Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi environment, Concept by Mensaje Pagina Juan

Hi there, so i've been working into this piece for a while and i will already admit i've become very lazy... so this is infact my attempt to break out of the laziness and get neck deep back into my work... here's my high-poly so far and i'd love some feedback... perhaps about scale, some ideas to put in this which isn't in the concept as well... there are areas in the concept i can't quite make out myself but my mind is full of ideas which unfortunately just aren't transmitting efficiently onto paper or onto a canvas for me haha... so any help would be most appreciated =)

The concept by Mensaje Pagina Juan
tech_environment_by_kaizendesign-d3fzgeo.jpg

My most recent high poly WIP.
kaizendesign_WIP03.jpg

There are several parts of this concept that i couldn't quite work out i.e. the centre ornament piece... so i had to try and re-interpret it... so some crits about it not looking the same wouldn't quite help me but what would be most helpful is if people think it's not quite working... then i'd be more than happy to change things if people can provide me some reference to work from xDD or just ideas in general haha.

Here's what the centre ornament looks like on the top
kaizendesign_WIP04.jpg

C&C soon please :3

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    your highpoly doesn't look very 'highpoly'

add more sub-divitions and define more detail.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    ^ That's probably because his edge loops are to tight and also probably because of the bad lighting/render setup he has going.
    Btw, I think the back wall is to far back (The one with the door) compared to the concept. Good job so far, keep at it!
    Edit: also, when presenting your high poly work, make sure to show some with out any wireframe. (Also do what Alberto said and add some more sub-divisions because I can't really see none.)
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Here's some scaling errors:
    - The hole in the middle piece is too big, in the concept art, all the pieces around are curved inside, not chamfered cubes
    - There's too much space between the main door (talking about the corner)
    - The "TV" is too wide, make it higher, not larger
    - Reduce the space between the modular pillar and the mirrors, mirrors are close to the pillar on the concept art
    - Pull down your "top generator", it's suppose to be bigger
  • AngryMindtricks
    okies, thanks for the feedback guys.

@josh
    Yeah, my edge loops are quite tight so that's probably why it doesn't too that high poly, i'll untighten some areas =)
    Also, sorry about the bad lighting... just wanted something in there. I'll fix it for the next update and same goes with anymore wireframes on the high-poly. (guess i still thought it was neccessary to show for some reason xD)

@megalmn2000
    alright, thanks for the scale tips... now that i look at the top generator it looks absolutely different in size haha, i'll fix that for the next update too :D... also in response to the back door in the scene, someone on game artists (A experienced illustrator) told me that the back door should have been pushed back a bit because it would confuse viewers on what the main focus of the image would be... but it was in fact closer before... but if you think the backdoor's not working too well further back i'd be more than happy to change it back? =)

keep em coming guys, next update will be up soon n_n
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I think next time it would be great if you can start with a blocking mesh so you can rapidly change your scaling based on feedback of people. Something, it's painful to restart a high poly, if it's complex. But in your case, they look pretty easy to fix.
  • AngryMindtricks
    Here's the most recent update on my scene, implemented more or less all the feedback i've received here so far (i hope anyways xD)

more C&C welcome.

Also, the wall panels are missing because i'm going to remodel them again...

kaizendesign_WIP06.jpg
    kaizendesign_WIP05.jpg
  • AngryMindtricks
    Completed High-Poly for now... just waiting for any major problems that people might point out until i move onto the low poly =)

kaizendesign_WIP07.jpgkaizendesign_WIP08.jpg
  • AngryMindtricks
    Sorry for the slow updates... but this is what i've accomplished today.

It's not finished (far from finished anyways)... but it's a check point for where i'm going with this...

So this is the furthest wall in the concept... i thought it'd be nice to start with it since the door itself attracts a lot of focus to this concept...

C&C very welcome.

kaizendesign_WIP09.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Those are some big ass scratches, did a dragon go in there and claw everything to pieces?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Computron wrote: »
    Those are some big ass scratches, did a dragon go in there and claw everything to pieces?

Ok, you win.
  • AngryMindtricks
    Alright, i went back and redid things.

I've nullified my scratch details and added a few bits and changed a few things too.

kaizendesign_WIP10.jpg

Hope this is a good start in the right direction.

C&C welcome =)
  • james567
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what this project has potential for. I don't think you should take the concept literally though. The concept in 2d makes sense, but some elements need to be pulle4d back a bit. That left wall is so busy that my eye draws to it immediately. Even when you get the center console in there, they will be competing for focal points i think. Make the pattern a little less frequent and this is me being picky now, but I don't know if that saturated blue light on the door would compliment the scene, unless you want to eye to lead to the door. I would say desaturate the blue a little bit and let the post process light that emmissive up for more realism later on. The door is standing out well, I think you just need a little more spec focus on the wall around the door, it's hard for me to easily define what the material is even from all the angles you shot it from. Keep it up man
  • AngryMindtricks
    Thanks a lot, actually yeah i've received loads of feedback about focal point issues with the concept... i would have to say your post right now just changed my direction with the concept because i've heard this too much to ignore or steer away from now.

So i'll try define a focal point of this image now and I'll cut down the blue neons no problem.
    I did think about just using UDK lighting to bring the lights of the door out... just wasn't quite sure (i guess the thrill of using a glow map is what drove me to do it haha.

Also, when you mean the material around the door do you mean the framing which goes around the door and light?

Also, for the left side which i've mentally named the "control panel thingy" haha... the patterns are quite noisy but i was kinda hoping that when i bake it in and texture it a bit... perhaps i could drop it's focal disruption with a bit of shadow toning work? or would you say it's probably better to just come up with a different use for that panel? or would it probably be better to make it look as dirty as hell (dirt covered dustiness) kind of thing to drop it's shiny attraction?

Thanks for the feedback =)
  • AngryMindtricks
    Haven't posted for a week now but it's because i've been in the lab and stuff xD...

here's my current progress... being perfectly honest i hate how iv'e textured the wall on the left (the control panel) so i intend to redo it so i would appreciate some great ideas and crits for approaching it again... other than that all other C&C is very welcome.

kaizendesign_WIP11.jpg
  • AngryMindtricks
    Update!

So i've been here and there for the last week so haven't put loads of attention into this but i've basically finished blocking out where things go (geometry wise) in engine now... now it's really just about polishing up these textures and making the lighting/post-processing of my level look good, also only geometry based bits i'm still meant to put in is the cables and some more foliage.

kaizendesign_WIP12.jpg

C&C very welcome still :D
  • AngryMindtricks
    Here's the new update.

added the cables, adjusted some of the lighting, added a few assets, redid some textures/geometry, created a extended corridor to the concept with modular pieces that i've made.

Still got a few textures to fix and polish up... then some post-production nodes and animated textures since the lifelessness of the lights really annoy me because they don't sell the idea of energy flowing through them.

Still a WIP so crits are still welcome.

kaizendesign_WIP13.jpg
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    i know it matches the concept, but it's very dull with all that black and no interesting specularity
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    I think this looks great! I agree with SasoChicken, maybe have the planet a different colour (doesn't necessarily have to be earth!)
  • AngryMindtricks
    oh snap, didn't even notice i got some responses xD...

I've hit my bandwidth for this month sadly so all my images are blocked until the end of the month (rage)... but i can describe my current update... i've added a lot of changes to materials recently, reflection, etc... i've tried to change some of the black bits but unfortunately it just doesn't look that good? this scene was originally based around metalic based colours so it looks absolutely weird breaking from it (i've tried going to blue, orange, silver, red, etc) but they all failed visually when i placed the new textures in engine... but i've tried to break up the darkness by lightening the floor panels, walls etc and giving it a better variation in tone? hopefully that'll work out...

i'm currently dumping my movie frames so i'll have a video up soon.

@Saso, That's actually a nice idea... i'll include the changes in my next update after the movie file =)
  • AngryMindtricks
    mmm... so here is my most recent update... i've already received a bunch of feddback on another forum so i'm gonna start cutting back into this piece again soon but i'm still looking for some feedback here too.

CC very welcome!

http://vimeo.com/32489297
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    bandwidth limit reached on the images
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    The most apparent thing I noticed is how different the overall feel of your scene is from the concept you chose, color and lighting wise. Not sure if you were going for complete recreation though.
  • AngryMindtricks
    mmm my original intention was most definitely to copy the overall elements from the concept but people made it apparent that i didn't have to folow the concept completely... so i played with the lighting a bit... if you don't feel like the new lighting/colour grading works that well then i'd be more than happy to change it back... really just looking for people's preferences haha... but my scene is still actually green etc but i've post-processed it to achieve that yellow/red kind of tint. and yeah all my bandwidth is used up =[ hopefully it'll reset soon!