• Serygala
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Old work/No longer relevant
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    only speaking about the art i would say that the wear and tear is way too generic.
    also you need to focus a lot more on shaders, everything is looking like a generic blinn shader.
    also a little boxy all in all.

reminds me of half life :)
  • Design Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Design Runner polycounter lvl 6
    also a little boxy all in all
    This game is created in fpsc. This means everything must be rather low poly.

I posted some crits for you on your TGC thread. :)
  • Serygala
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    only speaking about the art i would say that the wear and tear is way too generic.
    Generic? You mean unfitting?
    also you need to focus a lot more on shaders, everything is looking like a generic blinn shader.
    :D This engine can not handle shadereffects or fancy materials like the UDK. I can not go much further with the shaders than I already am. (and you noted correctly, most objects are not shaded to keep a constant framerate)
    remind me of half life

Well at least one good thing :D

Thanks for the insight!
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrolling down the images there's a set of words that comes to mind, and they're not flattering:
    brown, brown, grey, "realism", brown, grey, and more brown. :-\
    The basic idea was a postapocalyptic city that is rotting in the desert for decades. [...] It also uses a slight sepia fullscreenshader with filmgrain.
    Aha, thats why.

Also bold part: desert ruins don't rot. the dry air actually keeps things intact as organic decomposition processes are slowed down. Deserts are also good places to store aircraft as they won't rust, fairly stable thermal cycle, etc. If anything the environment should be mould, decay, and rot-free, but with a surplus of sand in corners, in equipment, in clothes, guns, lockers, pipes, in short: everywhere.

My first suggestion? more colour/saturation. Basic albedo texture colour here.

Similarly, any desert ruin has to have sand, Yet, i see non of that. Also, you have this lovely colourfull skybox, but i don't see any natural light in the images. the orange-yellow skylight would be something you could easily use as a tool to help guide players to areas of interest, alongside using the green lights and coloured posters, etc.

the rest looks relatively decent though, but fix the sand/desert issue. :(
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Good start :) I like it, be careful with the grime and dirt though, it's starting to look really noisy in certain areas. Like the pipe-area, it's easy to see where you're going but it looks really noisy and quite uninteresting, reminds me of the technical budgets of like Half-Life, where they had to re-use the same textures for a whole section.
  • Serygala
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Thanks for the replies!

re.wind
    brown, brown, grey, brown, grey, and more brown. :-\

That's intended (it has some green and slight blue lightmapping aswell, btw).
    I know some people may not like that but I really aim to make everything look old, washed out and "radioactive" :) The first idea was to make the entire game in sepiacolors only... but I figured I would have lost a lot of players that way.
    Also bold part: desert ruins don't rot. the dry air actually keeps things intact as organic decomposition processes are slowed down. Deserts are also good places to store aircraft as they won't rust, fairly stable thermal cycle, etc. If anything the environment should be mould, decay, and rot-free, but with a surplus of sand in corners, in equipment, in clothes, guns, lockers, pipes, in short: everywhere.

But wouldn't the engine and the machinery of the plane get filled with sand?
    Adding some more sand and mud is actually a great idea. I could easily drown a room in sandheaps without elevating the polycount much more. Thats really a nice idea. Thank you!

However, the desert, is not an actual desert but a nuclear wasteland on another planet.
    The city itself is named "New Brûghes" because it has a lot of waterducts (is that the right word? :S) and bridges. So it could rot. And to be honest... the whole visuals are building up on rust and decay. If I replace it, I would have to redo the entire scenery and I don't have the time for such a large task. I do however add sand.
    Also, you have this lovely colourfull skybox, but i don't see any natural light in the images.
    You can see a bit in the first and the 6th last screenshot. But still, most areas are in tunnels or closed buildings. -> The engine can not handle any decent outdoor levels.
    the rest looks relatively decent though, but fix the sand/desert issue.

Thank you! I see what I can do.
    it's starting to look really noisy in certain areas.

Noisy like moviegrain? (thats intended) or what do you mean. I have to admit, I'm no native english speaker and noisy means "loud" to me. While we are add it, in this thread
    you can see my first models (they are pure trash compared to what I see on these forums o.O). However, I got directed to this board by a member here and he stated my textures to be "hard to read". I have no idea what that's about? I don't have any text on them :P So yeah, nobody replied yet and I would really like to know what I could do better :D

Okay, enough offtopic:
    really noisy and quite uninteresting, reminds me of the technical budgets of like Half-Life, where they had to re-use the same textures for a whole section.

Uninteresting? Thats bad =/ ... and I do have a lot of textures. The original half life engine however is still better than that thing I'm using :P

What would you suggest to make it more interesting? :)

I make a list of everything people point out and fix the issues as soon as the rough layout of all levels is done. Thanks for reading

-Adrien
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Why are you using an old engine that doesn't render or run very well? There's a lot of free engines out there that would instantly make your game look better.
  • Serygala
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh well...multiple reasons to be honest.

1. I'm used to it :D Learning to work in a new engine would cost a lot of time
    2. I can work far faster than in any other engine. I work mostly alone and have a few friends that help me out here and there...but still, most of it is done by me. So making an entire game in UDK all alone is a bit much.
    3. As mentioned before: I make a whole game. It has collision, materials with different sounds, enemie AI, gameplay etc. etc. Coding /scripting all this on my own in another engine would take me an entire year, while I plan to make the whole game within 4 - 5 months.
    4. I like the programs community and I like to help the newbies and provide some media that shows them, that even in such an inferior engine, somewhat cool visuals are possible :)

Thats about it :)
  • Serygala
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doublepost...sorry!

I just wanted to drop by since I received some useful critics last time.
    These are some newer level bits.

Large images ahead!!

hr3v-3m-ec5d.png
    hr3v-3l-0690.png
    hr3v-3g-4c56.png
    NOT seeing a flag on a character one even retextured is...well, lets say: I already removed the american flag on the soldiers. Nevermind these...
    hr3v-3k-3def.png

Its a blob of darkmatter in a magnetic ray that produces energie...the physics geeks will probably kill me for that as it is BS to the max.... but I think it looks pretty cool and I name it something other in the games story line.

So yeah... critics and additional ideas? fire away :)

-Serygala
  • Serygala
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No posts at all?

Is it because I use such a simple tool or whats wrong?

I'm currently polishing everything and I redo a lot of parts and some more ideas from the pro's around here certainly wouldn't hurt.

...or is it THAT bad?