Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

'Diablo' Cinematic Project

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
Hello everyone!

So it's now been around 3 months since I finished my Maruader Project, and it's now time for me to go back to school and I've been lucky enough to persuade my teacher onto letting me do a personal project once again. So now it's on!

So, what is this?
This project is first and foremost NOT an in-engine rendered cinematic and it's not lowpoly with normalmaps. My big dream is to work with the Blizzard Cinematics team that does all the pre-rendered cinematics for their games. I'm tailoring my portfolio for game related VFX.

My plan is to make a prerendered cinematic related to the Diablo universe somehow and hopefully in the end catch the attention of Blizzard.
It's my first go around doing an animated cinematic by myself, so it's gonna be a challenge and fun!

I'm basing the entire cinematic around this piece of Diablo 3 concept art by an unknown Blizzard artist:
artwork-0078-large.jpg

The plan
The project is a school project, and therefor it will have a hard deadline(the 16th of December). So I've decided to somehow limit myself in by only making what people would refer to as a teaser. I'm aiming for around 10-12 seconds of 3d renders, but it should also feature some green screen footage with a matte painting.

The production of everything will start tomorrow(the 10th of October), so that's when I start posting the progress. I've done some R&D on different subjects related to what I want to end up with. Forexample the candles and how to do them efficiently in 3d.

I'll start posting storyboards etc. as soon as I've made them.

I look forward to the project and the result, and hopefully Polycount will help me make it as good as possible :)

Replies

• Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    Everything related to Blizzard sounds amazing to me hehe !
    I'll look really close to your thread and hopefully I'll have you some good critics to give you ;)

Have fun and good luck !
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    sounds nice, i like the Marauder !
    Good luck !
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    I will be keeping an eye on this..good luck! Sounds like a really fun project!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Saw this on G+. Looking forard to it :)
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, first update!

While I'm not the best concept artist in the world, I managed to come up with a storyboard that I think illustrates what I want to do in the this little cinematic teaser.
    Storyboard_02.jpg

If anything doesn't make sense, please do tell!
    Onward to some different concept art of the pieces.. I'll also put together a little moodboard of different inspirations/reference images I've found.

edit: updated storyboard
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    I'm curious if frame 3-4-5 are different shots or if they have any camera action.
    Oh and arrows are cool, like a arrow from where the silhoutte person enters.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar wrote: »
    I'm curious if frame 3-4-5 are different shots or if they have any camera action.
    Oh and arrows are cool, like a arrow from where the silhoutte person enters.

Good point! I'll incorporate some motion into it, the idea is that everything almost is one long camera animation

edit: updated to storyboard.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Liking the storyboard so far, can't wait to see what kind of modeling you do with this style.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept_Art_01.jpg
    Some more stuff, slowly getting into the rhytm
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, I personally wouldn't bother doing artworks for such asset but you're probably warming up :poly124:

Keep it up !
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss wrote: »
    Looks good, I personally wouldn't bother doing artworks for such asset but you're probably warming up :poly124:

Keep it up !

Yeah it's just a warm up, getting a feel for the project while I'm doing some basic problem solving in my head and consulting different people about techniques that will help me achieve this in a very short deadline.

My plan is to start doing proxy meshes and an animatic either from thursday and maybe a little bit in the weekend. Once that is down, I'll start pumping out assets!
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, v0.1 of the Animatic.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozI2Cy59g8w"]D3C Animatic v01 - YouTube[/ame]

Already got some feedback on it, but if you guys have anything, feel free to post it, I will do a sweep of it at some point tomorrow.

edit: A friend of mine suggested I might break up the long camera walk up towards the window with some flashbacks in best blizzard style. The main problem with my animatic is that it isn't really telling a story. I could use the flash backs to do some cheap narrating. Thoughts?

edit 2: I'm thinking about having the flashbacks be something like this:

1 - You see the interior of the tower where a shadow gets projected up onto the wall by the candles, and then you see the shadow drawing a weapon.

2. You hear some struggeling and when its done, you focus on a candle where the flame gets blown out.(cheap symbolic animation, but I think it would help sell the idea of a person getting killed)
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadows stuff sounds good ! This is my idea :

You could make a second window at the bottom/middle of the tower, where, when the camera goes by, you could see few shadows of warriors (or demons?) running upstairs.
    Then you could play a narrator voice on top of the video (if you are able to record a nice voice) who could say a few words just to let the spectator wonder, like "I did that.. blah blah..but I should have known the would kill me.."
    Then, once the camera has reached the top window, you introduce the shadow thing with the sword or/AND? the candles turning off ?
    It would be like a magician being executed by humans or killed by demons ?

Anyway, keep it up !
  • Kdogma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What if the title was at the end, like a revelation?
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Looks nice, but as the camera approaches the window its kinda boring, maybe if the camera would go in a spiral around the tower as it climbs up, and as stated above, you could add another window with some shadowy figures or something to make the "story" richer.
    Looks nice so far!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Cant wait to see the final render of it. :D
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the reply guys, this is the sort of feedback I was hoping for :)

@Cremuss, thanks for the ideas. I'll keep them in mind as I work on the animatic here in the weekend

@Kdogma, good idea. I actually had an idea at some point to use the diablo 3 logo.. but I'm not sure if I should do that.

@Paenescu.Daniel, I think the flashbacks would help break that up and make the story richer :)

@Nitewalkr, me neither :-)
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update, Animatic v0.2
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgMT8ODAx0"]D3C Animatic v02 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Looking fab so far mate. At the start maybe you could have some crow calls to set a dire scene. Well thats the impression i'm getting at the moment anyways. You could also add birdcage in the background of the study with a crow or a raven making a fuss. It would add a nice piece of secondary animation into the mix.

Anyways great job so far. I'll be keeping my eye on this. Good luck.
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    On the context of your most recent animatic alone (without reading any of your preface other than the fact that you have a hard deadline) I can tell you that so far, you're not communicating a message or a story through visuals alone.

I am not trying to say that your visuals "arent stunning", but I am telling you that the designs/forms/scenes and overall pacing of the video seems very loose and the story seems to go anywhere my mind wants to?

At this point you'd benefit the most from having music.... not sure if you have it or if my sound wasnt working properly? but doing cuts on the music would improve the feeling of the beatboard

Also, Blizzard never puts the title of their project at the beginning of the cinematic, nor do they hold on it for 10 seconds. Dont do that. Put you title screen either after the "set up" shot (the first shot) or on the last frames.

Other than that, you need to work on communicating a visual narrative.... everything builds up to looking in to a window, and once I finally do, nothing appears to be awesome or memorable.

Finally, the less cuts you use, the better off you'll be. Take this with a grain of salt, as its completely subject... as is my entire critique.

Good luck
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaand I'm back!

@Limewax, thanks for your honest feedback! I can see there are some holes in my animatic and I'm in the progress of figuring out how to resolve it.

Anyways, so I'm gonna put the animatic on hold until I get some ideas on how to fix the problems. While we are waiting I've made my skull basemesh that I'm about to put into zbrush for some wear and tear and also some proportion fixing.
    Skull_Front01.JPGSkull_Side01.JPGSkull_Bottom01.JPGSkull_Wire01.JPG
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moar progress!
    Skull_HighpolyRender01.jpg
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey !

Looks good :)
    I don't have much to say except that the crack looks strange to me. It Seems that the wave frequency is too high or something ?

Anyway keep it up !
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wavy cracks you see on the back of the skull is the result of the skull merging together as you grow. At birth your frontal and parietal bone aren't connected. The 'crack' is called The Coronal Suture
    coronal_suture-1005.jpg
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skull_HighpolyRender02.jpg
    The candle shader is in a very early stage
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so I'm not dead!

Reason why I haven't updated in a while is cause I had to change the project in order to meet the deadline and actually focus on what I'm good at.

So, here's the deal:

The project has been changed to depict a lieutenant of sin, one of Azmodan's(the lesser evil featured in the Black Soulstone cinematic) council and the one of the creatures you see sitting on their throne and 'weeping' smoke.

So I've been working on the design and zbrush part of the lieutenant, and at the moment I'm here:
    Lesser_evil03.JPG
  • Devarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a suggestion for the first one though it would lengthen the project, but I'll save it ;). As for the second cinematic do you have a storyline that you're trying to depict that you could share?
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Devarter wrote: »
    I had a suggestion for the first one though it would lengthen the project, but I'll save it ;). As for the second cinematic do you have a storyline that you're trying to depict that you could share?

I'll do a quick storyboard and some general ideas when I get home and have acces to my work PC :)
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    Moar progress!
    Skull_HighpolyRender01.jpg

oddball anyone? :P looks great man!
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dUpdate! Got the thing into 3ds max and working with vray displacement. Baking errors and what not needs to be fixed!Lesser_evil04_Vray.jpg
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i do like the gigeresque design, but the guy makes me think of some alien rather than a demon. do you have some ref pics of him?

also, it seems you made him thinnner than in earlier version. he looked better with broader arms imo.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    i do like the gigeresque design, but the guy makes me think of some alien rather than a demon. do you have some ref pics of him?

also, it seems you made him thinnner than in earlier version. he looked better with broader arms imo.

My reference mainly comes from pics of Diablo himself I've found around the internet and also the lietuenants of sin that the Diablo Black soulstone cinematic feature @ 1:34:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3fpBNij36Q"]Trailer: Diablo III Black Soulstone Cinematic - YouTube[/ame]
    (you can also soo some Zbrush renders of them in the Making of panel from Blizzcon 2011)
    The reason why I made him so 'thin' and fragile looking is because his role in the demon army is actually a council for Azmodan, so he will do nothing but sit down on the throne, and I actually found it hard to design a demon that ain't a brute and rely on their muscles, so I guess it's inevitable that I ended up with something very alien like. With that being said, there are design elements about him I'm not completly satisfied with, but the deadline makes sure I have no time to go about and fixing everything, so I gotta stick with what I got at the moment and hopefully my post and environment will make up for it. :-)
  • Urkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel that the cracks in the skull should be a bit more subtle. Also in the image you posted last page, I saw subtle lines sticking out of the cracks.
    Most demons in the cinematic from blizzard have some characteristic feature, maybe something to have a look at.

Awesome project, you're doing great. I'm very interested in your progress. Good luck!