Home General Discussion

Got punked by apple again.

Replies

• buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    You guys obviously dont realise the effects this will have on games. The power of the A5 chip is incredible, our UNREAL engine game runs 60 fps on this thing. Expect to see console quality games on these devices in the near future. It will most likely end up competing against nintendo and sony in the hand held markets once developers realise the potential of these devices.

A phone that can now run near current gen graphics? And people complain? I dont get it..
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get a shitty basic phone - you'll never regret it.
    this.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Who here actually enjoys mobile gaming with on screen sticks? The graphics are CPU keep getting better but the input system is still pretty prohibitive.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I use my shitty phone to phone and my killer pc to play.

What really annoys me with Apple is, they make an update and bam, your old phone is now twice slower, forcing you to buy their new phone. Agressive marketing my ass.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Who here actually enjoys mobile gaming with on screen sticks? The graphics are CPU keep getting better but the input system is still pretty prohibitive.

This. This. This.

I mean, I love my iPhone but would never consider it a 'portable gaming platform'.

The only games that I enjoy on it are the touch interface style puzzle games or TD games where they actually benefit from a touch screen. I despise the whole 'imaginary analogue sticks' thing and moving with the gyroscope is even worse.

I usually download the graphically impressive games and think yeah they look great as far as I can see, but I can't see a lot because MY FUCKING THUMBS ARE COVERING THE SCREEN. I've got somewhat feminine hands too so my thumbs aren't even massive.

Having said that, I dislike the same input on my iPad too, it just feels odd to be moving something that isn't technically there, I feel like I need some tactile feedback. And not one of those dumb stick on things or handheld cases.

Still, Apple will continue to quote figures which don't actually mean what we want them to mean like 'iPod touch is the most popular portable gaming platform'. Lol...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r: I go with accelerometer controls whenever they're available, onscreen sticks just frustrate me. There are a number of great games that use controls suitable to the platform, though. Tapping, swiping and accelerometer controls are a great way of playing games if they're designed properly for them.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9

Stick controls mean the developers were to scared to try something new, different or innovative.
    My goal for our ( future) products is to have stick controls as an option incase players want it, not the default input.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Noors wrote: »
    I use my shitty phone to phone and my killer pc to play.

What really annoys me with Apple is, they make an update and bam, your old phone is now twice slower, forcing you to buy their new phone. Agressive marketing my ass.

Same goes for any OS out in the world. Don't expect your 5 year old PC to run Windows 7 with all the features on smoothly. If they had to constantly make sure that 5 year old hardware runs everything great, we wouldn't see any new things being added.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    Same goes for any OS out in the world. Don't expect your 5 year old PC to run Windows 7 with all the features on smoothly. If they had to constantly make sure that 5 year old hardware runs everything great, we wouldn't see any new things being added.

with the exception of android. Androids been getting more feature rich and better optimised for the last 2 or 3 releases. Thats down to work on the VM though, which i guess isnt comparable to platforms running native code. at the end of the day though my HTC Desire is running faster than when i bought it 2 versions ago.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    with the exception of android. Androids been getting more feature rich and better optimised for the last 2 or 3 releases. Thats down to work on the VM though, which i guess isnt comparable to platforms running native code. at the end of the day though my HTC Desire is running faster than when i bought it 2 versions ago.

Are there any 5 year old Android devices atm. running Ice Cream Sandvich(or whatever the new codename is)? The only iPhones that wont support iOS 5 is the 1G and 3G, and the iPhone 3G(which I have) is running very old hardware.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    Are there any 5 year old Android devices atm. running Ice Cream Sandvich(or whatever the new codename is)? The only iPhones that wont support iOS 5 is the 1G and 3G, and the iPhone 3G(which I have) is running very old hardware.

sorry man, misread your post. I have no idea if any 5 yr old handsets are running android 2.x/3.x Its up to the manufacturer to release updates for their handsets, I'd say its perfectly possible but unlikely.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    <3 the shit out of my blackberry bold thats almost 2 years old thats synced to me playbook..

if I want games I got me a PC and PS3. I sometimes play poker still on my blackberry .. the one that came with the phone..

I stopped buying games for my playbook, I got deadspace, and played it for 5 minutes before the interface annoyed the shit out of me..
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

I prefer games that are developed with the iOS devices interfacing in mind.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    I get why people love iphone and its fine, but its not for me. No 1 reason for not using the phone would be Itunes. Can't stand that thing. Recently had one of HDDs plugged of so part of music library went missing. The damn thing doesn't have rescan/update feature! Its 2011 and somehow no one thought that would be useful.
    Got 1st gen ipod touch and the build quality is great, but the software side is awful.
    At the moment considering getting Windows phone. love the zune player, the ui, which looks mature and thought out compared to iOS beveled, shiny icons etc. Also better integration in upcoming Windows 8 is a plus.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    If only I could hook my iPhone up to the TV, and output in HD the game I was playing complete with some kind of pad, be it bluetooth or something else... That would rock my socks.

But gaming on an iPhone? Unless its Angry Birds or something simple, its a bit wank, to be honest... The controls are just not there...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    odium wrote: »
    If only I could hook my iPhone up to the TV, and output in HD the game I was playing complete with some kind of pad, be it bluetooth or something else... That would rock my socks.

Heh - I think you sort of described the Wii U.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    STILL doesn't support Flash. WTF?
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    odium wrote: »

But gaming on an iPhone? Unless its Angry Birds or something simple, its a bit wank, to be honest... The controls are just not there...

If you own an Apple tv you can do wireless screen mirroring for the 4s and iPad 2.

As for the complaints regarding iTunes and syncing, with ios5 you don't need to connect to iTunes any more. Everything is handled to the cloud. They give yu 5gb free which is enough to backup your contacts emails and settings. You can redownload any purchased app or song on the device it self.

IF you still want to backup and sync with your computer ios5 now let's you wirelessly sync to iTunes. It will also back up your phone automatically if it is connected to a power source and the computer is on.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    STILL doesn't support Flash. WTF?

There is *literally* no website out there that uses flash that I use. And I visit a ton of sites on a daily basis. Besides advertising banners and flash games, what would you possibly want Flash for?
    This is where you trump me and say Unreal!
    :D
  • Carl Brannstrom
    adam wrote: »
    There is *literally* no website out there that uses flash that I use. And I visit a ton of sites on a daily basis. Besides advertising banners and flash games, what would you possibly want Flash for?

Youtube?

I know there's a Youtube app but it only include videos adjusted for mobile devices so you miss out like 2/3 of all videos on YT...
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12

Yout...

goddammit, Carl was first.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17

HA, Unreal, indeed, and other Flash based games. Just seems odd. I've read the lack of Flash support is a response to streaming content vs itunes, but don't know enough about the whole spiel.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Isn't youtube html5 yet? I know they have a html5 version from ipads and such.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I believe Youtube made the switch to html5. Honestly, video will no longer be the reason you'd need flash, once html is fully rolled out (which it basically is).

One site that I know is useless without flash, is the Disney World site (and probably disneyland). If you go their to book a vacation, using your iPad (like a friend of mine tried), you can't do shit. Given, that it's partially Disney's fault, for not offering an HTML alternative, but I suspect part of it is for security reasons (not that flash can't be hacked though).

All that aside, why should Apple be the one to determine if I can use flash or not? Why should web developers, some of which specialize in flash, have to change their sites to provide content for Apple devices? I agree that flash has a history of not being the most stable and efficient product, but let me have that choice.
    I think it just comes down to a corporate cock fight, and the consumer is stuck in the middle of it. Flash has worked great on my Android, and I don't know how efficient it is, but I haven't noticed it destroying my phone.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    You can opt in to HTML5 video if you have a compatible browser. Chrome and Firefox work.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    notman wrote: »
    All that aside, why should Apple be the one to determine if I can use flash or not? Why should web developers, some of which specialize in flash, have to change their sites to provide content for Apple devices? I agree that flash has a history of not being the most stable and efficient product, but let me have that choice.
    I think it just comes down to a corporate cock fight, and the consumer is stuck in the middle of it. Flash has worked great on my Android, and I don't know how efficient it is, but I haven't noticed it destroying my phone.
    Apple isn't the one to determine that.. You are. Apple didn't force you to buy an ios device.
    They chose not to support flash on a product they designed and created.. Pretty sure they have the right to do what ever they want with their own product.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Am i the only one who thinks that the name is a little bit unbefitting?
    Most people i know say iphone for ass( i know it´s not exactly pronounced like that but since when do people care about that)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Steve Jobs died?!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Note to self, do not punk "hitmon"infinity
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    VPrime wrote: »
    Apple isn't the one to determine that.. You are. Apple didn't force you to buy an ios device.
    They chose not to support flash on a product they designed and created.. Pretty sure they have the right to do what ever they want with their own product.

You're right, they didn't force me to buy an iOS device, and I haven't. I have an iPod, but because I wanted it for media, not browsing the web.

I just get upset at someone trying to tell consumers what they want, despite what the consumer is telling them. People may still be buying the iOS devices, but mainly because there isn't a good enough alternative. Once there is a better replacement, people will run away from Apple.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    notman wrote: »
    I just get upset at someone trying to tell consumers what they want, despite what the consumer is telling them. .
    Yeah.. but this is nothing new from him
    Steve Jobs wrote:
    A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.