Home General Discussion

3D Artist Rant, Time to drop it and move on?

erazor_2011
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
erazor_2011 polycounter lvl 6
Firstly I will admit that I want to be anonymous as I don’t really want to earn myself any sort of reputation in the games industry that may further hinder my chances at work by being a negative person as I about to make the following rant.

I want to know what people think of my situation and if I should stick to 3D for games, change fields such as 3D in Architecture/Design, or just drop the ball all together and give up. So that is basically my main question.

So here are my points:

1. Lack of jobs in the industry.
I spend a vast amount of time looking for work in the industry I use many top/popular games recruitment websites, agencies, etc, I Google various key words to find new sources. I go through similar forum posts to find jobs, and email companies directly. I hardly ever, ever, ever find a JUNIOR or ENTRY LEVEL in this field and occasional find my specific role. When I do find junior job I jump on it but so do 5000 others, so I am told on different occasions by the agencies. Then there are many deal breakers, such as countries/visas, specific software, Maya over max, zbrush over mudbox, etc. Shipped Titles, Proven experience, I saw a Junior Advert asking for 1 shipped AAA title, Please just die.

2. Industry is flooded with applicants.
Given this is the situation with most jobs with the recession, we always hear and see that the games industry is flooded with more people than other areas such as 3D visualising / architecture, etc. Oh how I wish I would have known that before so I would have never pursued what it seems like every silly boys dream of working in the games industry. I always enjoyed more hands on courses in school such as art, and playing games was always my hobby I think I was given an Atari at the age of 6 or something where I played all my ping pong type games. I actually thought I made a clever choice of career by combining what I do and what I enjoy as a career path. Now I live a bit in regret. Do what you enjoy they said! I doubt it will happen but people need to stop pursuing this field, playing games is not the same as making them. Our value as aspiring 3D artist is at zero.

3. Portfolio expectations OVERKILL.
Yes portfolios are needed and need to be top quality. But why are juniors artist or inexperience artist suppose to have work that might pretty much trash the lead artists work at the company. Is that how much the industry is over flooded, is this what we have stoop so low for? Killer portfolio demonstrating all necessary skills, awesome artistic flare for laughable 16k a year job. That is near minimum wages that is like what a junior administrator gets with no skill set besides common sense.
Are we that worthless as 3D artist if our portfolio is not top notch amazing?

4. Lack of Rewards.
I think it’s hilarious how the industry tries to undersell us by claiming that we do what we do because we love it, yes we do, and I love doing 3D. But not over playing games or going out with my family or going on holiday. It is still work and if there was no career in it I would have drop it after my 3rd model. We have families, we have bills too, and we would like to live comfortably. Juniors start at 16K, seniors and leads can get up to 35K and that’s about it, unless you become a director and earn around 150k a year but you have better luck winning the lottery. What are the rewards of being a game artist? Oh the title itself… Whoopee doo. Doubt anyone will be impressed by that, my family don’t understand 3D, so when I show them my work they don’t really know what to think of it.
Most people don’t, and they don’t appreciate the amount of time and man power invested into a film like Transformers etc, Seriously the title is oversold I’d like anyone try to sell themselves to a lady at the bar by expressing they are a game artist, it won’t do anything for you, my example is a joke but you get the drift.

5. Practice makes perfect.
Practice, Practice, Practice till you have a killer portfolio! After 3 Years of my graduate degree and 2 years training outside that I have done over 200 hours of following tutorials 300 hours replicating it, Many hours and months of modelling my own objects, building up my portfolio. My day consist of doing 3D work, Watching tutorials, reading 3d forums, looking up 3D jobs, and playing video games. My eyes are sore, my back hurts I have constant headaches my eye just starting twitching, Have I had a decent chance at a 3D job yet? Maybe once, future looking bright? No! And I’m bloody young!
I don’t even remember the things I learn from some of my tutorials I spent hours doing, all the particles, rigging and animation tutorials have all become blurs whilst I focused on props and environments, it’s impossible.

6. Mod/Indie groups a bit of a joke.
Tried a couple of them, first one I join I worked really hard but people were lazy especially director and it died out very quickly and I left. I tried to join a few top ones which I got accepted to which was all great till they started imposing their silly, oh how silly contracts. One wanted me to work just for credits in the game whilst they were making a paid product, I refused. The second one had royalties involved but they put a nasty in the contracts saying all my work belongs to them and they have the right to terminate me from the group at any time which will in return nil my royalties, felt a bit like a scam. Funny thing is the directors told me they had about 50 or so people under the same conditions all I can say is grow a pair for all those people, this is why we are abused.

7. Overtime and Sweatshop.
Game industry has so much horror stories. Most but not all games industry make you work unpaid overtime which basically contradicts minimum wages. Boom Welcome to slavery. Some are even referred as sweatshops because of the extreme overtime and working conditions, oh how proud I is to be a wannabe game artist, the joy... wannabe gangster and drugs and robbery looking good right about now.

8. Freelance, Out-sourcing.
Ok whilst this can be a good thing too, not really for a junior as you won’t really get work without some kind of experience or reputation or again a killer portfolio. Now the bad thing about freelance or out-sourcing is competition get ready to fight against aspiring artists from 3rd world countries such as India, their pricing makes me drop the ball and go home very quickly. Not something I have big experience with just lots of research, not looking very good to be honest.

Conclusion:
Because I left myself as anonymous it will be hard to judge my skill and why I am not getting a chance at the industry but I will try to explain myself.
Firstly I have followed many of the How to break into the industry tips, from various websites, forums, and books I have fully done my research on what to do even to the point of how a game artist should go on about a interview. I think my two main areas of concern is probably my portfolio and networking.

My Portfolio: My portfolio is decent enough, to be fair it shows intermediate level work, its show I can do all parts from modelling to texturing to importing to a game engine and a building a fully finished environment. It’s not one of these amateurish ones that you would instantly laugh at. The only thing I can see that is missing in my work is that wow factor. My work doesn’t make you say OMG WOW HOLY CRAP! How did he do that? I am at that stage of making my work look from decent/good to amazing/professional, which unfortunately is going to bleed my eyes to death with all the more practicing. It’s a big shame that I need to be a pro to get a junior job.

Networking: None really, I am not sure how to go on about this, I do get involved in the forums and always post my work up for feedback and make improvements and do occasional post on others work. I’ve tried mixing with the mod groups too, and met a few nice artists, all which are unemployed too, and similarly depressed. So what am I suppose to do in terms of networking? Should I stalk a director that is in need of an organ and plan to bump into him by mistake become his friend over time and offer my kidney and expect a job in return lol.

I have been following the do’s and don’ts, I’ve been willing to accept Internships and low wages of up to around 14k a year. I am willing to relocate to a completely different country of which I don’t even speak the language as long as I was offered a job. Am I really being unreasonable?

I hardly ever get responses from my job applications, the occasional Auto-mail confirmation, Thanks but no thanks, or thanks we will get in touch if we have suitable vacancy. I’ve had just 1 interview since the 5 years I set my eyes on the industry.

My ambition in this industry has gone rotten, so what do you think, time to drop the ball and give up, or shall I keep trying because I am sure a job offer would wipe out the negativity and put a smile on my face.

Replies

• MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Just by reading your point titles I can say I agree with you. It isn't special anymore really. I too have been keeping it as a modding hobby while I aim for something else.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think there would be an issue of you going public and not hiding your portfolio, and I can't imagine that this long and well thought up post would hurt your job-chances in any kind of way.

People will be seen as bad persons if they are assholes, not for being realistic or asking questions, but as it is now no one can realistically tell you what is wrong unless we can see your portfolio.

The fastest way to get some answers here on polycount would be "here's my portfolio, why am I not getting any responses from companies?"
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I may sound like an advertisement for this guy, but if this website is not one of the things you read in your quest, then I can't count your efforts just yet.

http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you don't have a job why are you complaining about aspects of the job?
    Getting your first job is 90% networking and portfolio, those are the only 2 things you should worry about. Honestly you should post your work if you really want good feedback and advice.
  • achillesian
    If you really loved this field, you wouldn't feel a single mote of regret. Do what you love, it will eventually work out for you.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    If you don't have a job why are you complaining about aspects of the job?

Because aspects of the job make it hard for him to get a job, and then offer no justifications for being in that job? :thumbup:

I would personally agree with the above statements. I'm in the pre-rendered CG industry, situation is a little better there.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    it is actually just as hard to get into music production or film, from my experience, so this is more what it is like to get these types of jobs now.

and to #3, it isn't so much people expecting a over the top amazing portfolio, it is that you are competing with people that have a amazing over the top portfolio for the position.
  • rebb
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    That is a pretty hard-hitting first post.
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    I do put my work and portfolio up for reviews in the forum, so I am already getting feedback like i mentioned above, but I don't want to put it up following a rant.

I've been told too many times that the games industry is small and a bad reputation will hurt you. So better play it safe
  • Laughing_Bun
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 15
    The real problem is that now there are tons of game schools and art schools pushing students into the industry when there just simply isn't room for most of them. The schools have made the industry over-saturated with "talent" many of whom have none. It makes it hard for people on the cusp to get a break. But if you honestly feel like you are close, its worth pursuing. The job market is only going to get worse though.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    You might just be a fucking terrible artist. Post some work, and you will get better advice.

You might THINK that portfolio expectations are overkill ... but thats because you haven't worked in an actual studio and seen the TORRENTS of utter BOLLOCKS that we receive on a DAILY BASIS.

"It is still work and if there was no career in it I would have drop it after my 3rd model. We have families, we have bills too, and we would like to live comfortably."
    Then go work in admin / another arbitrary office job. If there was no possible career in games ... I would still be making them. I think a lot of other people would aswell. You don't go into games for the money ;)
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Read your post.

Then I read this: "Networking: None really."

To quote Adam Savage, "Well there's your problem!"

It made your entire rant seem for nothing. I know that's not the case, but I'm a huge believer in networking being something thats key for a lot of people to land jobs.

I haven't gotten a single one of the jobs I've had in this industry without the help of those that I know. I've never just gotten it with cold-call applications to job postings. These are friends I made and help I got before I was the admin of Polycount.

As a side anecdote: Almost 1 year and 90+ emails between me and Ubisoft before I ever sat down at a desk working for them. And this wasn't an entry level position. It can take time.

What I need to clarify, though, is this: Networking isn't the solution. It's not a guarantee for a job. It's just the way I've always gotten a job. You can certainly get a job via a job application through a website. Lots have. And if you're talented enough and fit exactly what the studio needs, then whether you've cold-called the job or had a friend get you in through the side window won't matter how you've gotten the job because you're now being paid.

This job certainly has its rewards and your claim that it doesn't is false. If you're at a company and feel like you're being exploited because you're a passionate person than its your responsibility to do something about it, not theirs.

The horror stories of overtime are just that, horror stories. You have control over whether or not you're going to work 40+ hours or not and if you think its justified. No one is tying you down and lashing you until you do. The only time I've worked overtime, was because the work I committed to needed to be finished by a time that I agreed to have it ready for. And this is true for many cases of overtime. Very little (read: once in the past 7 years) was I doing overtime because it demanded by the studio. And even then it was at a time and duration that was made aware to us weeks before it happened.

TL;DR: Chin up, and if this is something you want to do you'll eventually get that job. It's not slave work and manual labor, it's game art and a job the majority of those who do it love doing. Like any job, it has its ups and downs, but the positives of this job far outweigh the negatives. And its not often you can find a job where you love what you do and you're surrounded with peers who love what they do. It's worth the effort needed.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Then why do you insist to enter 3D arts? If I could be a programmer or VFX artist, I would give my left nut for that, but I am not, and my skills in those areas are limited to 'example, learn, copy, change, change, mix, rinse repeat'.

Yet I see plenty of people around me, with the ability to really make some great stuff in those respective areas, and instead, want to push mediocre portfolio's in 2D/3D arts to enter the game industry.

Same thing with people who are good in other areas. Some kid who has a knack for being a civil engineer, or has good family connections to start a restaurant, wants in on the game industry, nothing bad in-it-self, but in this world, nowadays, people should be picking up the safer and more logical solutions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's ironic on how people complain about this point, when they themselves could be better at something else in said respective area.

For everything that is holy, we need more technical programmers...honestly.
  • Adam L. Gray
    adam wrote: »
    "Well there's your problem!"

When in doubt, C4!
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    You say your work doesn't have a wow factor and you don't network...

picard-facepalm.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    My day consist of doing 3D... and playing video games.
    And how much time is spent on this activity?
    My Portfolio: My portfolio is decent enough
    Show us your portfolio.
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    Snemmy i really feel like facepalming your face, got nothing constructive to say don't go around posting imgs that you don't own.

I've clearly stated Help on the networking part, not people repeating what I said but tips on how I can fix that situation.

I've also stated that is it's unfair we can't get a junior level jobs without wow/amazing portfolio.

I think it's really easy for artists who are inside looking out on us who are starving in the rain and dismissing the surrounding problems.
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    And how much time is spent on this activity?

Show us your portfolio.

1-3 hours a day sometimes none, seriously are trying to say I'm dumb enough to play 10 hours a day and not realise that was my downfall? At the moment I see my playing as advantage plus to put on my CV as a hobby.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    ...it can be hard to land a gig...no matter what your skill lvl/ xp lvl I've got 3 years studio prod xp...and the same amount of xp doing freelance...and I am having trouble finding a steady job. This is my portfolio (I know ...I really need to show some flats)
    http://drewhunt3d.carbonmade.com/

you've just got to stay determined ...freelance is an awesome place to start...you won't be doing the next-gen blizzard MMO..but there is work out there if you are looking for it..as far a networking...Hi I'm Drew...if you want an honest critique of your portfolio...I'll give you one and not out you...ahunt32@gmail.com
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    1-3 hours a day sometimes none, seriously are trying to say I'm dumb enough to play 10 hours a day and not realise that was my downfall? At the moment I see my playing as advantage plus to put on my CV as a hobby.
    Fair enough. Mind showcasing your folio?
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    ...it can be hard to land a gig...no matter what your skill lvl/ xp lvl I've got 3 years studio prod xp...and the same amount of xp doing freelance...and I am having trouble finding a steady job. This is my portfolio (I know ...I really need to show some flats)
    http://drewhunt3d.carbonmade.com/

you've just got to stay determined ...freelance is an awesome place to start...you won't be doing the next-gen blizzard MMO..but there is work out there if you are looking for it..as far a networking...Hi I'm Drew...if you want an honest critique of your portfolio...I'll give you one and not out you...ahunt32@gmail.com

Yeah... see even hearing you say you are finding it hard with your experience and portfolio makes me very wary of the field.
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough. Mind showcasing your folio?

It's already out there and i've had feedback, just not directly linked to this thread. Unfortunately it's going to say that way as you can there are some people who don't agree with me and start spreading facepalming images and dismissive single paragraphs.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't trying to be a downer yo...and I am not hurting for work at all..up to the balls in freelance...just saying it can be tough all over..and the only way to get through rough patches is to dig in and focus
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    marks wrote: »
    You might just be a fucking terrible artist. Post some work, and you will get better advice.

You might THINK that portfolio expectations are overkill ... but thats because you haven't worked in an actual studio and seen the TORRENTS of utter BOLLOCKS that we receive on a DAILY BASIS.

"It is still work and if there was no career in it I would have drop it after my 3rd model. We have families, we have bills too, and we would like to live comfortably."
    Then go work in admin / another arbitrary office job. If there was no possible career in games ... I would still be making them. I think a lot of other people would aswell. You don't go into games for the money ;)

I wouldn't say I'm terrible fucking artist, but thanks.
    I dont think i would be in the top 10 applications of say 500 applications maybe around the 50th or 100th it's hard to estimate.

Think of this way I have a passed an Art test with a company and then had interview which went well, but then was told they are looking for senior staff and would let me know when junior vacancy is available.

I was told by people on these vary forums that I am good enough to start looking for freelance work, on places like indie/royalty forums.
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    I can only catergorize skill set into 3 groups. The newbs that have quite bad looking portfolios, The intermidiate people have decent/average/good looking work then the Pro who have amazing work, When the work looks top notch you can't really say which artist is better the line is very thin. I am at the intermidiate trying to advance up to Pro.

Newb level = no jobs
    Intermidiate lvl = no jobs
    intermidiate creeping up to pro = no jobs
    Pro level = All jobs here, including juniors and interns. Lol.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The biggest revelation I had after getting into the game industry: it's a lot easier to get a job than you think - IF you chill out and are ready to move for work.

As far as JR and Entry level positions being listed, nobody lists that. Companies don't want unskilled people. If you see a job that asks for 2-3 years of experience that's code for an entry level job.

Check this out, I made this portfolio in 2009 and it's gotten me two jobs: BUSTED ASS PORTFOLIO
    (I've only recently realized it doesn't work correctly in chrome - HAH!)
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    I can only catergorize skill set into 3 groups. The newbs that have quite bad looking portfolios, The intermidiate people have decent/average/good looking work then the Pro who have amazing work, When the work looks top notch you can't really say which artist is better the line is very thin. I am at the intermidiate trying to advance up to Pro.

Newb level = no jobs
    Intermidiate lvl = no jobs
    intermidiate creeping up to pro = no jobs
    Pro level = All jobs here, including juniors and interns. Lol.

that is just how it works in a competitive job market for any field.

Like you said earlier you think you prolly rank in 50th or lower in say 500 submissions, and for the person doing the hiring there trying to get the best bang for there buck. Which is where networking comes in, if someone already in the industry thinks you can grow on the job to acceptable quality they might take a chance on you.
  • EarthQuake
    You're in a bit of a conundrum here, you've gone out of your way to really get noticed on polycount here(which is a good thing), but you're doing it anonymously, and you seem quite bitter(which is a bad thing).

Even if I was curious about hiring you, after reading this thread and wanted to see some of your work I couldn't(which is a very bad thing).

Its really hard to know if you're any good, if you're really doing much to improve your work, if you're over or underestimating the quality of your own work, etc. Which in turn really makes it hard to even give you any advice. You can try to convince me that your work is good, that you're working very hard at improving, but its all pretty meaningless to just say it.

So unfortunately the net result of this thread is just going to be people calling your out for being a weirdo who creates a new account and is afraid to show his work, which isn't all that unreasonable, and people who feel pity for you and give you the "Hey, keep at it, man" speech. If all you're after is pity thats ok I guess, but if you want serious advice on your work and your career, you need to drop the anonymous stuff and be real.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Snemmy i really feel like facepalming your face, got nothing constructive to say don't go around posting imgs that you don't own.

I've clearly stated Help on the networking part, not people repeating what I said but tips on how I can fix that situation.

I've also stated that is it's unfair we can't get a junior level jobs without wow/amazing portfolio.

I think it's really easy for artists who are inside looking out on us who are starving in the rain and dismissing the surrounding problems.

Hah! Don't confuse me on someone looking from inside out.
    Don't you dare tell me about unfair.
    I bust my ass all day doing graphic design work at a University in the ass of Redneck, USA for not much over min wage, no benefits and the Uni cock-blocking my bosses. I just finished a month and half of design work in under two weeks WHILE doing a complete website redesign for HR, running registers, answering the phones, preparing for a business trip next week and being laid off all of September (with accompanying unemployment office bullshit). That's AFTER a month and half of getting $500+k worth of NEW merchandise in our store, tagging/data entry/photographing/sorting AND the start of the semester rush with 3500+ web orders and countless students in the store.

So suck it up and get it done.

And yes I will post the facepalm. It's highly appropriate here. You post a rant on your view of the industry and why wont they hire you and then immediately give use the exact reasons why you aren't being hired.

I'm not trying to be an ass. I wish you all the luck in the world. I know you can do it. I really do want you to succeed but you have to look at it realistically.

No place will open a junior position just because you want the experience. If your portfolio is good enough, that covers the experience. They won't hire you on your potential. It's simple as that.

You want networking? You're at the right place. Network. Go do it. Respond to your portfolio critiques. Critique other's work. ENGAGE with the other posters around here. Make friends. If you in an area with the meetups/sketchgroups, GO!

Sure the economy is down, the industry this, the industry that, blame the industry, whatever, the jobs are there if you look enough and MAKE them want you. Make yourself an asset and not a liability.

You say you rank 50th or lower? Well, how many artists are in an average studio? Answer that and see where you fall.

You don't show any confidence in your abilities or your attitude. And I'm talking real confidence, not arrogance.
    You don't show us that you are someone that would be fun to work with.
    You don't come across as someone who can get it done.
    You're wary of the field. You don't want it bad enough.
    You're being overly defensive.
    You're sulking.
    You want a pity party.
    You want us to tell you to buck up and it'll be okay.
    But it won't happen unless you make it happen.

When was the last time your bosses told you they loved you?
    When was the last time YOUR bosses CRIED when they knew you had to take time off?
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Adding to what everyone said. It's about being persistent and putting your work out there, get feedback and improve. Rinse and repeat. The best thing you can do at this point is post your portfolio here and get some feedback.

Whatever you choose good luck. By the way, about the horror stories there are plenty more happy stories, they are just not as flashy or exciting as the horror ones, so people don't tell them.
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    You're in a bit of a conundrum here, you've gone out of your way to really get noticed on polycount here(which is a good thing), but you're doing it anonymously, and you seem quite bitter(which is a bad thing).

Even if I was curious about hiring you, after reading this thread and wanted to see some of your work I couldn't(which is a very bad thing).

Its really hard to know if you're any good, if you're really doing much to improve your work, if you're over or underestimating the quality of your own work, etc. Which in turn really makes it hard to even give you any advice. You can try to convince me that your work is good, that you're working very hard at improving, but its all pretty meaningless to just say it.

So unfortunately the net results of this thread is just going to be people calling your out for being a weirdo who creates a new account and is afraid to show his work, which isn't all that unreasonable, and people who feel pity for you and give you the "Hey, keep at it, man" speech. If all you're after is pity thats ok I guess, but if you want serious advice on your work and your career, you need to drop the anonymous stuff and be real.

This isn't a thread to gain popularity or land a job from. It isnt a thread for people to feel pity for me either, these are problems I've been facing and thinking in my head all the time so I've come and out and written it all down which in return gave me stress relieved and get opinions on it, I'm actually glad some people have admitted to similar problems I thought I'd just get bashed because I had negative review on the situation. I've also asked questions on the main post which most haven't really replied directly to.

I'm not afraid of putting out work. This is keeping in order. People complain about their bosses all the time, but hardly ever to their bosses faces, this is somewhat similar, don't shit where you eat. Although I'm not eating much....
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I read your entire post and I gotta agree with Adam. Networking isn't the way you'll get a job but it is one tool that you can most def take advantage of. Looking at my career so far in this industry most of my work has come from my relationships with the people that know me on this forum either from just being online, working with me, school with me, etc.

That still isn't enough though. You talk about not having an amazing portfolio. Well that's probably your number 1 problem. In the end it's all about art. I look at my folio and I know why I get passed up for jobs and I have years of experience, strong technical understandings on pipelines and tech art related tasks and basically anything else an enviro guy would need to know. I have worked on several titles and contributed on many titles as a freelancer BUT my biggest down fall is my portfolio.

I look at it and it's decent but it's not amazing. You look at guys like, well what Snefer has been doing recently and that is amazing work. That is the type of stuff that will land you jobs. That is the type of stuff that will teach you new techniques and will be a way to push yourself.

I love playing games BUT I also like to work and just this Monday I was let go from my job. I could have come home and just played Gears 3 or Rage but shit man, I got bills to pay and I can't be fucking around. I got on the phone, updated my folio, updated my linkedin, my resume, site info, posted on facebook, tweeted my followers, etc. I got the message out there as fast as possible that I was looking for a job. I got on every site and started applying to any job that was available and even sent my stuff to places that didn't have postings just in case they were still looking. It takes a lot of time to fill out all the apps, browse the sites, send all the stuff out but what else are you doing that is preventing you from getting it done? Games? Family? Movies? Other job? I've got a family, 2 small kids that want to hang out all the time and have fun and trust me I would rather do that any day of the week but you gotta sacrifice sometimes. I do that because I love what I do and want to stay a part of this industry and because of my persistence I already have several job leads, art tests and potentials. I've had several people I know on here call me a stubborn bastard and they are right. Don't just sit there and hang your head, it won't get you anywhere.

There are so many let downs in life and this industry as well with cancelled projects, studio closures, massive layoffs, politics, etc but it's a great thing to be a part of in the end and beats the hell out of retail or some office job.

So get back to work on your folio and make some kick ass pieces cause that is what is going to land you your job, and do some fucking networking for gods sake.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Threads like this attract so much attention.

I have the outlook that getting hired is a side effect or bonus... I enjoy what I do, i'd be doing it regardless because its what interests me, and it just so happens that by doing it i will eventually develop my skills to a point where other people will have a use for my ability.
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy I thought you were making a good / constructive post until this:
    snemmy wrote: »
    You don't show any confidence in your abilities or your attitude. And I'm talking real confidence, not arrogance.
    You don't show us that you are someone that would be fun to work with.
    You don't come across as someone who can get it done.
    You're wary of the field. You don't want it bad enough.
    You're being overly defensive.
    You're sulking.
    You want a pity party.
    You want us to tell you to buck up and it'll be okay.
    But it won't happen unless you make it happen.

So wrong, I think you broke a few of the seven deadly sins with the comment.

Besides that I really can't take you seriously flashing that Naruto icon about, surely you must be a kid.
  • EarthQuake
    This isn't a thread to gain popularity or land a job from. It isnt a thread for people to feel pity for me either, these are problems I've been facing and thinking in my head all the time so I've come and out and written it all down which in return gave me stress relieved and get opinions on it, I'm actually glad some people have admitted to similar problems I thought I'd just get bashed because I had negative review on the situation. I've also asked questions on the main post which most haven't really replied directly to.

I'm not afraid of putting out work. This is keeping in order. People complain about their bosses all the time, but hardly ever to their bosses faces, this is somewhat similar, don't shit where you eat. Although I'm not eating much....

Well then, spend less time creating threads to whine about how terrible your situation is, and more time creating productive threads, getting critiques on your work etc. I have no sympathy for someone who is going to hide behind an anonymous account and cry. Its just a waste of everyone's time.

This is more like taking out a classified ad anonymously in the paper to rant, than simply ranting to your friends. Your friends at-least know who you are and can possibly relate. With this you're just some random guy, and honestly, who cares?
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I didnt mind you until you posted

"Besides that I really can't take you seriously flashing that Naruto icon about, surely you must be a kid."

Now i think youre a fucking tool. Ah well, i probably wont have to work with you, right?
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    I didnt mind you until you posted

"Besides that I really can't take you seriously flashing that Naruto icon about, surely you must be a kid."

Now i think youre a fucking tool. Ah well, i probably wont have to work with you, right?

Ok Berserk boy. I feel where you coming from since you have a icon from an anime too. F* tool? really? I deserved that?
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Before my post on here gets thrown in with the OP's batch, im aware of the work involved and dedication needed to literally be the best and get hired. But people are only ever getting better, and eventually the immense technical work involved wont be worth the hassle of relocating or the not-so-great salary. But thats just me.

Im not one of those people who tried and failed and came to rant about the industry, I just realize how much time ill need to dedicate only to get better and better, and to not even be guaranteed a job when I get there. Or having to relocate possibly to another country, work overtime, etc etc.

Dunno, but ill be watching this thread. The Industry isn't the same for people just entering as it is for people who have been doing 3d since 199#
  • JDinges
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Erazor - just an FYI. your preconceptions as to what artist salaries are is way off. If you get in with a reputable company, which there are many, you will get paid well, even as a junior/associate. This is a VERY financially viable career, it's just a bit volatile.

Good luck with everything.
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges wrote: »
    Erazor - just an FYI. your preconceptions as to what artist salaries are is way off. If you get in with a reputable company, which there are many, you will get paid well, even as a junior/associate. This is a VERY financially viable career, it's just a bit volatile.

Good luck with everything.

Thanks... But it may be because im referring to UK wages? Pound salary. I doubt they are really that far off as that what people have said on forums, salary websites and Salaries mention on job adverts...
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    No, you didnt deserve it and it essentially puts me on your level of making a quick assumption based on a small amount of information.
  • EarthQuake
    Ok Berserk boy. I feel where you coming from since you have a icon from an anime too. F* tool? really? I deserved that?

Hey, that's the nice thing about creating an account just to bitch right? No accountability. At-least JackWhat has the decency to stand by his statements when he's being an asshole.

Snemmy actually gave you some very good advice, but you're far too dismissive and defensive to listen. You brush off his post because he... has an anime character for an avatar? Good move.
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    Before my post on here gets thrown in with the OP's batch, im aware of the work involved and dedication needed to literally be the best and get hired. But people are only ever getting better, and eventually the immense technical work involved wont be worth the hassle of relocating or the not-so-great salary. But thats just me.

Im not one of those people who tried and failed and came to rant about the industry, I just realize how much time ill need to dedicate only to get better and better, and to not even be guaranteed a job when I get there. Or having to relocate possibly to another country, work overtime, etc etc.

Dunno, but ill be watching this thread. The Industry isn't the same for people just entering as it is for people who have been doing 3d since 199#

I agree, if you people just put their love for game art aside and saw the work as overall it will probably wont have much attraction for it. I guess the that the burden of something that is a hobby/work.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    But I still love doing it, the uncertainty of success is what gets me.
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackwhat and EarthQuake, I did mention he was making a good point until he turn around and turn into a judgemental b**** assuming all that crap. Im not singling anyone out I'am talking about the industry as a whole, not people. His first post was a facepalm. Yes that's what you are protecting constructive critisim childish at best.

EarthQuake you keep mentioning that this thread is pointless and useless and im some random guy, why dont you get out of it already why contradict yourself.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    ".....doing 3d since 199#"

you kids today with your fancy uv tools, and 4096x4096 maps...-waves cane-
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I think ur biggest problems is ur seeming lack of specialization. Why the hell would you know both abt particles AND rigging? I know only one thing. Environment Modeling.

Also, networking is important. Here's how I broke into the industry.
    I competed in the eat3d Competition #1 and won 3rd place. I got the contact info of one of the judges who worked at ID Software. I sent him an email, and got an art test. Then I became an intern, and now I'm full time.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    ".....doing 3d since 199#"

you kids today with your fancy uv tools, and 4096x4096 maps...-waves cane-
    Lol not what I meant. You were all available when the game industry exploded, and everyone behind you are just hoards of aspiring artists
  • erazor_2011
    Offline / Send Message
    mheyman wrote: »
    To answer your post:

1. I have no idea what you're talking about. When I graduated in May I was able to apply to numerous jobs that were all posted online. And I only ended up applying to like 20% of the jobs I could. And to address your argument that 5000 other applicants also jump at those positions, well be better than them. This is a skill based career, if you don't want to accept that then give up. The best portfolio wins.

2. This relates to what I was just saying. So the industry is flooded with applicants, that doesn't make them all good. Be better then them. You won't get into the industry with a lackluster portfolio even if you are only one of 4 people applying. Every industry has people out of work looking for jobs. You act surprised that only the most qualified get in.

3. Stooping low? What are you even talking about? What studio out there wants to hire an employee that is obviously worse than anyone else working there? How does that improve the studio? It doesn't matter if you've been doing 3d game art for 1 year or 10 years, you need to be good. Again this is a skill based industry, accept it.

4. I have no idea where you live or what currency you are measuring in but where in the world did you get 16k as a starting salary. Most junior level salaries are 30k at the least, some can even reach 50k. Again you act like this is an industry of luck. People aren't successful because they are lucky, they are successful because they work pretty freaking hard at it. There is no reason you couldn't become a director if you worked your ass off to do it. If you want to cry that the rest of the world is lucky and you are not you should go protest on wall street or something. What kind of reward do you want? A crown or perhaps a brand new car? You get a salary, bonuses, benefits, and even more depending on the studio you work at. Yes it is true not all studios are created equally but come on do you really think the whole industry is sitting at the bottom of the barrel?

5. Skill based industry, deal with it.

6. I have always thought mod groups to be sketchy, I would never join one and would only start one with friends I know in real life. Even then I wouldnt take it that seriously.

7. Again you are generalizing the "industry". Some studios are bad and other studios have better working conditions. If you want to get into one of those better studios, become a better artist.

8. Outsourcing does suck but I really don't think it's that big of a problem for you. What you want are skills that can't be outsourced. Sure anyone could model a barrel, but there are other artistic skills that you wont find just anywhere.

Other people have touched on networking so I won't bother. Even with networking getting someone into the industry with an ok portfolio would be difficult for your contacts. You claim to have a "decent enough" portfolio, well obviously it is not decent enough. I know plenty of friends who graduated and were immediately hired, they all had stellar portfolios.

Stop blaming the industry for your problems and work harder. The industry isn't perfect but at the same time it isn't putting up and impassable wall in front of you.

Good luck with your job hunt, I hope you put in the work to get a job.

Thanks Mheyman, This is what I like a bit of harsh post, but still constructive. I have read it and believe me I am considering the things you said. Although you pointed out the most common thing to much "get over it" doesn't work like that mate... You can't go to Africa and Say "ITS TOUGH GET OVER IT" the goverment can't tell you "ITS TOUGH GET OVER IT". But nethertheless you made some good points. Thanks.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

EarthQuake you keep mentioning that this thread is pointless and useless and im some random guy, why dont you get out of it already why contradict yourself.

Telling a mod and one of the most helpful and best member of our community to "get out" of a thread is making you look like an arogant asshole. I guess you're right, its probably a good idea not to post your work.
This discussion has been closed.