Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Tumbler

OK so I haven't posted anything I've been working on in quite some time simply because I just haven't had time for anything till now.

Just gotten back into the swing of things and I figured I'd try something I've been wanted to do for a while but just had trouble getting it right...till now :)

It's still a work in process, there are no textures yet and the low poly version still needs unwrapping before I can do anything with it.

The current render here is using Max 2012's Nitrous viewport driver (it's brilliant) with Photoshop grunge on top.

tumblersheet1.jpg

tumblerhd1.jpg

There are still a couple of problems with it, the top is a bit off and there are support bars on the back missing which i need to add, but for the most part i'm happy with my weekend's work.

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I love this so glad someone did It, I actually wanted to try It one day but you did a great job.

Make a texture of It with that army paint It had in the movie but this defiantly needs a scene to be pimped out in. :)

Edit:
    If you could maybe give a guide to how you went about this, It would be helpful to the new comers to learn.

Also some flats would be good :)
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god this is awesome!
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as i say there are still some errors on it especially the roof, tbh i think that area needs completely redoing. The low poly is coming along nicely, its 30k polys which isn't bad but there are no detals on the back wheels yet so that'll bump it up a bit.

definitely gona try and get it into a scene when i have the time :) possibly get the thing finished this weekend and get the scene started then. the army texture shouldn't be an issue either so that'd be pretty cool.

More to come :)

edit: see if i can get a quick guide made up some time soon.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YUSSS!!

Looks good man.
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update on this, worked on the low poly over the weekend, got that practically finished now. I also re-worked the roof, the back end and the sides to conform more with the schematics as i actually didn't use any blue-prints to start off with, wanted to see how far i could get by just going by eye, wasn't far off :)

I've also unwrapped and textured the front wheels, with the plan on using the same texture sheet (half of it is still blank) for the rear wheels. The sheet is 1024x1024, i would of gone for smaller but since the wheels are completely out in the open, they need more detal than what would be used on regular cars hense the larger texture sheet.

[URL=
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9600/tumblersheet2.jpg]tumblersheet2.jpg[/URL]

Edit: fixed the issue with the seems around the tire wall, its now a smooth circle rather than straight edges :)
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello lmpala88,

Nice work there. I think you did a really nice work. I just wanted to share a couple of comments.

I think although the black base you did looks nice. I assume is a mix of grunge brushes to achieve the base black. I think you might want to add some more subtle textures that maybe arent easy to get from paint strokes like in this ref:

tumbler.jpg

As now I feel its more just darker vs paler dark tones. but you can go a bit more in detail.
    Also maybe desaturating the black just a tad, and using different gloss values for some areas might be cool.
    And one last comment, I have the impression there is a lot of the "white scratch" brush all around maybe subtling it or removing it in some parts might give some punch as well.

Well I am being picky but hope it helps. As I said this is a very cool piece already.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Maze, thanks for the tips :)

The black render image i did doesn't actually have any textures on it, that was just a viewport render from 3ds max using standard materials with different diffuse colours, i just added highlights and shadows in photoshop for a quick look at what it could end up like :)

For the actual textures i will take a good hard look at each reference image and make sure ther are subtle differences in the panels as you say, also the first rendered image lacks details such as rivets and split lines so those will also need to be there :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I just have one real crit, and that's that the paintover is too shiny. The tumbler should be matte, it should be evil and angry - it should not be neatly polished.

There's also a couple of nitpicks:
    -front wheels have the outer 2 rings of bumps offset about half a bump
    -rear wheels outer bumps have some small ridges leading from the shoulder down the sides
    -the rims also seem a bit off on the rear
    -missing the zigzag under the windows
    -a bunch of the hydraulics could stand to be a bit thicker

This is all about the HP btw, I figure the LP is still heavy WIP.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more updates:

done some more on the high poly, looked at the points raised by Snader, also added in a few more details it was missing. I think now, i just need to sort the roof out, its still off, and get the rear wheels sorted more. the tread still seems a bit too thick and the raised sections don't come up far enough.

Lastly, the jet thruster needs the vector panels adding.

tumblersheet3.jpg

oh and woops, it's still missing the zigzag under the window, knew i'd forgotten something.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another quick update, i've fixed up the rear wheels and sorted the roof. The rear wings are also bigger and fit with the car more. also added in the thrust vector nozzel and the zigzag under the window. Also fixed the ring on the back to a more horse shoe shape, and cut out a gap at the bottom of the jet thruster casing.

pics:

tumblersheet4.jpg
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the high poly is pretty finished now, the only bits left are some support structures for the rear stabilizers which i can add as a seperate piece and a supporting bar across the back which i can also add in later.

I'm now going to be working on the low poly, lining it up to match the high poly as i've made quite a few changes since i made it, and then eventually unwrapping the whole thing.

The rear tires still bother me a bit, but i think it's just because of their "cleanlyness" ion the high poly renders, with a bit of grunge and damage around the edges of the rubber it should look ok.
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking fantastic :)
    I´m pretty sure, that most of the little details that seem to stand out and dpmt not seem 100% right, are due to the fact that you miss them almost completely on the real tumbler, due to its color and how details, shadows and reflections get absorbled into the mat black, as opposed to the grey default on the model.
    Ive been swapping back and forth from this and photos on google, and the only thing I can spot that seems off, is the rear suspension springs. They look like they are too thin/narrow, and too far inwards.
    But as I said, that might just be the colors and lighting playing tricks on the eyes :)
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more updates! i've finished up the wheels to get them out of the way. They share the same texture sheets, (diffuse spec and normal) with the sheets being 1024x1024. I intend to have the body use one set of 2048x2048 sheets to keep texture sizes to a minimum, but can anyone advise on this?

the front wheels total at 900 tris each.

However the rear wheels are a bit more poly heavy, they have no "inner" polys where the two large wheels meet on either side, but they each have a hubcap thing and caps on the inside. Each Super Swamper wheel is at 1700 tris, with the 5 spoke hubcap at 580 tris, so roughly 8000 tris for the full rear wheel section.

• Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the wheels and got some wires as well. Only thing i'm looking at is the front wheels, i kind of added a cheap way to rotate the outer bumps, but obviously it adds a whole 2 rings of polys to it. I'll need to go back and change the textures so i can get rid of those extra polys soon, its mucking up the siloette too.

wheelsheet.jpg

Oh and i'm also on the way with an environment for it too, thought long and hard about where to put this monster, and i've settled on Lower Fifth from the first film where he's out-running the cops. Should be able to get some nice shots from that scene i hope :) The body of the tumbler is also almost finished on the unwrap side, just need to squeeze in more space, although i've now decided to set it using 2x1024 maps and 1x2048 map, the 2048 for all the large visable areas, one 1024 for all the small stuff like hydraulics, guns and suspension aswell as all the flappy bits all over it, and the last 1024 being the wheels.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. I've put the tumbler on hold for a short while now to get the environment started. (or the shorter version is, i get bored easily).

However, i've run into a slight problem. As you can see from the images below i'm using alpha's for the road markings/vents/swers and wiers etc. But, once i build the lightmass, the alphas will fade to complete black as they get further from the player's view.

Anyone know the cause of this or how to fix it?

pics for comparison:
    No lightmass

maptest12.jpg

lightmass

maptest11.jpg
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, fixed the problem with the alphas. The fog was messing up the lighting on them, so all i needed to do was take off the fog option in the material setup as it's using a translucent blend mode for the soft edges.
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good :D
    something strange going on with the yellow lines on the road from the lighting though.
    Becomes very brown in the brighter of the two pics.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well that was the jist of the problem i outlined in my post =)
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well durp on me then :)

- i r need learn reading! /flings pooh in random directions and runs off
  • KeithC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeithC polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice work on what is the BEST Batman Mobile of all time! :thumbup:
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updates on the environment. I sware i'll get back to work on the tumbler soon, but i'm enjoying making this alot atm :)

But anyway, figured since i posted a quick pic of it before, i'd post some more improved shots. It's all based on Lower Wacker Drive in chicago, will probably post reference pics tomorrow.

still quite a lot to add, next up are some water barrels at the on/off ramps followed by piping and wiring on the walls to fill the area in. Currently the on/off area lacks any kind of focus. There's also the concrete walls on either side of the road along with litter and other additions.

here're some pics:

map3c.jpg
    map2a.jpg
    map1r.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    This looks incredible! Very inspirational stuff. I've wanted to recreate a scene from a movie so bad!
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Well, since noone has said anything, I feel I should be the one to tell you that you're a terrible artist and have no future here. Clearly, you have no talent and are wasting your time. Sorry man :/

What's that? He's better than I will ever be? Well, in that case... This is fucking sick dude. Not only do you have a slammin' vehicle but a nice flushed environment to go with it. One thing I noticed: I see that the lights in the ceiling pieces are just emissives in the texture. Are there going to be fixtures with wires or are you just going to leave it as glowing concrete?

Regardless, keep going with this. Very, very cool.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Appreciate it guys :)

@suburbbum Definitely! Yeah i'm planning on creating yet more alphas for a series of wires that i can line up with the lights. The cieling will also be quite full in places with pipes and what not, the real place it's based on is quite varied with whats around, some places its bare concrete, others is a mass of cables and girders, so i'm going for both in and around the scene.

But yeah definitely gona have some wires to tie things together, maybe even have some hanging down a bit lose on the walls or in the center.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more pretty pictures:

map21r.jpg

map22.jpg

not sure about the change from the orange hue to the yellow, i actually did it by accident messing with the environment overal colour but personally i prefer the more orangy hue so will probably change the lightning back again, or as close as i can get it.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, just realised, the off/on ramps are kind of in the wrong place. Will do a big overhaul tonight and switch them around. UK to USA road knowledge fail. Least it'll give me a reason to ill out the big open area more, hell i may even copy/paste a second length section onto it and get the ramp up to the main street.
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's a really great model of the tumbler man. can't wait to see it all textured up and placed in your completed scene.
  • Dr Stench
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you show from which reference you are working for the bat mobile?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hey great work man! Really love the environment so far, I believe you should work some more on the lighting though because right now I think it's way too yellow :)

Here is my suggestion if you don't mind
    2w6b2mo.jpg

Great work, would love to see more :)!
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think that tunnels/underpasses are lit with quite a lot of yellow actually, like so:

tunnel_lighting_enlarged.jpg
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the crit.

@Dr Stench i'm pretty much using every picture of the tumbler i can get my hands on, but i'm not basing it on any blueprints at the moment. It's at a point where it's all looking right by eye, but there are still areas where the plates just aren't in the correct position or there are bits missing here and there (one example is the air intakes behind the cockpit infront of the rear wheels, which will be addressed on the low poly with some modular pieces) so i'll amend any more areas as it goes on.

@chrisradsby well, i have been looking at the scene and thinking it'd look nice as more of a bluey hue, however the area the film is based on in chicago and especially during the night, is bathed in a very saturated yellow/orange glow:

454791261_de0d643021.jpg

in the film's not so much, but they still have a definitive yellow hue to the area, which is why i've chosen to keep the colour as close to that as possible. As i say, i think it's too yellow though and not orange enough so i'll be changing the lighting around to best fit the scene.

edit: wow looking back at my previous pics, i think they'd benifit more by being even more bathed in orange, cheers for the pic Illybang :)
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great! Can't wait see it done. One small thing I noticed though is kerb height. Looks a bit low at the moment.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah for sure, but even though reference says orange an orange tint ain't that sweet on the eyes, that's what I think ^^ Can't really say that that orange reference shot you got there looks nice :) But it's just my preference of course.

Maybe looking at Gran Turismo 5 would be good? They have some tunnels in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmO1MF9gQeA&feature=player_detailpage#t=56s

I quite like this one as well contrasting green with orange.
    1238915343AT1iRE.jpg
    2yovcdc.jpg

Just throwing ideas out there :D
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i know exactly what you're saying :) so basically what i'll do is once i get back to this i'm going to hack up some lighting shots with different colours, see what green lighting and orange ambient looks like, i like the green and orange contrast.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok here are the lighting tests:

whitetest.jpg
    orangetest.jpg
    greentest.jpg
    bluetest.jpg

still not sure which i like, although i can change it on the fly as it's just the post process volume.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I like no 2 and 4 the best, the orange of 2 reminds me of the film more though. The 4th one is just really atmospheric and cool. So maybe you can take elements of both and then up the contrast between lights and darks as well because it feels very evenly lit now.
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like no 2 and 4 the best, the orange of 2 reminds me of the film more though.

i totally agree with this. it just 'feels' the most batman to me personally.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i think the orange suits it best, although i've been playing with some renders and i do like the blue aswell, it gives it more of a realistic feel than the others, but draws away from the look in the film. Anyway, here are some pics of the finished layout, next on the list is random pipes, wires, litter, boxes, barrels blah blah blah, and stuff like that. The blue hue it has currently isn't the final one i'll use, just looking at how it goes with the scene from various angles.

Oh, i also figured out why the pillars were so dark on the previous shots....UV channel 2 FTL.
    map4s.jpg
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    tumbler looks awesome. and the textures in your environment look nice and crisp. sorry, dont have anything constructive to say here.. i just really like this one.
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man thats one sexy beast of a model ! props !
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, ok now that i have the layout finished, i'm going to be adding in wires, pipes etc, but with certain parts i want some physics to be visable, cloth etc. One of the things i'd like to have is hanging wires that sway with wind. What would be the best way to go about this?

I've thought about possibly using cloth for it, but i'm not sure how that'd affect the wire if i want to make it use a 3D mesh.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, new images:

I havn't done as much as i'd hoped in this recent update, however i have added more signs in the center area, and also added some pipes (still needs more though) I've also created an FX material that sharpens the mid-ground of the image used in the post process chain. playing through it it's looking pretty nice.

here's the thread i used for this: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78153

map51.jpg
    map52.jpg
    map53.jpg
    map54.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Is this still Max viewport?!

Anyway, I prefer the more cold colors lighting, but I'm a sucker for blue, so! :)

Amazing progresses, loving this, I'm sure it will give a great final scene.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good lmpala88, I think that sharpen shader is helping allot, really brings out the concrete. I am a fan of the blue tint lighting. Have you got much planned for the open space? It is looking pretty empty at the moment (Guessing that in the film it would be full of parked cars)
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @[HP] nah this is in UDK, although it could be posible to get the same effect in max viewport with some patience and effort.
    @Barnsey Yeah i'm looking at it now and i'm torn between the orange and the blue, the blue makes it more believable, and i think i may end up going for something like that for the final finished piece, depends how the tumbler sits in the scene with the blue hue. Also, the large open area is intended to be a sort of junction/U-turn area aswell as on/off ramps, still got some more road markings to make, and possibly some pavement islands.

hoping to get the remaining pipes and wires in tonight, then onto more things like barriers barrels etc and the markings on the floor.

Another thing i need to change is the ambient lighting provided by point lights, it's way too bright in sections, especially down the tunnel stretches as apposed to the on/off ramp section. So i'll tone down the tunnel lights and ad in some low brightness ones for the mid section. Think i'll also reduce the tone mapping amount in the post proccess, bring the brightness of the whole scene down a touch.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spent another bit of time on this now, added hanging pipes, electric boxes, re-did the roads and added some partilces in places. Also sorted out the mid section, and started adding some graffiti, still not sure about the big ones might just go for smaller stuff. But the main changes i still need to make though i think are to the roads still. More grates, metal plates, overlay sections as-well as spray-paint markings (road-works and such).

Finally it still needs boxes, litter, barrels with possibly a fire particle system, it also needs hanging or loose wires and hanging drape or cloth in some part of the environment (don't know why, i'll find out once i've put it in).

map61.jpg
    map62.jpg
    map63.jpg
    map64.jpg
  • Scampbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scampbell polycounter lvl 7
    I actually like the big graffiti i think you should do some more. it also brings in some more color into the scene. as far as post process my vote is blue its just so much easier on the eyes then the orange. Grate job on all of this stuff man
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naww, still not sure with the lighting on this one. I know that there are lots of places with lighting like this but still, the depth in the scene just disappears, now it's just all orange with nothing that actually leads the eye.

Maybe greenish tint with yellow/orange lights? A bit more contrasty wth darker shadows? Oh yeah don't forget to add a vignette, it helps bring more depth to the scene.
    29xi5vp.jpg

I think you have something really sweet going on, but you should def think more about the lighting even though you're working from reference. :)
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, ok will be looking o add more graffiti to the walls then ared in some kind of graffiti or at least half to give the place some needed colour.

@Chrisradsby Yeah i get what you're saying about the overly orange hue. The orange is now coming from a mix between the post-process and the actual lights, but something i'm going to try is having everything set to white, lights and post process colour adjust, aswell as any baked colours in the textures, and then mess around with the lighting there. Going to have a look at a more blue/green approach give it more of a "crysis" feel rather than what the film shows. I know this will eventually make the map look far different from the film references, but it's something i'm considering.

It definitely does need a contrast between the lights and the surroundings and i want to bring out the individual colours of the seperate parts of the map, especially the reds and yellows of the barriers. The graffiti will help to even things out alot here aswell.