Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yuri

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Trying again, hopefully with some good planning this time.

Based on:
modernwarfare3character.jpg

So far:
yuriv.png

Crits please! Thanks

Replies

• Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    broader/bigger shoulders man :)
    good block-in i guess, gotta get yo sculpt on bro ^_^

Can be good to sculpt-sketch out the head first if you're looking for somthing small to bust out to keep you going. Plus it can inform alot of the character overall.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    you need to take that head and seperate it from the model and work on that. Get that shit looking good. Then focus on everything else. overall the model looks good. You say you have good planning but you show 3 different references. What do you plan on doing for the face. pic one and go with it. put some eyeballs in there so you an base everything else on that revolves around the eye. fix that ear, its bothering me. ears are difficult. you might want to model it seperate and then find a way to attach it to the model, dont try to grow that shit out of something thats not usable.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything is separated, the head will be redone in zbrush, this is all just a base :P

Nizza, the shoulders looked very broad before I put the vest on, I think the may be a bit too wide at the shoulder straps.
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    it is your concept arts ?
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    frell wrote: »
    Nizza, the shoulders looked very broad before I put the vest on, I think the may be a bit too wide at the shoulder straps.
    There's not some optical illusion caused by the vest, you just need to make the shoulder's broader to match the character in the reference. You might make his torso taper a tiny bit as well.

I can't tell if you did this, but it would have been smart to get the overall form/basic anatomy on the base model before putting clothes on top of it.

Pay attention to how the fingers extend from the hand - they come out in more of an arc at their base, not a straight line.

As mentioned that's not a very good starting point for an ear. Ears aren't just holes in the side of your head. You should add some geo to your base.

I know this is a very beginning stage, but I'll point out some things that are different from the concept (assuming you want to follow the concept exactly):
    Pocket on (his) right pantleg should be more on the front of his leg
    clips on straps attaching the gun holster seem incorrectly placed (the one clip looks like it's overlapping two straps that cross? What?)
    Are you gonna model his watch?
    In ref I believe shirt is tucked in and belt is visible

Anyway keep it up good luck
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some changes, Ill add to his shoulders more in zbrush stage.

yuri2u.png
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    He's kind of looking dumpy in your blockout. Like an out of shape, older man.

In the concept art, he looks mid-aged and in really good shape.

I think it's a matter of tweaking the build and proportions a bit, which you'd be best to do before you start sculpting so you have a base that's as close to your concept art as possible.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I really think that you should take Nizza and Glynn's advice and bring the shoulders out and up, to give a nice heroic triangle to his torso, also I think that the thighs could do with being a little thicker. Getting as much goodness into the silhouette as you can early on will benefit you tons down the road....keep at it man :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im afraid the face basemesh is having some very negative affects on the character at this stage :S try and ignore it please

Is there any way to modify more than one subtool at a time in zbrush? I can easily buff him up a bit and fix some issues with a move brush, but if I can't do it to all the layers at once ill have to redo the shirt and vest again.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    transpose master is what you need for that Frell....if you dont have it installed already then you can download it from here:

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/zplugins/
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok fixed up some proportion issues and slimmed the neck a tiny bit and redid the face. Again, this is still a base mesh:

Tried to capture that flat forehead to go with the haircut, gave him the more triangle cheeks like in the concept and broader eyebrows.

Ive removed alot of pocket detail that can be added in zbrush

Pants are baggier since they're cargo pants

tapered the torso so the vest looks tighter and not like a life jacket

popped out the shoulders

yuri3.png

And here a basic color scheme:
    yuricolor.png

Not really much left to do before I go to zbrush, so ill wait for the next batch of crits

So far everything looks great and its improved alot thanks to the comments! For some reason when I started this project I left out the collar, I half assed the holster and then I realized its putting effort into every little detail that brings the work together, and I went back and redid everything :D
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumpedy Bump Bump before im off to nighty night night.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, time for zbrush crits. Great start though, but I always like it more after I listen to people as long as it doesnt require an overhaul :P.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT THE FRONT POCKET ON THE LEG OMFG

Theres a few things I want to do with the vest shoulder straps, alot of it looked like texture work though or it was just plain cloth.

yurizbrush.png
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    everything looks a bit too subdivided, there's still a whole tonne of forms to add on lower sub levels, so i'd really try and not go anywhere near the higher ones, I know your tempted! (i'm looking at you, surface skin detail and shirt buttons!)

it looks like it's going well so far, but seriously, i would just delete the highest sub level on all ur tools and really push the lower levels
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds good, will do.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How should I do the buttons then if the density cant support it? Just make HP cylinders and tag them on?
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Not much to add compared to what Sir Ace already wrote, I'd just say you should be careful on the cloth wrinkle. Seems like the jacket is made from a material that shouldn't have that much wrinkles compared to what you made.

Also for the shirt, around the shoulder, i don't think the wrinkles should follow the muscles. It's more like the other way around, actually :)

For the buttons, one way you could use is go to the lowest or just before level, mask it and extract it. That way you'll have a separate buttons with separate geometry level which you'll be able to tweak as much as you want to add some details, without overloading the current mesh~

I hope it's somewhat clear enouh ^^"
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As to the jacket, for some reason in my head I remember handling a jacket like that at one point and sometimes they're coated in a thing wrinkly cloth, but now that I think of it it should be vynle or whatever
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update:

yuriee.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump, can;t wait to get to texturing but I don't want to leave anything out!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    no! bad frell! no texturing for like 20 more hours of work on this, seriously!

i'll do you a paintover, but i've had a few drinks, so take it with a pinch of salt...
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    fd8ito50.gif

right, here's some pointers, but the main thing to note is THE HIGH POLY IS NOWHERE NEAR DONE!!!

The crease work you've done in the trousers is a decent start, but its not nearly enough, its fine for like 2 levels down, but on this level you should have wayyyyy more crease work.

The creases on the arm are wrong, they're virtually never like that, you need to use some reference. the crease focal point will be in the armpit, so most creases will come from there, put on a tshirt and take some pictures...

The high poly of your model should take longer than anything else, focus all your energy and time on it and only move on from there when it's perfect.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Everything looks cool but the face looks a bit strange the proportions are out.

Jody
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    Trying again, hopefully with some good planning this time.

Based on:
    modernwarfare3character.jpg

avatar-20090922043156668_640w.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do ace!

Here was my reference:

In the concept his pants aren't that baggy but I need sharper folds definitely

2547266_f248.jpg

gap-zip-vent-cargo-pants-profile.jpg

As to the pocket, as you can see, at the start it was on the side but then I decided to follow the concept as much as possible, and its on the front :S

I love crits because it always looks so much better once you're done making changes, and it keeps on going
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok getting stuff done

yuriupdate.png
  • Deadpixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadpixel polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice details around the clothing. I don't know if you change the proportions since you started but it looks much better in your latest update.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Turn that frown upside down and keep going!!!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know what else to add to or refine, this is the farthest I've gone on any character
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn that looks like an old bruce willis :D
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message