Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    for me the textures are a bit too noise. no areas where the eye can "relax"
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    Hi guys,

here again. having abit of a problem and hoping somebody can help out. Below is the basic wall I currently have along with a reference picture of what I aim to replicate. Does anyone have any advice on what's the best way around achieving this result.

334 Tris

eg7s6r.jpg

Hey there, mate. Well... if i was you i would use two methods to replicate the wall from the picture...well....not replicate but the basic idea of "realistic" wall.

First: if you have Autodesk Mudbox or zBrush, try to make it a highpoly fence and then retopologiez.
    Second: you can manually model the wall. It's not necessary to make it perfect. Just add a more polygons and try to deform it and then smooth it. Also make a heightmap for a better quality (not just for the wall).

As for the scene you could add a little fog, some bloom could work too (someone mentioned on this thread), water puddles...don't know.

I have a question also: How did you created the terrain? It looks pretty realistic. Did you tessellated it?
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bearded_Man polycounter lvl 8
    Hey k21n,

thanks, I cant say I am very familiar with Zbrush yet so that may prove slightly difficult. I think I might opt for changing the texture to something more readable and adding more polys any ideas on what a general poly count budget should be for an asset like this that will be instanced over the level.

Cheers
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bearded_Man polycounter lvl 8
    Hey sorry,

As for the terrain I just used the unreal terrain editor and set three layered materials in the stack , first time in using it actually, I am really impressed with how well it works :)