Home General Discussion

Asus ep 121 (another artist demo)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bishoplynx polycounter lvl 6
After watching a couple of the Asus videos out there I decided to make one as well.

http://stopwatchstudy.blogspot.com/2011/09/asus-ep-121-tablet-pc-short-review.html

my main programs of choice are:

sketchbook pro
Maya
Zbrush
TvPaint
PAP
and Photoshop
Some of the usual suspects I suppose. :)

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    That's cool man. What brand is the little keyboard?
  • bishoplynx
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    A quick question about the hardware. I'm not a geek about computers, so I'm kinda confused here. From what I've seen the Asus EEE ep121 has a slower processor than the Motion Computing LE1700 [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Motion-LE1700-Bluetooth-fingerprint-Microsoft/dp/B000ZKFRBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315425722&sr=1-1[/ame] but it LOOKS like the Asus out performs it. is it the SSD hard drive that really makes that much of a difference?

I'm asking cause there's no way in hell I can afford $1000 for a pc, so the Asus is out of the question. I can't even do the $5-900+- they go for on ebay. I might be able to afford a small SSD for my Motion Computing le1600 though. Kinda wondering if the le1700 could be worth the upgrade with an SSD.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Yeahh go claytubes. Added to my list of things to buy when i get a job.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Jeremy-S can't speak for the difference in the tablets but adding an SSD drive to a desktop is like a crazy upgrade. It seriously is that much faster.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Ill wit for a i7 version if not a separate GPU.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I found a 128gb SSD 1.8" for $159 and free shipping on ebay. Here's hoping it speeds up my le1600. Thanks for the heads up, Jesse

Doing a bit of reading I found out the hdd I have in there is just about the slowest made. I think 3200RPM? something like that. I get the feeling ANY SSD is gonna be an upgrade :)
  • bishoplynx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    A quick question about the hardware. I'm not a geek about computers, so I'm kinda confused here. From what I've seen the Asus EEE ep121 has a slower processor than the Motion Computing LE1700 http://www.amazon.com/Motion-LE1700-Bluetooth-fingerprint-Microsoft/dp/B000ZKFRBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315425722&sr=1-1 but it LOOKS like the Asus out performs it. is it the SSD hard drive that really makes that much of a difference?

I'm asking cause there's no way in hell I can afford $1000 for a pc, so the Asus is out of the question. I can't even do the $5-900+- they go for on ebay. I might be able to afford a small SSD for my Motion Computing le1600 though. Kinda wondering if the le1700 could be worth the upgrade with an SSD.

Having used a Motion Tablet in the past they're totally worth the price you pay for it, in my opinion.
    Though my con list at the time was this:
    1.Sketchbook Pro was the only decent program that wouldn't lag.
    2.Using Photoshop cs3 at the time, it would be ok until I started adding layers and expecting too much from the program. Then it would lag in a horrible way.
    3.The screen got so damn hot that I had to put a little cloth under my hand after 30 minutes.
    4.Windows xp was the operating system at the time and I hated it though it ran a little better than my desktop.
    I don't remember the exact specs of the Motion tablet but it was purchased by the studio for their concept artist and I got to use it once in awhile after he left.

Why I chose the Asus:

1. I was sold after watching several videos of people using Photoshop, Maya and Zbrush with relative ease on the tablet.
    2. The specs and mobility of the tablet were pretty near what I was looking for.
    3. The price was a bit hefty but after some diligent net scouring I found a reasonable deal at Mac Mall and PcRush. Pc Rush won out because their back order wait was only a month compared to MacMall's 3 months and counting.
    4. The Wacom pen was a selling point too.
    5. the list goes on but that tops it at the moment.

When it boils down to brass tax I love the Asus because it gives me exactly what I need; mobility with power, nice design, perfect size to name a few. I can sketch, animate and sculpt with ease and I have not been disappointed yet. In the end whatever works, from a napkin with crayons to a high end tablet with the latest greatest hardware. Whatever motivates your hands, heart and soul.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really wish I could get an Asus tablet for cheapish. They look great, and apparently run zbrush very well. But that price tag is a killer.

I have an LE1600, and I like it, but everything starts very slowly. It runs decent enough when the program is running, but it takes a while to get there. Hoping an SSD HDD will solve that problem. I got windows 7 on it, with photoshop cs3, and zbrush. I can get a few million polys out of zbrush on it, so it's cool for that, but the time it takes to just start the programs is killing it. Even Firefox takes forever and a day.

If I can find a decent price on an Asus that's upgradeable later, I'd buy it with lower ram, and HDD then upgrade as I could afford it later. I'll check out PC Rush, as I've never heard of them before.

Thanks for the info. I REALLY want to have a tablet like this for the amount of moving around I do, and the times I'm out at someone else's house for a long weekend or something. Don't want to miss work hours.
  • bishoplynx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gotcha. Motion was my second choice but I was in a position to purchase the Asus so I grabbed the chance and flew away. If you can upgrade your Motion with an SSD then awesome because by the time you're ready to purchase a better tablet they may have something more amazing on the market at a better price.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    awesome, i hella want one of these haha

one thing I can never seem to find proof of hard numbers on is the pressure sensitivity levels on these puppies. Have any of you guys had more luck?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Getting slightly OT but the new Samsung Galaxy note does come with a pressure sensitive stylus, so we might soon see a real tablet.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome review of this great tablet bishoplynx. You covered every single program I would have asked about. Do want!
  • bishoplynx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    Alright, I found a 128gb SSD 1.8" for $159 and free shipping on ebay. Here's hoping it speeds up my le1600. Thanks for the heads up, Jesse

http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-sure-your-partitions-are-correctly-aligned-for-optimal-solid-state-drive-performance

For when it gets delivered. ;)
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got my drive, went to hook it up, and remembered that sometimes manufacturers use different connection types for hard drives... I fell into the noob trap of not researching the type of HDD I needed. The one I got is mSATA, and the connection I have is 50pin IDE. I can't find an adapter that'll work either. Ah well, I got a good deal on it, just wish I hadn't spent that much money when I could have saved it, and got that LE1700 a lot sooner ;)
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Ill wit for a i7 version if not a separate GPU.

the dual core i5 on the new (end of this month ) series 7 wacom digitiser'd samsung slates are supposed to be beefier.
    ASUS vs Sammy:
    http://tablets-planet.com/2011/08/31/samsungs-series-7-tablet-pc-competes-with-the-asus-eee-slate-ep121/
    Samsung-Series-7-Slate-PC-with-keyboard-and-dock.jpg
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    I just preordered the samsung 7 series slate, when i do get it ill be sure to post some demos of maya zbrush and photoshop for it.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    ah man, that looks like an ace setup bishiplynx..perfect for chilled out art sessions in the living room...id totally get one if it wasnt so farn expensive :/