Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Cathedral Environment

Replies

• ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Looking nice but I think that floor area should be a bit lighter.
  • modern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modern polycounter lvl 17
    Nice, I'm a sucker for gothic architecture. Not enough time to write an essay atm.

Features of gothic architecture - pointed arch and rib vault, which enabled the architects to insert much larger windows letting natural light flood into the interior through the magnificent stained glass windows. The piers often have slender columns carved into them that lead the eye from the ground all the way to the top of the vault and back down again. French gothic vaults are noted for their height. In essence gothic architecture is designed to amplify spirituality through the delicate gravity defying stone masonry, bathed in natural light coloured by stained glass.

More natural light, less artificial light for me. Love it, keep going.
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not sure if anyone else has touched on this, but I would recommend toning down the AO blacks in your diffuse textures. i.e. your AO is too strong and no matter what light source is placed in your level, those areas will always be black. AO used to be a pretty big part of the diffuse but I think the industry in general is moving away from that, especially with screen space ambient occlusion improvements. My 2 cents!
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    P.s. I really like this piece!