Home Unreal Engine

Cube Map Reflection Problem

StraightDraw84
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
I'm new to udk and I'm having a weird issue, when I do a cube map reflection render to texture, all the six renders that I get are pointing down (renders out the same image no matter what side). I've tried to do it in several scenes but they all have this issue.

I've followed this guy's instructions: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Zh3qDyXOY[/ame]

I'm also using the last UDK (august2011)

Any help would be greatly appreaciated

Thanks

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    can we possibly see a picture of whats going on
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, I just tested cube map reflection on that bath house scene that was posted here a while back, it has the same result of my personal project so I know it's not something with the scene itself.

examplenz.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    EDIT: Realized an error. will post later.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing some testing I'm really not sure what your error is. THe error I was thinking of last night was an error in my understanding of what you were trying to achieve I think.

I'm not fully sure why you're creating a static texture though, as if you're going to be using the captured cube on objects in the same scene you're capturing from, then you can just set the render target to render once, and use it as normal in your materials.

I honestly can't replicate your issue. :(

edit: Also when you place your scene capture cube actor it should show up as a cubemapped sphere. Once you target it to your render target, you'll see it like a shiny ball in the editor.. if its reflecting right it should render right.. might at least help a little.
  • Ouija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll check this out... are you sure you didn't overlook anything in the RTT object's properties in the scene?
    edit: The texture is fine. In the material, transform the Reflection Vector from tangent to world space using the transform vector operation. It should render from the correct angle. (keep in mind this won't be a real mirror because it won't take distance into account, still better than nothing)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouija: all the faces of his cube are identical. You can see that from the shot he posted. That is the error, not the usage of the map in the shader.
  • Ouija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I thought he meant it rendering the same side on a cube. I just did the same thing (unfolding a vanilla rendered cube) and it shows all six sides. Tried breaking it in every way possible, can't reproduce it.
    OP, try it in an empty/default map. Just hook the (newly made) target to the capture actor, don't change a thing. If it doesn't work then I'm afraid there's something gone haywire within UDK itself because there's no user error here involved.
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was because i was on direct x 11 mode

thanks for you help though guys!
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    it was because i was on direct x 11 mode

thanks for you help though guys!

I have been looking for the fix for this for quite a while with no success thanks for posting the fix. :)