Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My take on the Arenanet Environment Art Test

Replies

• EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    It's a really strong piece and I could see it fitting into a game.

My only issue with it is the brick wall. It's way too strong compared to the rest of the building, it draws my eye back to it constantly due to the contrast. Where as the rest of the building can be read easily with the colours and textures, since they all blend in well with one another.
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice.

Just like to add to what Mr Bear said. You can see the texture seams in the bricks. Get them to tile better, and add some differentiation in the actual bricks. Maybe add some moss/grime where the bricks would meet the floor?

Other than that it looks good. :)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Here's a few things I noticed:

-The roof tile's normal map makes it look like some kind of stone, and it's a bit too noisy & repetitive
    -The wood's texture tiles very badly, you can see the same knot in the wood every few inches
    -The base brick contrast is way, way to harsh, it looks black and white
    -In your third beauty shot you have a UV seam in your base brick that's pretty apparent.
    -A lot of your texture / color work is getting nuked out from the engine's rendering, could be sending a message that you're trying to hide flaws in your textures
    -The foliage repetition is too noticeable

Keep it up!
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    This one looks really nice. It's very overgrown and washed out. I've been seeing a lot of people using that same roof texture, it's nice to see a touch of vegetation to make it different.

Like what everyone else is saying about the stone, I see seams in areas too, not sure if that's from the unwrap though.

On your third shot, that chimney could use some love and that window has a black area underneath it, maybe add a wood beam or something..

Getting back to the shingles, it looks like they might be using a normal map, yes? I see some black spots, it's strange looking. If you generated them, try doing some hand painting to pop out the shingles themselves, rather than the detail.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    The stone on the bottom is not selling me at all. Also that tile on the rooftop has a really whack normal. It's a solid start, but I'd address those 2 things fore sure.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Haven't had a lot of time to work on this, but I think I've addressed some of the more major issues. Still not sure about the base stone, though. What do you guys think?

Here's some updated pics of the scene:

arenanettest1.jpg

arenatest2.jpg

arenatest3.jpg

arenatest4.jpg

arenatest5.jpg

High poly sculpts of the front steps, the rocky base, and the roof tiles:

arenatest6.jpg

arenatest7.jpg

arenatest8.jpg

Wireframes:

arenatest9.jpg

arenatest10.jpg
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Mr Bear wrote: »
    It's a really strong piece and I could see it fitting into a game.

My only issue with it is the brick wall. It's way too strong compared to the rest of the building, it draws my eye back to it constantly due to the contrast. Where as the rest of the building can be read easily with the colours and textures, since they all blend in well with one another.

Not into GW2 although. Completely different artstyle.

Anyway. It's nice, it have it's own style but I think wood beams are to straight. They doesn't really look intresting. Also texture on wood beams look like washed out and then just with randomly added colors. In other words it doesn't look like wood. Whether you hand painted or photosourced it, you really should remake it.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    Not into GW2 although. Completely different artstyle.

Anyway. It's nice, it have it's own style but I think wood beams are to straight. They doesn't really look intresting. Also texture on wood beams look like washed out and then just with randomly added colors. In other words it doesn't look like wood. Whether you hand painted or photosourced it, you really should remake it.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take another look at the wood. Anyway, about it being a completely different artstyle... maybe I'm just not getting it, but what about my scene makes it scream, "different art style"?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Aigik wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll take another look at the wood. Anyway, about it being a completely different artstyle... maybe I'm just not getting it, but what about my scene makes it scream, "different art style"?

Look at GW2 screenshot and game play movies. Every object here look like just drag from artworks and put into game. All textures look like they are clearly hand-painted by the same team that make concept art.

Anyway. Don't worry. From what I have seen here on polycount, no one replicated that style.

I'm also making that building, but well, also didn't catch it. It look more realistic than stylized. Whether it's good or not we shall see :D.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not too sure what the outline for the art test is... But... Why are you side tracking from the concept art? The changes you've done to your version makes it look completely different than the original. Without the blue tones from the concept art (brick and roof), I feel like your model (being heavily warm) looks like it would be occupied by gnomes (I don't know why, I'm not trying to be hurtful :P). The third orthographic view shows the addition of the beams (though I'd agree that the concept art needs to be reworked for clarity on that shot) which messes with the silhouette. The over hang length on your roof is shorter than the concepts which also messes with the initial silhouette as well. Lastly the circular rock pattern versus the square bricks as the base of the house really suggests that this building is built outside of a town probably on a rolling hill.

I'd say... Keep that model to show your ideas and creativity, but also give them exactly what they want in terms of concept art.
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    liking the second pass :)
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus S wrote: »
    I'm not too sure what the outline for the art test is... But... Why are you side tracking from the concept art? The changes you've done to your version makes it look completely different than the original. Without the blue tones from the concept art (brick and roof), I feel like your model (being heavily warm) looks like it would be occupied by gnomes (I don't know why, I'm not trying to be hurtful :P). The third orthographic view shows the addition of the beams (though I'd agree that the concept art needs to be reworked for clarity on that shot) which messes with the silhouette. The over hang length on your roof is shorter than the concepts which also messes with the initial silhouette as well. Lastly the circular rock pattern versus the square bricks as the base of the house really suggests that this building is built outside of a town probably on a rolling hill.

I'd say... Keep that model to show your ideas and creativity, but also give them exactly what they want in terms of concept art.

The art test itself said this:

"Feel free to add your own interpretation to the style, cleanliness, and add any extra supporting elements as needed."

But how far should I go? When they give you the green light for creative freedom, how big of changes am I allowed to make? That's something I'm still not entirely sure about.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aigik wrote: »
    The art test itself said this:

"Feel free to add your own interpretation to the style, cleanliness, and add any extra supporting elements as needed."

But how far should I go? When they give you the green light for creative freedom, how big of changes am I allowed to make? That's something I'm still not entirely sure about.

I can't really speak for a 3D Artist since I am a Concept Artist... But they pretty much gave you the green light to do whatever, so I'd say you're doing fine. It just seems like an awkward moment... The concept shows something that would be within castle walls. Should I add a second floor? Should I try different textures but still keep the location of where I believe this building will be in? Should I make it seem like it's for an elven race or human race? etc (you probably thought of all of that :P)...

I'm sorry if that doesn't help... But again, I think you're doing fine, coming from an avid GW fan :)

Though I don't know what "supporting elements" mean... Support beams? Or assets to throw around to "support" the style? Too bad you can't email Dociu :P
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus S wrote: »
    I can't really speak for a 3D Artist since I am a Concept Artist... But they pretty much gave you the green light to do whatever, so I'd say you're doing fine. It just seems like an awkward moment... The concept shows something that would be within castle walls. Should I add a second floor? Should I try different textures but still keep the location of where I believe this building will be in? Should I make it seem like it's for an elven race or human race? etc (you probably thought of all of that :P)...

I'm sorry if that doesn't help... But again, I think you're doing fine, coming from an avid GW fan :)

I've got plenty of extra time, so I've decided I'm going to completely redo the base of the building to more closely match the concept art, I'll post the comparison here, and we'll see what happens from there.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update. I decided to keep the boulder look to the base, but changed its shape to more closely match the reference. I've also started working on a background scene (which is still very WIP).

test2e.jpg

test2d.jpg

test2c.jpg

test2b.jpg

test2a.jpg
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man. This has come a long way and I'm glad you ditched the super warm lighting. That said, the lighting is not giving me a good enough read on the model.

Also: I really am not a fan of the stones at the bottom. The idea is fine, but the execution leaves something to be desired.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo wrote: »
    Hey man. This has come a long way and I'm glad you ditched the super warm lighting. That said, the lighting is not giving me a good enough read on the model.

Also: I really am not a fan of the stones at the bottom. The idea is fine, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

Thanks for both the kind words and the crits! :)

I'll be working on this all day and evening today, expect a major update later!
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshot1.jpg

Screenshot2.jpg

Screenshot3.jpg

Screenshot4.jpg

Screenshot5.jpg

Screenshot9.jpg

Screenshot10.jpg

Screenshot11.jpg

Texture Sheet:

TextureSheet.jpg

I'm hitting the deadline, so I'm going to be submitting this. BTW, anyone know if I should just include the .TGAs, or should I also include the PSDs, or both? Thanks for all the feedback you've all been giving me as I worked on this, you guys have been great! :)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    i really like that style
    i suck at crits so im just gonna say i like it

:)
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    This looks cool aigik, I like the new stone, looks really nice, I also like the touch of greenery in the roof, I haven't seen anyone else with that, nor did I do it myself. I got some issues with the door, mainly because, if this house was a character, the door would be the face, understand?

I'm aware of time constraints and whatnot, but it might have been worth it to push the door a little more, with some rivets, scratches, accented edges, what have you, then do the environment, but, take it with a grain of salt, this is just me, my preference, talking.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    i really like that style
    i suck at crits so im just gonna say i like it

:)

Thanks!
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair wrote: »
    This looks cool aigik, I like the new stone, looks really nice, I also like the touch of greenery in the roof, I haven't seen anyone else with that, nor did I do it myself. I got some issues with the door, mainly because, if this house was a character, the door would be the face, understand?

I'm aware of time constraints and whatnot, but it might have been worth it to push the door a little more, with some rivets, scratches, accented edges, what have you, then do the environment, but, take it with a grain of salt, this is just me, my preference, talking.

Thanks for the compliments, as well as your comments on the door. Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm considering working on this further, especially the background environment, as well as break free of my texture space limits to further work on this as a portfolio piece, but we'll see. I've already submitted it to ArenaNet. Good luck to you, by the way, yours kicks ass. :)