Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rural Britan Industrial Age Scene

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Bearded_Man polycounter lvl 8
Well I have decided to start a new project, the project is going to be based on creating real time game assets (for UDK) in an English Industrial age style. The main asset for the environment scene shall be a small house / Shack with supporting props to hopefully bring the scene to life. I hope to keep the poly counts to a minimum or game standard and hope to get some feedback and advice along the way smile.gif

Just a note: This was a previous thread on another site so Iam posting everything now to show my progression from the start.

Cheers
Glynn

fp59c2.jpg

Replies

• Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, well I have been again dabbling into this piece again. Here’s an updated shot of the ......17th C shack. I hope I am moving in the right direction regarding your crits. I have edited the Roof slightly with sag and reviewed the corner stone’s for the moment texturing to follow and maybe some more details to improve character?.

Thanks again for the advice and help!
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is the wireframe.

24wx1r6.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here’s just another screen grab of the shack, I have gone for another type of texture scheme, any opinions? I personally prefer this one as I believe the corner stone’s blend a little more into the complete building. I understand the texturing is naff at the mo but hey, I am just was just getting a rough idea.

2sahvk1.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I think I have become satisfied with the outcome of the shack. I have been playing around with the textures and feel that this scheme seems to work, Crits? The model is just short of 1,600 so I am hoping I can produce some suitable props such as a bench, wall lantern, an old cart etc without having a high poly count. I am going to aim to have a completed set including props within UDK equalling roughly 5,000 Tris max.

As it may be noticeable, this is a render of the model with a quick light set up and no Normal / spec maps added yet. I am in the process of creating them now smile.gif

Thanks for the comment Jan, yeah I purposely sagged the roof to add a sense of age and character.

Your comments are more than welcome

Thanks

rm6vqu.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the response lately. Here’s some grabs of the shack at its latest, I have changed the roof and tried to break the texture up a bit with the newer and older tiles. I have also tried to give some definition to the slate at the ends of the roof as it seems to add interest to the silhouette from eye level.
    I am looking forward to completing the house, ready for creating the specs, normal’s and then hopefully exporting into UDK complemented by some props.

Your opinions always welcome! smile.gif

Cheers

htbfpy.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well unfortunately I have not had much chance lately to update my work, I have been away from work for awhile and I am now back working on this project. I thought it would be worthwhile popping up a render of my asset updates.

As you may be able to see I have tried to take in and work upon all contructive criticism. I have reviewed the main textures as I agree after looking back the stone was quiet hard to read however I have also tried to pick a different colour scheme in order to complement the wood texture.

This model is roughly 3,000 tris as I am trying to focus on low poly, I am currently creating props for the shack so I hope to not run over 5,000 regarding the finished piece, I feel that may be a reasonable count.

You opinions always welcomed

Cheers

2zthq4o.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the comments guys and also the heads up Dogmad.

I have currently just been knocking up some props for the overall scene so here are some grabs of what I have made up to now.

Below:

Outside Porch - 291 Tris

Broken cart wheel - 500 Tris

11szbkl.jpg[/img]
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here’s the Basic 500 poly wheel. In the process of UV and texturing now smile.gif

px2es.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is Log Pile Prop - 264 Tris

I plan on having this placed out the front of the shack, sheltered by the porch.

[IMG][/img]2vw9106.jpg[IMG][/IMG]
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And again,

Simple bench Prop - 266 Tris

I also plan on placing this out the front just under the window on the far right.

[IMG][/img]1zox7hv.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I am kinda happy to say that so far I have completed and followed my guide lines.

I have created this shack with some custom props. I stuck to my guns and have not exceded my poly count of 5,000 polys, I am currently at 4,006. I now hope to import them successfully in UDK and start getting to grips with the program to construct a basic Scene smile.gif

Updates Shortly and your crits always welcome.
    Thanks to everyone so far!

Below are some renders of the shack before I start importing.
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Render 1 - 4,006 Tris

It might be noticeable to some but I did take an an earlier post opinion in mind about down sizing the corner stones, cheers I feel its much better suited now.

]2zrdod0.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And for everyone that like to see topology smile.gif

Cheers

[IMG][/img]2zf8msw.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As promised I am just updating this post with screen grabs from 3Ds max showing the final model and its props to be imported into UDK smile.gif

[IMG][/img]30u7hon.jpg
    nqei5h.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have finally imported all assets created so far into UDK with what I would like to think success. After a few tutorials I think I have scraped the mere surface of the program regarding importing assets but at least I can view my assets within an engine now smile.gif

As can be seen from the screen grabs I have been playing around with a rough set up of the scene. I checked a tutorial regarding creating the terrain too which has been quiet interesting. I have tried to roughly plot out the elevation of some terrain but I will defiantly advance on this...along with lighting and sky. I hope to create some more assets to fill the environment for example fences, sign posts, trees and so on, I hope to end up with a small community made up of a few houses props and foliage, generally resulting in an inhabited feel.
    Of course this is early days so I greatly appreciate anyone’s constructive crtis

Cheers!

[IMG][/img]2llg1lk.jpg
    [IMG][/img]j08t9i.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you have to spell my countrys name properly before you proceed.
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have posted my work upto date now and this is W.I.P

Your crits most welcome :)

Cheers
    Glynn
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha oh noo, what an idiot. I should Know its "Britain" as I am British!!
    Sorry everyone....I am having a retarded day
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice mate, looking good. Though the logs sticking out the log pile are really annoying me lol.
    All the other logs on the texture are rounded, but the ones you have put sticking out are chopped in half.
    Why don't you try using a 5-6 sided cylinder with a flat plane+alpha on the end to describe the end of the log?

Looks good though, what a massive improvement from the first post!
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, the textures are all quite noisy, which won't read well at anything other than close up. The black in the cracks between the 'bricks' is also really quite dark, which adds to the noise. You have to ask yourself - how deep are the cracks, and are they really deep enough that so little light will enter them and therefore be that dark?

I'd say on the side of a building, no matter what the surface, you'd be hard pushed to find a crack that deep that it would be so dark. Try lightening them up a wee bit. This will also help the object read a little better at longer range.

The cracks are large, which means chances are more light would enter them and they would also be more bevelled.

explains.png
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update as I have not recently....Been trying to fit time in for my portfolio work against going to work :/

Well I have been playing around with the scene set up and have been still getting the hang of the UDK engine, really starting to enjoy it I have placed some unreal assets, rocks and foliage around the environment to help plan out the scene before I create eventually create my own.

Below are some grabs of some extra props I am on with and plan to incorporate them within the scene. I also have an image of what I have so far with some added plan notes, rocks and foliage.

Cheers
    Glynn
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK screen shot at present.

I have recently been given some advice too from you guys at Polycount :) I have been told I can actualy tone down the SSAO which is giving me all those horrrid black outlines.

Updating soon!

vdjwqe.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Sky needs to change I'd say, you probably need to spend some time getting a more interesting composition. The angle right now ain't great. Find some reference of a nice composition you like of houses on hills and try to match it or just use it for inspiration. Good work so far man.
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Grass is really big and thick. Try scaling it down and adding more, or use a different model, one that's taller and thinner maybe?
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I prefer the previous texture you had on the regular stone on the building tbh, I belive you just needed to make it pop a bit more, maybe spending some love on the normal map.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Instead of just bumping your topic, maybe you'll want to show some updates.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Computron wrote: »
    Grass is really big and thick. Try scaling it down and adding more, or use a different model, one that's taller and thinner maybe?

+1.

lighting needs some work as well, your shadows really dark. Add a skylight at like 0.2 and claer them up.
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

Cheers for all your comments and apologise for lack of updates however just working in my spare time.

I am in the process of sorting those logs out as you’re not the only person that, I guess I was trying to cut polys like a tight ass yet break up to silhouette, I see your point tho
    I am also optimizing the wheel too, I felt it was maybe abit high poly much for what it is and thanks for pointing that out.

Below is an update of progress so far.

I have re edited abit of the terrain as you may be able to notice and I have also added in the fence, sign post and water well.
    Thankyou for suggesting editing the sky so I have edited slightly and brightened the dominant sky light.
    Updates soon and you comments appreciated!

Oh and does anybody have any good ideas/methods for closing off the scene in the background, I was thinking firstly to incorporate a hillside on the skybox texture?

Cheers
    Glynn
    2vb94rs.jpg
    330wvlz.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like some of your props aren't casting shadows or have any AO on them. ie: rocks, fence, wheel
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    The building and well are nicely done, but your over all environment is letting the scene down.

- Your going for an industrial age england feel right? Well the one thing that sells industrial England to me is smog, smoke stacks and generally stark shadows and darker colours. Your scene though is saying the opposite, you've got really bright skym grass and tree with what look like very unrealistic colours.

Initially I think you should try and work the colours of the lighting to help you out, then move onto the sky, add story and backdrop shapes to help sell the scene, then start working on the landscape and foliage colours.
    Your composition is also sort of awkward, but that's something you can work on when you've got the ambiance sorted out.

This is a great example of how rural england was during the industrial revolution: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jkBU5I8CdMQ/TQEeLA0_NvI/AAAAAAAAAB4/biwRQOdfxKk/s1600/sy2079.jpg

And here are some more realistic colours : http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00657/news-graphics-2008-_657846a.jpg

Anyway keep it up man, this is only the final piece of the puzzle!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    you're not doing very well with scale, or maybe its that camera angle. (just saw the new picture, its fine :P nevermind)

But your roofs could really push this. Id also say put some barrels around, some grain sacks etc.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    myles wrote: »
    - Your going for an industrial age england feel right? Well the one thing that sells industrial England to me is smog, smoke stacks and generally stark shadows and darker colours. Your scene though is saying the opposite, you've got really bright skym grass and tree with what look like very unrealistic colours.

that would be urban.

This looks like its in some vast open space, I would throw in some background hills. get some atmospheric fog going in the bg and make the sky a bit greyer
    _49036409_jex_802587_de03-1.jpg

DSCN3900.JPG

soil wise it looks very sandy which isnt really very fitting, normally you would expect, cowshit and furrowed mud, lots of puddles and the odd stone.

Id also get some stone walls in there.
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

Thanks ever so much for the comments and cheers@ myles / r_fletch_r for your examples.
    I am currently re texturing the ground surfaces too as I agree they need to change and are too clean and dry looking. I am also debating whether to change the overall lighting and sky texture as an evening sun set could be interesting and help produce a more moody atmosphere.

Cheers and updates later
    Glynn
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ho,

just a quick post, I have been faffing about with a new texture scheme today regarding the ground so this is what I have come up with. I have got as you may be able to see three texture layers..Grass and Soil, I have blended this also with a trodden soil texture were applicable.

Hope this may be a..step.. in the right direction :)

Cheers
    Glynn

15n4p42.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Add a touch of color to the sun light What time of day is it?
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Man,

I would say about 2,oclock. What tint of colour would you recommened? I have given a slight tinge blue to the overall environment colour but not edited the lights at all.

Ta
  • tkkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Bearded Man,

I think r_fletch_r was right about the atmospherics of your scene. I would add some fog, rolling hills and even some hedges to your scene. Plus I think if you were to pull your light back and maybe lower. Also softening of the shadow edges, I think you'll get the look your going for. Right now your light is at about 10 am to 11 am. R_fletch_r's pics are great references for a early morning scene. I think you might as well ask yourself what kind of mood do you want. In my opinion everything else looks great.

The best suggestion I could give you is to take a pic of your current scene and play with it in Photoshop and see where your imagination takes you. :)
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

Well I have been tying to take on all your advice on board and this is what I have come up with so far.

I have decided to go for an evening sun set as It could prove to be interesting and fancied playing around and creating some moody lighting....this is what I have produced.

I have tried using the height fog actor but it I couldn't get the desired effect or the background, I think I need to just use Volume fog? just so I can place it in the background or where ever I want and not fog the entire scene. I also intend on breaking up the landscape with walls and hedges. I am currently using the UDK foliage until I produce my own.

Cheers for your help! :)
    Glynn

30ww38h.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Hello,

Just a small update and another screen grab. I have been doing a little tweaking with the lights and also the background and sky.

The most noticeable thing I am sure is the walls :)
    I am glad I have created some now as I do feel it gives the scene some sense of flow in terms of composition and helps block in the main focal point.

More work to be on with updates soon.

Cheers for your input
    Glynn

2m65tee.jpg
  • Design Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Design Runner polycounter lvl 6
    This scene is really getting there. I have been watching in the shadows. Right now it looks like there are only two things really wrong. First, there is grass coming out of the rock in front of the house. A simple fix. The next thing is the path in front of the house. Someone took all the time to renovate that path, and yet they decided to leave a giant steep slope going off to the right? Nothing too major, and easy fixes. Overall I must say I'm very impressed with this scene!
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking really good! It's really come a long way from the initial post. I've never used UDK before, but I know Source has a feature where you can make a miniature scene and then have it projected really huge around the outside of the map. I think it's called a 3D skybox? If UDK has a similar feature, it could be an easy way for you to make some rolling hills or a forest in the background. I'm looking forward to your own foliage, if you're planning on making some! The UDK stuff looks a little cartoonish to me.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good progress so far. Crits:

-The stone wall looks weird. The gaps between the rocks are pure black. Should probably work on that a bit. Also doesn't look like you used reference for the walls. From a glance, all the stonewalls I saw were horizontally stacked rocks, whereas yours seem to be a wall texture wrapped around the top of the wall.
    201108221747.png

-Some people don't like bloom, but I think this scene would benefit from it. Just go easy with it.

-The leaves on the trees look white at certain angles. Is that the species of tree you chose? It seems like the leaves have a pure white spec map applied to them or something. At any rate, I didn't see any white leaves when I googled "English Countryside" so you might want to change the leaves.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Nice scene.

Can you show a breakdown/closeup of your trees and branches/leaves.

Thanks.
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    thanks or your input.

Cheers @Design Runner / DietCoke and thanks for your support reference SgtNasty. I intend to put some more love and care into creating some modular wall sets e.g broken, complete and end pieces. I am unsure as to what would be breaking the general poly count budget as I thought about modelling the wall with slanted bricks on the top individually, might that be the best way around creating the wall?

As for the trees and foliage I am aware that the assets ain't exactly fitting in with scene now however there just been placed at the moment to block out the environment, to get a general feel before I create my own assets :)
    I am interested in maybe creating bloom lighting, does anyone know of any good tutorials or is it fairly simple to do?

Many thanks!
    Glynn
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

here again. having abit of a problem and hoping somebody can help out. Below is the basic wall I currently have along with a reference picture of what I aim to replicate. Does anyone have any advice on what's the best way around achieving this result.

334 Tris

eg7s6r.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message