something if that was my intention.

I would prefer it if admins didnt come and tell me my thread is pointless and that seems very power overwhelming.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Right now you are walking down a smooth road complaining about how hard the marathon is, when you start actually running you'll realize what really pushing yourself feels like and hopefully you'll look back at this thread with some embarrassment.

I'm speaking from experience here - check this goofy shit out: link
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I didn't know he was a forum admin, but it wouldn't change a thing. If he wants to close the thread he could, that will just show me that polycount doesn't allow any negative opinions of games industry and brushing it under the carpet. Not allowing freedom of speech.

I put alot of time to write my first it is totally valid, im not here to troll anyone and I certainly wouldnt spend that much time writing something if that was my intention.

I would prefer it if admins didnt come and tell me my thread is pointless and that seems very power overwhelming.

EQ and I have a love/hate relationship here and he hasn't done anything drastic to me. If you just let it go and just make art, he'll forget about the whole thing. Just calm down, take a deep breath, and start posting art. If you've got a chance of getting a job in the industry, this is the place to show off your skills. The thing is, the people here respect your ability to dedicate yourself to art. If you do that, you're already better off than all those posers sending in their portfolios of disproportionate characters and unrecognizable objects.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has nothing to do with 'polycount doesn't allow any negative opinions of games industry and brushing it under the carpet. Not allowing freedom of speech.'

that's idiotic. I has to do with keeping an orderly community. Threads like this do nothing more than cause people to argue, and right now it seems like most of the people that are replying are all agreeing. So really a thread like this does little to contribute to the community. it's not causing people to have any kind of civilized discussion or debate.

honestly, if the game industry is making you feel defeated then perhaps that's your cue to go to another industry.

no harm no foul. Sometimes our dreams and desires change. It's perfectly normal.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    <3 you Justin_Meisse

You should really not take anything said here personally or attack members, you've gotten some decent advice, but you do have a lot of the facts wrong and you are worrying about things that aren't really affecting you yet (example "Juniors start at 16k" I normally see 35k-40k).

Like we've been saying its 90% portfolio and networking, making some art, go to some conventions like pax or siggraph, try to get to know some artists that are working in the industry. Just put your heart in it and keep on improving.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I've been working my ass off to improve my portfolio for a while. Usually I don't even have time to play any games at all, not even for an hour, because the little time I have left after it's been sucked up by school and work is too precious to waste. I'm coming along slowly but surely, but despite what I believe to be my best efforts, the best I can show for it is a 2 month contract. But you know what? I'm not going to come on here complaining and looking for sympathy, because I know that every day I get closer and closer to my goal, and I know that one day I am going to make it.

Believe me, you are not alone, and getting into this industry is no walk in the park. But you know what keeps me going every day? Knowing that I am going for the opportunity to do something I love for a living. Most people don't have that luxury. Most people slave away their entire lives doing menial jobs that they do not enjoy. Please, don't give up, and stop being so cynical, because if you really put your heart and soul into it, it will work out in the end.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I judged by how you presented yourself and how you are currently presenting yourself.
    You came across to me as lacking in confidence in your abilities and being sulky because you felt hurt by the big bad industry.

Judge me by my avatar. Make assumptions. Call me a judgemental bitch. Call me a kid. I don't care.

I've been here since before it was polycount and watched some of these kids grow up, watched their skills improve and get jobs in the game industry. I've helped where I could and had the time. Blow me off if you wish.

And as a former admin myself, I wouldn't close this thread nor deny your freedom of speech.
    Polycount doesn't sweep things under the carpet. We don't deny your freedom of speech. You won't see a more real representation of the industry than here.

Be glad you're behind that anonymous account. You've been a great example of how to not get a job.
  • erazor_2011
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erazor_2011 polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah Im going to step out now, people think I'm trolling and complaining for no reason. Funny how in the art world of 5 years trying amount = nothing in other peoples eyes.
    You're either good or shit, fair enough.

I guess I need to make the whole decision myself.

Thanks for everyone for useful feedback that gave me a bit of insight.

For the people who were not constructive and just insulted me directly because I had soemthing to complain about, Please get back into the real world, people complain all the time and others don't go up to their faces making face palm expression or telling them how pointless they are, that leads leads to fights and people getting punch in the face.

If you don't like someone complaining then walk away, I did have genuine questions in my ranting, and I did put ranting in the TITLE don't like it? don't enter it.

Glad I didn't post my portfolio afterall.

And for the LAST time UK SALARY / POUNDS people that's what my salaries are based on.

Goodknight.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Im going to step out now, people think I'm trolling and complaining for no reason. Funny how in the art world of 5 years trying amount = nothing in other peoples eyes.
    You're either good or shit, fair enough.

I guess I need to make the whole decision myself.

Thanks for everyone for useful feedback that gave me a bit of insight.

For the people who were not constructive and just insulted me directly because I had soemthing to complain about, Please get back into the real world, people complain all the time and others don't go up to their faces making face palm expression or telling them how pointless they are, that leads leads to fights and people getting punch in the face.

If you don't like someone complaining then walk away, I did have genuine questions in my ranting, and I did put ranting in the TITLE don't like it? don't enter it.

Glad I didn't post my portfolio afterall.

And for the LAST time UK SALARY / POUNDS people that's what my salaries are based on.

Goodknight.

What sort of reaction were you expecting by posting this here?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Self entitled whining
    Hiding behind new/anonymous account
    Making pseudo-threats to people over the internet
    Dismissing opinions based on avatar type
    Dismissing opinions because someone tells you something you don't want to hear
    Conspiracy theories/cries of the oppressed
    Comparing Aids kids in African to someone struggling to get luxury job in a first world nation

This thread has it all. I'm so proud of you guys tonight. GOODNIGHT CLEVELAND!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright.

OP said he's leaving the thread and thanked everyone for their input. The point of the thread has been achieved.

I'm shutting this down to keep the flames from starting.

There's nothing wrong with complaining about the game industry. It's a shitty industry at times, but at the same time, as much as I've ever hated it over the past 10+ years, there has been so many more positive memories than negative. That's just my personal experience, but it seems like that's pretty much inline with most other's experiences.

Sad fact is that mis-management in large publishers is causing lots of layoffs and has created an employers market. This means all the hiring power is in the employers hands. We get to pick and choose out of a pool of very talented artists that have been laid off. So, now you're not just competing against other juniors, but also against other seniors.

It's not easy.

So where does that leave you? It leaves you having to network. The game industry is an incestuous industry and we tend to hire people we've worked with in the past because of how many hours we have to spend together.

So network and make friends if you truly want to get into the game industry. If not, then find what you're passionate about and follow that to no abandon.
This discussion has been closed.