Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barbed Wire Baseball Bat

Replies

• thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinkinmonkey polycounter lvl 15
    Ok, now tell me where I can buy one!!!
    Nice assets and thanks for sharing tecniques.
    Just a question, what did you use for normal/ao baking?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    @thinkinmonkey,
    Cheers! :)

I use xNormal almost exclusively for all my baking as the CUDA rendering is super fast :)
    The only thing I ever render out of Blender are the base colour diffuse maps, but its mainly a speed issue.
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I needed to know.
    Thanks a lot.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Really enjoyed looking at the process. Simple and effective. :) Looks great but still more details to add on the bat. [HP] has the right idea. ;) from good -> awesome if you know what I mean. Btw awesome idea with the baseball. Smiled a lil when i saw it. Keep on blending! :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    @thinkinmonkey,
    No problem :)

@SsSandu_C,
    Thanks, man! I still have to get round to finding some more time to add some details to the bat. I'm getting there, but there isn't much to show, as of yet.

Just a small update for the Baseball/Grenade. Apart from thinking of a way to secure the barbed wire to the surface, I think I'm about done with it...unless anyone can see anything that I missed.

Baseball_WIP_2.jpg

Comments and critique are welcome :)
  • Jenn0_Bing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jenn0_Bing polycounter lvl 7
    The way you've turned the grenade into a baseball is great. As for fixing it, could you tie it around the neck of the grenade and then bind the two hoops together at the bottom? Would prevent it from slipping off. But as has been said, I don't think it would need any serious fixing anyway, once bent into a shaped like that the barbed wire wouldn't give easily.
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe using scotch tape?
    Baseball_WIP_2_scotch.jpg

But Jenn0 is right.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks guys!
    Maybe some sort of transparent tape would be in order :)
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so how are you supposed to hold this grenade?? i can just see somebody pulling the pin and then getting poked and dropping it at there feet....BOOM
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I would probably wear gloves :P
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Or as a trap. The barbed wire would certainly hurt as shrapnels :\
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys!

I finally got an hour or so to get stuck into this again and managed to do a first pass on the wood grain and leather straps!
    The wear on the straps may be a little much at the moment, but I can always refine that later :)

I also did a light corrosion pass on the barbedwire, but I'm not sure if that is up to scratch. (no pun intended)

ZBrush beauty render wood grain and straps
    Baseball_Bat_WIP_8a_ZBrush_Grey.jpg

ZBrush beauty render straps close up
    Baseball_Bat_WIP_8b_ZBrush_Grey.jpg

• metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I was asked over at BlenderArtists how I did the damage for the end of the bat, so I made a quick animated gif to show the workflow and thought that maybe some of you guys would find it useful too :)
    It's pretty simple and is basically the same technique that I use for sculpting stone (apart from the scratches and lack of multiple damage passes)

Baseball_Bat_Damaged_End_Tutorial.gif

If you use ZBrush, you can grab the brushes I made from HERE. (I used the Morph_Spray1 and the Standard_StoneEdges brushes)
    I also used Michael Vicente's (Orb) Orb_Cracks brush for the scratches, which you can get HERE (Cheers Orb!)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome progresses so far, and a special thank you for that gif! This is what a good share of workflow looks like, hope people did it more often!

Thanks man.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks Helder!
    Glad you enjoyed the gif :)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    That is a great workflow tip, thanks Andy! Also, congrats on the clean bake, I wouldn't even know where to start on the low poly for the barbed wire.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks felipefrango :)
    I'm not even sure if I will actually make the LP like that...depending on how many polys I have, I may even be able to model the wire :)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Ooh, nice, that would look even better indeed. I'm still surprised at how good it looks baked on a flat cylinder though.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome man, thanks for the gif, gives me new ideas of how to do stuff.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work! Thanks for the play by plays and the brushes :D
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big thanks for the gif and the eat3d tutorial too.

About the stripes, I don't know how they are in reality, but maybe you could smooth the leather from some parts and flatten some curvature, but just a bit) in order to simulate a strong hold.
    I repeat, never seen a (used) baseball bat.
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking awesome! :thumbup:

I'm really liking the way its coming together. What a clever idea with the nade as the baseball.

The only thing that stood out as a little strange was that most of the nicks in the grip tape were on the depressed surface and not on the raised padded areas. I get that the edges of the tape tend to get caught, especially around where the tape first gets laid onto the bat, but still. It's also looking a little even, like every depressed area of the tape has a similar amount of damage. I would consider toning it back in the center to push the damaged area of the tape to either end.

That's a bit of a nit to pick though, fantastic work! :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Baseball_WIP_2.jpg

You are sick!!

(It's awesome ;) )
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Dimfist wrote: »
    Awesome work! Thanks for the play by plays and the brushes :D
    Thanks! I hope you get some good use out of them :)
    Big thanks for the gif and the eat3d tutorial too.

About the stripes, I don't know how they are in reality, but maybe you could smooth the leather from some parts and flatten some curvature, but just a bit) in order to simulate a strong hold.
    I repeat, never seen a (used) baseball bat.
    No problem :)
    I still need to do some more work on the grips for sure. I'm thinking about adding some compressed and smoothed out parts where hands and sweat would harden and smooth some areas out :)
    This is looking awesome! :thumbup:

I'm really liking the way its coming together. What a clever idea with the nade as the baseball.

The only thing that stood out as a little strange was that most of the nicks in the grip tape were on the depressed surface and not on the raised padded areas. I get that the edges of the tape tend to get caught, especially around where the tape first gets laid onto the bat, but still. It's also looking a little even, like every depressed area of the tape has a similar amount of damage. I would consider toning it back in the center to push the damaged area of the tape to either end.

That's a bit of a nit to pick though, fantastic work! :)
    Thanks! Like I said above, I have lots of work to do :)
    I should get some time over the weekend to do some further refining.
    Andreas wrote: »
    You are sick!!

(It's awesome ;) )
    :P Thanks, man!
    The wood grain sculpt pass turned out awesome, Andy. You may need to go a bit heavier with it to get a good bake, but it looks really great. Thanks for sharing your techniques dude.
    Thanks! Everything is on layers, so its easy to fix if everything looks a little flat when I bake :)

Thanks again for the kind words everyone!
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking great Andy! Just one thing though, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I never quite saw the point of adding in wood-grain and such details (except from perhaps on rougher and more noisy stone-materials etc.) in the actual sculpt.

Now, this would depend on how one texture it I suppose. But, seeing as you use an alpha for these details, the result shouldn't be too far off from generating a normalmap from that very alpha itself.

And, if you sculpt it, your normal/ao bake won't really line up with your diffuse, which would make it look rather noisy, no? :s
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks!

Yea, there are a few schools of thought on sculpting these kind of details. I usually stick to adding this kind of stuff with a Normal map, but I thought I would try sculpting it for once, as I will have plenty of texture space to capture all the details. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by the Alpha part and the Diffuse/Normal/AO not lining up. Could you explain please?
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billabong polycounter lvl 15
    This is looking fantastic Andy. Really great job
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, I'm not really sure if I'm making any sense to myself at the moment. Might have stayed up for a bit too long. I just had a look at my own latest wooden sculpt and realized I sculpted it in myself :p

What I meant though, is that when taking a look at a lot of photos of wood, which would be used as a base for the texture; the woodgrain can be seen both as darker lines, where there's cracks, and different levels/hues. And most of the time they wouldn't be flowing in a very straight line.

Now, in your sculpt, you sculpted in this detail, where the normalmap and AO will add in even more cracks and details. And they wouldn't necessarily line up with the grain in the diffuse. Which I figured could make it look a bit noisy.

While as when you generate a heightmap from the diffuse, by adjusting levels and painting in details if necessary, you'll be certain that it lines up perfectly.

As for the argument 'generating normals from a diffuse doesn't look as good compared to when you sculpt it', it is indeed true, most of the time. But if you're sculpting it, using a sculpt mask/alpha, generated from a texture, then there shouldn't be much of a difference, except from the loss of AO that you'd get from the bake. Usually crazybump, xnormal etc could help out a bit there though.

Now, in the end, whether the grain is lining up in the normals and diffuse doesn't really matter. What matters is that it looks good. And having thought about it lately I'm rather curious as to what would look best.

Personally, I tend to stick to sculpting in the bigger and more prominent details, and generated the smaller ones from a heightmap.

Hope this makes sense ^^

Cheers
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Yea, I know what you mean.
    I will be doing an image based normal pass too, which will hopefully make everything tie in a little better in the end :)
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. Well, I'm looking forward to seeing more, and how it turns out. The hp as said looks great, and I'll be following this one for sure :)

Cheers
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks, man! :)

Just had a bit of time to work on the Logo for the bat, which will be engraved into the surface by a small amount.

I give you the Thwacker Pro 2000!

Thwacker_pro_2000_Logo.jpg

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Love that morph target, Never leave home without it :D.

How'd you go about your wood grain? reveal your secrets!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Gannon wrote: »
    Love that morph target, Never leave home without it :D.

How'd you go about your wood grain? reveal your secrets!

:)

The wood grain isn't very complicated, really.

I made 3 wood grain alphas from a photo of some wooden planks by desaturating them, adding a levels adjustment to get some more contrast and then matched the colour to a flat grey by going Image> Adjustments> Match colour.
    I then imported the alphas into ZBrush, blurred them by a little bit in the Alpha pallet, set the mid value to 50 and increased the radial fade to 3 (iirc).
    I then made a new layer and using the standard brush, drew the alphas onto the bat (with drag rect), whilst trying to line up the grain as much as I could and constantly swapping between all 3 to stop any obvious repetition.
    Once the wood grain was applied, I then reduced the strength of the layer to .3 or .4 (iirc), to give the whole layer a look that was more consistent with baseball bats.

That's it really. No real sculpting based magic :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

Just a small update with the logo applied before I start to tinker with the LP :)

Updated Logo
    Thwacker_pro_2000_Logo-1.jpg

ZBrush beauty render with the logo applied.
    Baseball_Bat_WIP_9a_ZBrush_Grey.jpg

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Haha, That was really specific, alpha would have been fine for me lol.

The bat looks great! when do we get to the textures?!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    That's fantastic, really good scuplt work. Don't overwork it tho, it's really good as it is, add more it will come out noisy!

Get texturing man, i'm curious to see how it will turn out!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks guys!
    @ Gannon,
    I plan on starting the actual LP tomorrow, so textures will follow pretty soon after that is finished :)

@HP,
    Yea, I don't plan on doing much more to the HP and will start the LP tomorrow :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys!

Sorry about the late post. I only found some time today to crack on with the first pass of the LP. It's currently weighing in at 3739 tris.

Baseball_Bat_LP_WIP_1.jpg

I still have to do some more optimisation yet, like removing some back faces etc. which I hope to get onto soon :)

Also, due to a issue with Blenders culling, some of the verts. look like they they are intersecting in the middle of some faces, where in fact they aren't. (on the top and bottom of the grip), so please ignore them :P (it doesnt show when zoomed in a little more, as they are below the surface of the overlapping geo.)

• MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    The bat looks sweet, Andy :D
    Can't wait to see it textured!
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    best bat ever!!!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks guys :)
    I haven't had any time to work on this over the past few days but I should be able to fit in a few hrs tonight and over the weekend. I'm hoping to get the baking out of the way by Monday :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good :)
    I'm wondering might be something messy with that screenshot, but I think maybe you can remove some poly's on the top and end of the bat.
    And maybe remove some of those edge loops I am no sure if I am seeing :P
    I made a little paint over in paint to show where I mean.
    5lcjm.jpg
  • [Q]uik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that barbed wire... its.. its..... words cannot describe how awesome it is
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Andy, hurry up and back that thing already. So curious to see how the barbwire and rest of the bat will look like when baked down.

Thanks for the gif of the damage layers. Never knew layers were that useful in zbrush.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys!
    Long time no post ;) I somehow missed the notification emails again, so this reply is a little late.

@Stromberg90,
    Thanks, man! :)
    I optimised it a little but didn't bother with the part you circled as I liked the silhouette and it really wasn't that many tris, considering this is for fun/folio.
    The edge loops on the cylinder for the barbed wire are there to make sure the bake doesn't skew because it stops the rays from averaging out.

@[Q]uik,
    Thanks, man! :D

@MeintevdS
    No problem, man :) Yea, ZBrush layers are amazing. I really do use them very heavily in my workflow. It's really helpful to be able to tone something down that is maybe a little too strong or ramp something up and move it around. :)

I have really wanted to get back on this and I have managed to fit in a few hours to optimise the LP a little and do some baking (in xNormal) and a first pass at texturing (still lots to do) :)
    I also did a nDo2 pass on the normal to create the AO for the wood and the grip tape. I am really amazed how well nDo2 worked for the AO generation :D

The LP is 3659 tris in total (I'm still working on the LP for the grenade :P)

WIP Diffuse, Normal, Specular, baked + nDo2 AO and Alpha
    Baseball_Bat_WIP_LP7_Tex.jpg

WIP with baked AO and Alpha
    Baseball_Bat_WIP_LP7_AO_Bake.jpg

WIP with baked AO, Wires and Alpha
    Baseball_Bat_WIP_LP7_AO_Bake_Wires.jpg

Final LP with wires
    Baseball_Bat_LP_Final_Wires.jpg

• Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    F yeah, thats sick :D

Would the barbed wire not catch little things in it?
    the bat itself looks like its had some use, the barbed wire looks brand spanking new, maybe some colour variation over it would help?
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    looks nice! but as stromberg pointed out, the lowpoly mesh is wasteful and a bit messy.
    Especially the end of the bat itself, you can use triangles you know :P
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Andy!
    Post a FPV shot of the bat :D