Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Avatar - Link Room and Clean Room (Environment)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
Hey all,

For my final project at University, I choose to make the Link Room from Avatar. My skills with UDK were very basic when I started this project so it was a massive leap.

I've finished it now but am not really happy with it at all and hoping that this community can help me get it to the place where it needs to be. So I am deciding to start from almost scratch and rebuild things how they should be.

The style I am deciding to take it towards would be a more of a dirty science-fiction environment, much like Mass Effect and Thiago Klafke's Zest Foundation on this forum.

Please feel free to criticize everything and offer any tips if you know anything that can be done.

For now, here is the list of improvements I think need to be made:

-Improve textures (Diffuse, Specular, Normal) - Make things more metalic and warn.

-Create interiors to the Link Beds

-Add animated screens with variations

-Make the circular air conditioner a little more chunky and add reflections

-Improve lighting

-Make the clean room walls more plastic like and work, with reflections.

- Add more assets/props such medical equipment, chairs and small things like stacks of paper, coffee mugs.

I'm a little weak with creating materials in UDK so I might be looking for some hints and tips!

Thanks all! :)

Replies

• maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to double post but I keep getting this really annoying problem with my normal maps...

I am baking all high-poly stuff out through either Maya or xNormal and then inverting the green channel if needs be but it keeps seeming not to look right.

Basically when I try and some reflection and even without the normal map distorts around the edge flow, making it all look really bad!

What am I doing wrong?
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    its looking good there is just something off but i cant tell what maybe someone else will be able too! anyway as for the normals go check the polycount wiki normals section its very good and even helps you with some of your workflow
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Can you post an image of the mesh with the normal map applied from whatever modeling package you use?

Also, are you using smoothing groups?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, you have a good start there, but yea it just doesn't look finished yet. Looking foward to seeing what you do with this.

As for your bake issues..could be a number of things but likely has to do with your smooth groups...post a pic of your normal map.
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY wrote: »
    Can you post an image of the mesh with the normal map applied from whatever modeling package you use?

Also, are you using smoothing groups?

I'm using Maya and have attached an image of my test asset (in High Quality Mode) to this post. As you can see it appears with no issues at all...

As for smoothing groups, I'm not entirely sure what these are as only heard it referred to with Max models. I think its about soft/hard edges and most of the mesh is smoothed with a few edges about 90 degrees left hard. So the normal map is doing most of the work...

I've inverted the green channel so in UDK it should appear correctly but still no luck.

Thank you for your other comments too guys! Its a good start I know too but really want to get it looking mean!!
  • BrettLewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a similar problem recently. The problem is the gradient areas, look at the flat surfaces of the island at the side, all one colour, while the main piece has lots of different colours, basically a bad bake. This can be caused by not using smoothing groups properly but I had this issue because my search envelope was too high.
    I'd say try taking your envelope down to 0.1 - 0.5%, if that doesn't work play with the smoothing groups.
    Hope it helps man.
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrettLewis wrote: »
    I had a similar problem recently. The problem is the gradient areas, look at the flat surfaces of the island at the side, all one colour, while the main piece has lots of different colours, basically a bad bake. This can be caused by not using smoothing groups properly but I had this issue because my search envelope was too high.
    I'd say try taking your envelope down to 0.1 - 0.5%, if that doesn't work play with the smoothing groups.
    Hope it helps man.

I tried making the asset all hard and baking it that way but still had the same problem in unreal.. without the gradients on the map. My search envelope was set at 0.2 when I baked so it can't be that.

When you say smoothing groups, what do you mean exactly? Harden the edges where the UV seams are? I'm not as clued up in 3DS Max...
  • BrettLewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya uses harden and soften edges I think. I think you'd soften a lot of it for the normal map to take control. Only thing I can think of is to check your normals, if you're using axmesh are you checking "obey hard edges (convert to smoothing groups)"?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, smoothing groups is Maxs way of handing soft/hard edges, thats what I mean.

Don't make the asset all hard. Just use hard/soft edges as you will with the final model...changing those edges after baking messes stuff up.

Your bake shows the nasty crease. It looks to me like you had baked there with the low poly having some oddness in that location as far as hard/soft edges go. The map has that crease because its correcting the angle caused by that and offsetting to make it look flat.

I see that it appears fine in High Quality mode in Maya...I suspect that your problem in UDK is resulting from incorrect smoothing of the mesh on import. Take a look at the mesh in UDK without the normal map and see if the smoothing looks different than in Maya.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    A good thing I do is to harden all the edges on the outside edges of your uv islands. I am pretty sure I read this some and I hardly get any errors now. That should fix this. :)
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Are you using a cage? Is your model triangulated before importing into UDK? Are you making sure the vertex normals are preserved on import?
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers everyone! Going to give these suggestions a wiz! So I will let you know how it all goes down!

As to DOG-GY, I don't use the cage in xNormal... should I? I don't triangulate it before importing as I thought Unreal does this for you? I'll have a check on that last one...
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had a similar issue with normal maps in scenarios where I forgot to smooth the normals of the low poly model. I doubt that is the issue but thought I would post just in case.
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just letting you guys know that I think I fixed it. I basically just hardened most of the edges where most of the problems were happening and exported the mesh with convert hard edges to smoothing groups selected. It just means I will have normal seams but will hardly be noticeable... Will post the result shortly
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,

I've spent a while figuring out reflections and sorting out the normal map errors I was getting on my meshes.

So far I have figured it all out and know what I am doing right and wrong and have got things working. I've added a bit of relection to the metal to give it that more sci-fi feel.

Heres a little update but hopefully now I have a work flow I can press on and get the rest of the room done!
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been tweaking around with this still and now comes the time to just get the ceiling on now.

Re-did the canopy in the middle to be a lot more efficiently so instead of it being in quarters, its in 8th's and rotated around in UDK. Turned off AO in UDK and also tried to give it some atmosphere with different colour lighting to the assets to give some contrast. Also reusing textures on other assets now too to conserve momeory space.

Tried to get this reflection shizzle working with the new DX11 but haven't quite worked it out yet but I feel it would look good on the floor.

Comparing it even now to what it use to look like, I see a huge difference.

Anyway, some screen grabs of where it is at the minute...
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a long while since my last update, but I guess I've developed it all quite a bit since then.

Basically I have been working on getting the main room and making a start on the clean room and bio-lab.

I shall let the pictures do the talking! :)

v3j3mq.jpg

1zx46x1.jpg

34umx.jpg

24v1oqg.jpg

ANY crit more than welcome, trying to efficient with texture usage too...
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I like the lighting/color scheme you had going in the first post, really brought out the details, imo.

Your new lighting scheme makes the scene depressing and empty.

Maybe its just me though. :)
    Good job so far!
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I like the lighting/color scheme you had going in the first post, really brought out the details, imo.

Your new lighting scheme makes the scene depressing and empty.

Maybe its just me though. :)
    Good job so far!

I think he's trying to mimic the lighting in the film for that set, which wasn't quite as bright and saturated.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    It's a good update - I think the emmissive lighting is really helping to break up the low contrast of the scene.

Keep up the good work!
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just realised how long it has been since I last posted on here!

Well its come on a long way!

Here is a flythrough of where its all currently at, a few things in here aren't finished bear in mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-JVqYLDNQ&feature=youtu.be
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really sexy!

I made a few observations that I thought I'd raise though.
    Firstly, your have some nice curved glass around the centre consoles, yet it doesn't seem to refract light in a believable manner. At the angle that the camera views it there should be at least a bit of distortion.
    Secondly, the main room of your scene is looking fairly low-contrast and samey. While it is a natural result of the texturing style, it just means that variation has to be made up for in lighting. Maybe you could try pushing the brightness of the centre area and consoles up and driving the shadows in the room darker. (You can do this by upping your Light Intensity in its properties and lowering the Emissive Boost in World Properties.)

Lastly is more of an idea than a critique. Maybe you could have a go at making the screens seem 3D like in the film? Perhaps putting a Bump Offset to the material for a nice subtle effect.
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,

Thank you the feedback, I missed the ones before my last post as I think it was really late... So very sorry!

SirCalalot: Thank you very much for those points. I agree with you on the glass and I need to make it a little more reflective and noticeable. I've not been able to crack a really good glass shader yet but maybe a nudge in the right direction might help! :P

I've had many people say that about the contrast of the main room. I'll play around with the lighting and get it looking as interesting as possible! I've altered the world properties for emmisive boost and increased the values on the objects themselves.

As for the screens, I have tried doing that however the higher the bump offset is set, it starts to repeat/tile the image as you look around it? Not sure how to counter that?

Thought I would upload some stills of the Environment here now!

• SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's already looking a lot better @maverickhornet :)

Regarding the glass material, a great tutorial has been done by @bukkit on the UDK forums:
    Realistic Glass Materials in UDK.

If that's a bit too complex for what you're trying to, try plugging a Fresnel into your glass material's Distortion channel. If you multiply said Fresnel by about '5' then that should look good I think.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    The issue I have with your screens is the washed out ness about them. It's like there's no shadows and thus the scene looks flat and dull.

The lighting will seriously make this scene if you do it right. I hope you can find the right settings.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Looking MUCH better, but needs specular!! keep it up!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me.

I have an animation for the Link beds where the machinery inside starts to whirl around and the bed closes and slides in.... Now, I can animate this fine in Maya by just directly animating the mesh. Though I have no idea how to get this to work in UDK. I'm not sure if I have to create some joints/bones for it to work? I've tried having a crack at it already but when I export it, its alters the axis and only exports what the joint is connected to and nothing else...

Its annoying as I really want to create some movement in here! :D
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Love this.

Could you give us an insight into how you created the holographics and those awesome futuristic screens? I'm after a similar result for my current project
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure! It comes from a combination of ways really. I got the idea from a Eat3D tutorial on Materials in UDK and a few others.

It basically consists of using all the 3 channels of a texture for different parts of the screen. You can use parameters in UDK to set the colours and bump offsets to give the screens a bit of depth. All this feeds in to the emmisive in UDK and the material is set to additive!

I can post up a material shot if you like?
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Yes please man that would be helpful!
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone,

Over the weekend I've decided to wrap up and a polish off the Avatar scene that I've been doing in dribs and drabs over the past few months.

Here is a film to show it orfs!

BE SURE TO WATCH IN HD!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te4mo5no3lw&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te4mo5no3lw&feature=plcp[/ame]

Thanks!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    great job, dood.
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot! Much appreciated!
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I almost forgot, I'll try and get a short break down of how I did the screens to to guy who requested it... Sorry its so epicly late!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looks great, dig it!
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ta very much!
    Especially coming from the creator of one of my favourite portfolio pieces (Zest Foundation) :D
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see that this portfolio piece pretty much got you a job a Blitz - congrats!
    You deserve it for the hard work you put in, and the scene looks great :)
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Sir Calalot. I also would like to thank you for your advice and direction as you're right, this environment got me the job at Blitz. So your help got me there. Been there a month now and really loving it.

I have to say I've been following your underwater scene and its really amazing. I adore it when people go outside the box and create really 'out of this world' environments.... Reminds me when I was diving in Eygpt many years ago! :D
  • airage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airage polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work, the screens are really cool! And i liked that coffee mug :)
    Congrats on the job!
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Airage - Thank you very much! The coffee mug of course is the pinical of the entire scene! :P Much appreciated!
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!

I just thought I would post up some screens of the finished version of this project. I was having some trouble with the colours so hopefully they came out alright! Otherwise I'll have to tackle it all when I'm not quite as tired!

Anyways I hope you all like! Thats a wrap!! :)

NEW_AVATAR-1.jpg

NEW_AVATAR-2.jpg

NEW_AVATAR-3.jpg

NEW_AVATAR-4.jpg

NEW_AVATAR-5.jpg

NEW_AVATAR-6.jpg

NEW_AVATAR-7.jpg

NEW_AVATAR-8.jpg

NEW_AVATAR-9.jpg

NEW_AVATAR-10.jpg
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is looking great!!
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This turned out great
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The finished version of this looks sublime!
    The colours are really nice, yet subtle.
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw shucks! hehe Cheers SirCalalot. Was having all sorts of PS issues last night and worried it was going to look terrible! Good to know its alright! :)