Home Unreal Engine

static meshes not casting shadows?

GammaMinus
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
GammaMinus polycounter lvl 17
hey yinz,

long time member, first time thread-creater.

i am building a level in UDK almost purely out of static meshes. i have set up my meshes to have light mapping on the second uv channel and they accept shadows from bsp just as one would expect. the problem is that i can't seem to get shadows to be cast from one static mesh onto another. for that matter, i would also like self shadowing per object as well. is there some simple step i am missing?

in the attached image you can see that the bsp block right next to my beam IS casting a shadow while the static mesh beam is not. this render is taken from the viewport after building all, but it looks the same when i "run from here".

any help is certainly appreciated!

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    make sure your light has its lighting channels set properly. Try turning on dynamic, and other shadows to see if it makes a difference with the static mesh pillar.

Also make sure the static mesh has its cast shadows option on.

Self shadowing appears to be always on if any shadow casting is on. You can toggle self shadow only, but there does not appear to be a toggle for no self shadow per object.
  • GammaMinus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GammaMinus polycounter lvl 17
    ah yes... there is an "enable shadow casting" checkbox for every submaterial. i had only checked the first. thanks!