A skateboard

3Dyan
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
3Dyan polycounter lvl 13
Well, the title says it all.

dxgqrq.jpg

o8dras.jpg

Still didn't get around to making a gloss map, but other than that I think I'm nearly there.
Any crits are welcome.

Replies

• jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    This is a really nice piece! I'm really digging the materials :) The texturing looks pretty spot on, but I have a couple of suggestions. Unless they are new wheels, I think they could be a bit dirtier, like these; http://www.recyclethis.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/skateboard-wheels.jpg

And secondly I think there should be some dirt built up where the truck is connected to the deck.

That's my 2 cents, just nit picking, I really like this :)
  • cain3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good points jordan. man, i am really digging this model webster! great texturing here!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The wheels need to match the wear of the board/trucks. When skateboard wheels wear the paint usually chips off and get black where they contact the pavement, I am sure google could provide good references. Also the edge of the skateboard is rounded, it might be worth adding some geometry to make it not a 90 degree angle from top to side. If that makes any sense.
  • 3Dyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dyan polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the tips!

Here is what I got so far

mujuhu.jpg

2jcvv41.jpg

I'm considering calling this one done.
    What do you guys think?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    look great, i would go for more dirt where the truck attaches the the deck which will make it easier to place exactly where it is on it.

just use some AO to mask dirt to that area. also maybe adding a edge loop along the edge of the deck so you can round out the edge on the nose and tail a bit more, since that is usually fairly round.

love your textures the paint with the scratches down the wood and the griptape read really well.
  • 3Dyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dyan polycounter lvl 13
    Thank you for your feedback.

There actually is some dirt buildup around the edges of the trucks, it's just that it's pretty thin. Anything wider looks unnatural. I checked my old skateboard for reference and the dirt buildup in that area is really small.

You are right about the extra edge loop. I was pretty cheap on geometry there, but I guess I really should add it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya the thing with the extra loop around the edge just really hit me when i saw your 2nd screen shot.

you could prolly add that loop and scale it out a bit without even haveing to touch the texture or uv's since it is a pretty small change.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow awesome piece! What program did you use to render it in?
    Would you mind posting some textures? looks really great, suprised to see sutch a simple object look so damn good!
  • 3Dyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dyan polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks a lot :)
    I'm using Marmoset Toolbag for the renders.
    I'll post some flat shots soon.