Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mercenary

Whatsup everyone my name is Daniel Briggs. I quickly made this high poly model on my spare time. I plan on making this into a bad ass lowpoly game model. The first half of the image is a concept from Blizzard Entertainment that I thought would be fun to create. The right half is my high poly from zbrush. This is an older iteration the newest high poly has more similar proportions to the concept. I will update this thread with any major additions.

-Dbriggs

www.3dbriggs.com

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    need to stick with the concept a bit closer, your guy looks more short/stout then the concept, heads stockier too, also look imagine the character without armor and you'll see the differences..

ahh.. nm i see you said your proportions are off.. pauldrons too big, head size, chest too low too little, etc...
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique Jeremy. Yes my newest iteration I made the head larger and the helmet slightly bigger. I also shortened up the pointy part of his belt. Good eye on the pauldrons I definitely agree. When you say the chest should be bigger do you mean his pectoral plates? I think the brown part of his belt could be thicker as well. The face hasn't even been touched yet. I will make some more changes and post a newer iteration soon!
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    What's the deal with the concave area of the thigh piece? It doesn't seem like it would be all that comfortable, and strays from the concept. Not like that is inherently a bad thing, but it doesn't really seam to fit with the rest of it.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    deff following along on this one, looks good - wont bother looking into adding any crits until the next update, enough as already been said so ill wait for round two : )
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    darbeenbo wrote: »
    What's the deal with the concave area of the thigh piece? It doesn't seem like it would be all that comfortable, and strays from the concept. Not like that is inherently a bad thing, but it doesn't really seam to fit with the rest of it.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that's just a shadow from his hand.
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darbeenbo: It is cylindrical around his leg. Marshal is right that is just a shadow from the hand. I will render more views later!

CandyStripes05: Sounds good!

Marshal Banana: Yes you are correct. You will see it better when I post more images!

Thank you everyone for your critiques

-DBriggs

www.3dbriggs.com
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great so far. On the thigh armor, I interpret those as overlapping plates instead of interlocking plates that form a flat surface. Some overlap would add more visual interest to that area anyway. :)

There are a few places, mostly corners and edges, where I would try to add more shape details. There are a few parts on your model where it looks too straight and lacking the character found in the concept. Hard to explain, but I hope you see what I mean.

Anyway, minor stuff. This should be awesome when it's done.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai wrote: »
    On the thigh armor.......Some overlap would add more visual interest to that area anyway.

i completely agree, and it might tie in better with the upper armor especially on the arms
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaping more detail. here is a quick update.

Planning on finishing the high poly tonight. Then I will start on the retopo.

-DBriggs

www.3dbriggs.com
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -your armor pieces (shoulder plates, face guard) have more of a round tip vs your other armor pieces as well as the concept - maybe posting a different angle can help out : )

-don't mirror the folds on the arm cloth

-and the feet need some lovin' detail wise, they look neglected

....other then that, it seems pretty bad ass
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think if this were mine I would leave the arm folds as is. If anything, he could just mirror that arm in the UV's to save on some texture space. As the mesh deforms 'in-game', people would be extremely hard pressed to ever notice that the wrinkles are exactly the same on both sides...

It's totally the artist's call... from a resources point of view, I'd mirror it. I'd rather have more texture space available for more important pieces rather than two arm sleeves that are *slightly* different...
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05: That is because of the angle of the render. You will see this better later on. I am going to keep the arms mirrored to save UV space. It is not very noticeable unless you are looking at him from a direct front view.

I will shape up the feet a bit more as well. The final model is going to be pretty low poly so it is all about proportions and shape right now. I plan on hand painting all the detail you can see in the concept. Thanks for the feedback!

Jon Rush: Yes I plan on mirroring the UV's for the cloth folds. Everything is going to be mirrored except for the center armor plates, the face, and the cloth. This will give him some assymetry but it will still save a lot of texture space.

-DBriggs

www.3dbriggs.com
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been slacking a bit this week. Here is the final high poly. I will try and update this more frequently.

-DBriggs

www.3dbriggs.com

Merc22.jpg
    concept on left was created by Blizzard

www.3dbriggs.com
  • achillesian
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Can you show me the basemesh/wireframe of the shoulder piece?
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was the final high poly model
    CloseUp01-1.jpg

test02.jpg

Max Viewport - Realtime shader with normals
    Wire02.jpg

Wire01.jpg

Back_Wire.jpg

Hand Painted Textures coming soon!

-DBriggs

www.3dbriggs.com
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Damn this looks good. My only crit is that it looks a little wide in the body. Rather than looking bulky it looks like the image is stretched sideways. Looking forward to seeing this guy all textured up.