Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Kenneth Robinson

R3D
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
R3D interpolator
http://www.kenr3d.com

Any and all critics are taken into consideration so please feel free to rip it apart. :poly130:

I'll most likely be working on an arch viz scene next, haven't quite decided yet. :poly121:

Replies

• MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I like the layout. Nice and simple. I think they're are serious scale issues in the second piece though. The x-rays, floor tiles and desk (I think) are all giving me conflicting feeling of scale. I think some things might nned to be scaled down (or scaled up) to read better.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    +You know your way arround UDK
    +Simple layout of page
    +Submarine desert scene is decent
    -Second scene not as impressive
    -You could work with your texturing skills
    -Needs other assets/ more content
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that REALLY sticks out to me is you have an I beam resting on a couch.. that is one sturdy ass couch.. perhaps edit it a little to show that the I beam is kind of pushing into it?

Other than that it is looking quite good. Although others might give better pointers ^-^

Good luck!
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    right - first scene is mostly good, i like the vertex shader but i'm a sucker for that kind of tech in udk. the sand needs more detail to break it up imo, a few small stones and or plants would be good. the props collection needs some work too imo - the i beam is completely straight? why is there a perfect i beam in the desert? did it come from the sub somehow? i guess thats possible, but i'd expect it to be bent and broken up a bit, imo it looks very low poly compared to the rest of the scene. same with the sofa - i dont think the bevel is really doing anything for you, at first i thought it was just boxes until i saw the wires. i might be tempted just to scrap it and start again or at least invest some time in increasing the polycount and form and texture. the barrel is ok but seems to have edge loops that dont really do anything? either break up the shape a bit more or get rid of them imo. the texture looks a little like stone too imo. the texture on the tyre isnt really working for me either - is it tiling properly? there seems to be vertical lines in it that arent in the texture that are distracting the eye. were the props added later to pad out the scene or something similar? personally want to see more of the sub itself and that area.

the second scene has potential too - i agree with MrHobo on the scale though, no so much with the xrays but the floor tiles are massive compared to the desk. i'd probably at least half the size of them. the lighting could do with some work too - you've got completely black shadows which are way too harsh and basically just wrong. you'd always get enough bounce light from the xray machine to light the whole room i reckon. i'd like to see more of this too tbh - wires and textures etc. if you're after games jobs then in engine is always better than rendered. also you can show off skills like the vertex painting shader in the other scene.

i'm not sure about the two closeups you've chosen to show too - the xray machine is basically jsut a texture isnt it? and the other doesnt really have a focus point? remember everything you show in your portfolio shows your artist skills - even things like shot selection.

do you have a particular career focus at all? ie games or arch vis etc? its nice to know a bit of everything and thats great if you're just a hobbiest but might be better to focus on games if thats what you're after. if you want to do somethign architectural thats cool - there's plenty of buidlings in games, but things like materials and polycounts etc obviously matter a lot more.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Oh hey you posted on vidyadev threads.
    I like the work but I am seeing a lot of "lego placement".
    I don't see a good transition between your object placement. When you place something give it more context. How did it get there? How long? What would happen over that period?
    Hourence's book covers a lot of this.
    Oh and the desert scene could use more particles.

I never knew concrete was flammable.
    tVNmC.png

By the way its Honk.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    Oh hey you posted on vidyadev threads.
    I like the work but I am seeing a lot of "lego placement".
    I don't see a good transition between your object placement. When you place something give it more context. How did it get there? How long? What would happen over that period?
    Hourence's book covers a lot of this.
    Oh and the desert scene could use more particles.

I never knew concrete was flammable.
    tVNmC.png

By the way its Honk.

Don't know how to do particles in UDK, plus its a purely asthetic look and doesnt really have anything to do with modeling. As far as jobs go, i'm looking more into Jr Modeler or surface/texture artist positions.

And yeah I need to adjust the spec map for the barrel, feels a bit too much like concrete, but it could go either way. I'll update the textures later this week and replace the current ones with some new screenshots.

Also as far as lego placement goes, I find that most games these days do something similar in that they reuse many of the same props to populate the scene.

I've been a tad burnt out working on that scene, since it's taken me much too long to get it completed. I'll adjust the barrel slighty but I really want to just be done with it and get on to something new.

In response to Tharle, I'm interested more in games, however I'll take whatever I can get at the moment. I've talked to a couple HR guys over at Siggraph and they all mention that all they care about is that it looks cool.

and finally
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    -You could work with your texturing skills
    I'm having a hard time figuring out what this means, is it that my texturing skills are good enough for work, or that my texture skills need work?

Also that second scene I did about half a year ago, its definitely not the best of my work, but I still think it's decent enough, albeit there are alot of problems I have with it.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The normal map is too noisy on the barrel I would say. Need some flat areas with scratches and what not in the normal, diffuse, and then use a spec to bring out scratches, stains, things of that nature.

The textures in your first scene seem pretty good, but the textures in the desert scene need work. The empty sand in the desert scene looks so... bland. Needs small rocks, more desert vegetation would help too.

If you don't want to add objects to the open area, then you could also work with the terrain and make it look more like this.

http://www.planethopia.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/desert1.jpg

Remember to always use references when you work too. :thumbup:
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I would lose the links to other artists on your home page. It always seems like a student thing to do, and you don't want to give off that image. Also, if a prospective employer comes to your site to potentially hire you, right away you are giving them links to other artists for them to check out.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I would lose the links to other artists on your home page. It always seems like a student thing to do, and you don't want to give off that image. Also, if a prospective employer comes to your site to potentially hire you, right away you are giving them links to other artists for them to check out.
    It's more a mutual respect thing, but i'll consider it. Thanks!