Home General Discussion

Star Wars - The Old Republic

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Torch interpolator
Anyone picking this up? Pre-ordered mine yesterday, looking forward to giving it a shot :) I'm hoping it'll be way better than Star Wars Galaxies, used to play it ages ago but wasn't too impressed.

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Played the beta test and was pretty fun. Lag was pretty bad on the first day but by the third it got better.
  • Cexar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    I'm really hoping for it to enable player-powered roleplay, so right now I'm just waiting for me info on this. :)
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Amen to that! Have you figured out what class to go for? I was thinking either Jedi Knight/consular, not sure if I wanna mainly tank or heal :D
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Sith Warrior over here, pref purple sabers with some robed action.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Dark Jedi DPS will be my choice. I fell in love with the Sith version but I joined a guild that was Republic so I switched.
  • Cexar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    I'm going Trooper Commando, really looking forward to being a dps/healer type. Love the multi-class thinking in the game. I was a bit afraid that when you chose a class you'd be stuck healer or whatever but the class system seems to support everything-
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    All good choices. :) I was curious as to whether a consular sage could hold their own in combat if they're healing spec'd. Hope they release it relatively soon...me wants the beta now :(
  • kaze369
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I pre-ordered the collector's edition so I'm all aboard. I plan on being a jedi knight or a smugger/Gunslinger.
    we should start a list of people who will be playing the game so we can group together some time.

I am playing the beta so just pm me if you want to know my characters' name.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Just dug up this thread again, hows the beta Kaze? Thought I'd post for any Londoners here, was thinking of going along and checking it out:

On Saturday, September 24th from 8:00PM until 12:00AM GMT, BioWare will be hosting a Community Meet and Greet at 'Gamerbase' London inside the Trocadero Centre. Those who attend will be able to meet other members of The Old Republic community, have a couple of drinks with the BioWare team, and take part in a developer Q&A session.

Actually wondering if we get a chance to 'play' the game and not just attend for Q&A :)
  • thatanimator
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    Torch wrote: »
    I'm hoping it'll be way better than Star Wars Galaxies, used to play it ages ago but wasn't too impressed.
    say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!
    SWG was the shiznitz (right after Ultima Online), obviously before they raped it that is

maybe you prefer WoW leveling and no customization kinda gameplay rather?

I don't know..
    SWG, you could just hang out in the cantina with dancers, buffing, dancing, getting buffed, making friends.. getting on your speeder, driving across the desert to your own player house with loot and other trophies..wait 'til sundown, head out for some hunting..maybe raid some rebel town...

ooooooor, WoW/SW TOR, click "get in line for dungeon" for the 500th time.. get a sip of coke... go back to healing with your generic character

yeah, SWG was shit:poly118:
  • Cexar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Thatanimator: I feel really nostalgic when I think about SWG but yeah, it hasn't aged that well but no other game has done what it did, yet. (Sorry for the weird sentence). The player housing really makes the loot collecting cool! And the rent system from town to town was cool. I was apart of a clan/guild/thingy that had a city near the tusken raider fortress on Tat. I gotta admit, that was so cool!

But if we see to the character speccs makes me pretty interested in how every class is gonna feel. Everyone is dps, heal and tank from the looks of it but they work differently. Curious there.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey again all, sorry for the constant bumping but felt I had to link this cinematic made for the game by Blur Studios, its pretty impressive :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru3EywHA-8w[/ame]
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Beta blew me away. First game I've ever pre-ordered (damn 3 day advanced launch!). Can't wait! :)
  • Cexar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Release dates are up!
    http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110924
    BioWare and LucasArts are pleased to announce that Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ will launch on December 20, 2011 in North America and on December 22, 2011 in the European Launch Territories!

Yet again, I'm stoked! Watched the complete star wars saga yesterday and now I'm jonesing for the game!
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    By played the beta you guys mean its over? Cuz i signed up for it a while ago and i never got in.
    =(
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Interesting release dates.

Kinda close to a certain, fairly well known date in the calendar.

Surely that's gonna hurt first weeks figures? Seems like they just want to ship pre-2012, but I think they'd do well to just put it back a week or two.

EDIT: Actually, I guess it's not such a bad idea. People will be off work etc.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Scizz wrote: »
    By played the beta you guys mean its over? Cuz i signed up for it a while ago and i never got in.
    =(

I was in the 3 day beta test which are pretty much server stress tests. There's another one thats going to happen soon so keep your fingers crossed :)
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Playing in the closed beta atm, can't wait til the full game comes out and I can take screen grabs of my work :P
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Interesting release dates.

Kinda close to a certain, fairly well known date in the calendar.

Surely that's gonna hurt first weeks figures?

Don't forget pre-order customers get 'early access.' However early that may be I have no idea :poly122:
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Cexar wrote: »
    Release dates are up!
    http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110924
    BioWare and LucasArts are pleased to announce that Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ will launch on December 20, 2011 in North America and on December 22, 2011 in the European Launch Territories!

Yet again, I'm stoked! Watched the complete star wars saga yesterday and now I'm jonesing for the game!

:( maybe we should start a petition: let the devs have a Christmas vacation, launch the game on Jan 1st!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Devs are probably finished with the game in September, and likely in the can / gone Gold by October.

It's probably a strategic release date, for when people finally get off for the Holidays, and people are going home for Christmas (with their laptops).
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Devs are probably finished with the game in September, and likely in the can / gone Gold by October.

It's probably a strategic release date, for when people finally get off for the Holidays, and people are going home for Christmas (with their laptops).

having shipped an EA MMO I doubt there's that much cushion time
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i pre-ordered it based on playing it at Eurogamer.
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Well, the current beta client is still in transition (damn you for interrupting my play time!) to a newer build. The game is great, no doubt. The beta has been pretty stable. After the latest wave of invites, I've started experiences queues and some nasty lag during peak hours/weekends. I'm sure there is still plenty of stuff to do on the back-end with server stability and performance, but the game itself is in fantastic form.
  • Jonathan
    I had the opportunity to attend some of their presentations this year at GDC (character rendering, post effects, etc.) so when time permits, I'd like to give it a try, looks fun. :)

So many games, so little time! :D
  • Drumonman
    Got into the weekend beta at start of Sept, and I loved it, got up to level 20ish with Sith Marauder (Stronzo).
    The story conversations are a nice touch, in groups as well. Not sure what I'm allowed to talk about probably nothing.

But if you signed up for beta and havent gotten invite, be patient. IIRC they plan to invite more people each beta weekend. Unfortunately there has only been the one weekend so far, but fingers crossed for this weekend! :)

One thing I love is the environments, especially Korriban that was cool
  • Mime
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    Anyone still playing this ?
    I'm on EU Nightmare Lands.
    Got a 32 Operative named Humor .

I find the game to be a lot of fun. Great story too. Highly recommend.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm on Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU pvp)

it's the first game that's made me actually want to do some pve, so i guess that's a plus? the pvp is pretty shocking at the moment though, my guild are trying to convince ourselves not to go back to WAR.
  • Kurry
    Am playing on the EU server Scepter of Ragnos with a couple of friends. Although the PVP state is pretty rough still I do have a good time. Level 50 and valor rank 52 Scoundrel atm :)

If any pc'ers are on this server aswell give me a /w. (Character name is also Kurry)
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Every time this thread gets bumped I think its gone FTP :P
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    im playing on the US server Darth Malak. level 32 Sith Warrior. Loving the story and gameplay so for. although it is a pvp server i havent actuall done any pvp yet, lol.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still playing, off and on. Gotta take screen captures and videos of my work :P
  • Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Playing on Crucible Pits (US). 38 Jedi Shadow. I mostly pvp with friends, might be why I level so slowly haha.