Home General Discussion

Feeling guilty - Artist dilemma?

Replies

• Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    How about being a neurotic and feeling guilty about everything you do to the point where nothing is enjoyable anymore?

Inner monologues for work/study:
    "Dude you want to be boring and working the rest of your life? maybe you should take a little time for rest and fun!"

Inner monologue for doing fun things like playing video games:
    "Dude what are you doing! Nobody is paying you to do this, you're not getting any work done to further your career!"
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Snacuum wrote: »
    How about being a neurotic and feeling guilty about everything you do to the point where nothing is enjoyable anymore?

Inner monologues for work/study:
    "Dude you want to be boring and working the rest of your life? maybe you should take a little time for rest and fun!"

Inner monologue for doing fun things like playing video games:
    "Dude what are you doing! Nobody is paying you to do this, you're not getting any work done to further your career!"

Well I find that playing video-games is both relaxing and kind of research for me. It tend to get me motivated to do some art when I see some brilliant art in games. I find that studying how other people go about it helps my own workflow. Right now I've also started taking some pointers from the fellas here and divided my "big"-project into smaller parts and then divided those small parts into smaller parts. It helps me trick my mind that it's not a huge project but smaller quicker and rewarding stepping stones.

If I get bored with one part of the project I move onto the next one, still working on the same as a whole but it feels different because the workflow is different. It's quite nice. :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfqL0JLYZ9U&feature=player_embedded#!

Watch the video and listen to what he says, he is so right in some of his points of view. The younger you are the more time you are willing to spend taking on many projects at a time and polishing those skills. but the older you get there are other things that are important. You might not want to dedicate all your time to just doing art 24/7. I guess its a matter of perspective and what you want to do. I tend to leave work at work, and not take it home. But i have a wife and things to do at home, and enjoy other things. At work i put a lot of dedication and its something that i don't consider work, its my time to do art and to make unique things that make me happy. Some people don't find that, some people do i guess. Anyways.. great video non the less.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The point is you either enjoy art or you don't. I have done art even before I owned a pc
    I don't work as hard as i used to when I was in my 30's but I still put the hours in when i can. I have a 16 month old daughter now, so trips to the park tend to take priority)
    When I was working full time in games i used to come home and spend time with the missus on the whole, but i did still do personal projects when I had the 'itch'
    I am fairly obsessive really, there are times when I have almost not turned up for work because I was trying to find a solution to some topology or sculpting issue in zbrush.
    I think you should never feel guilty about not doing stuff, if you are in the mood, then fine, otherwise try and enjoy your life.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Well I find that playing video-games is both relaxing and kind of research for me. It tend to get me motivated to do some art when I see some brilliant art in games. I find that studying how other people go about it helps my own workflow. Right now I've also started taking some pointers from the fellas here and divided my "big"-project into smaller parts and then divided those small parts into smaller parts. It helps me trick my mind that it's not a huge project but smaller quicker and rewarding stepping stones.

If I get bored with one part of the project I move onto the next one, still working on the same as a whole but it feels different because the workflow is different. It's quite nice. :)

Excellent! You don't appear to be a neurotic then. Seriously I'm at the point where even when the only thing I need have to do is piss-easy college projects and I literally can't bring myself to do it.

Like seriously, imagine you have a delicious steak right in front of you, all for you, and you just can't bring yourself to eat it.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Snacuum wrote: »
    Excellent! You don't appear to be a neurotic then. Seriously I'm at the point where even when the only thing I need have to do is piss-easy college projects and I literally can't bring myself to do it.

Like seriously, imagine you have a delicious steak right in front of you, all for you, and you just can't bring yourself to eat it.

Yeah man , I'm not the type who gets depressed, I usually walk around with a smile all day. I do feel guilty sometimes but I'm also the type that works hard and love to hear about other peoples experiences, good or bad. :)

Well if you're in college, use your time well :) It's the years that seperate the good ones from the bad ones. :thumbup:
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, its really inspirational to hear all of you talk about keeping your motivation up after life inside the industry. As an artist who is still struggling to get there and hasn't faced the type of burnout and guilt that has plagued some of you throughout your professional careers.

I was under the impression though that after you produced art for a project that it could be included in your professional portfolio. Since all of your effort was going into building a game, i figured fair was fair in where that worked could be used, especially after your where laid off or downsized. I'm guessing this isn't the case the way some of you talk about the importance of personal works while holding a day job in the industry.
    glottis8 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfqL0JLYZ9U&feature=player_embedded#!

Watch the video and listen to what he says, he is so right in some of his points of view. The younger you are the more time you are willing to spend taking on many projects at a time and polishing those skills.

Totally agree with what is said in this video, especially in regards to workflow. I used to think there where some special tricks the masters used that I wasn't aware of. Turns out the secret ingredient to successful works is self-motivation and using your eyes to refine your artistic abilities. Really wish i knew that inside and out while i was still in school the way i understand it now.