Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Organic Environment

Hey all.

Recently I handed my portfolio over to some great industry artists and a gaming event and had them crit it. I recieved some great crits, the strongest of which being, I need more environments!

The lead artist told me he liked my most recent environment (world war 2 scene) but that I need ideally to include one Sci-fi scene, and one Organic scene.

And so it begins, I must sally forth and achieve these goals but I thought for the first time, I would keep my project diary here on these amazing forums that I spend most of my freetime lurking on! (my lunchbreaks at work pretty much break down to - 10 minutes eating a sandwich, 10 minutes checking e-mail - 40 minutes trawling Polycount oooing and aaa-ing at everyones work.)

As I just mentioned, I do have a job, and a girlfriend that now sadly needs to commute every weekend to see me as I had to move away after uni, so time is scarce! I only really have a few hours every night, but please bear with me.

I'll start on the organic scene, as I've always wanted to nail foliage in UDK. I'm liking the idea of tree-houses etc. Or houses IN trees. What are your thoughts? Any ideas sticking out?

I'm going to concept some stuff hopefully over this weekend, but here's something I quickly knocked up here at work! I'm quite keen on dipping my toes into stylization and Wow-esque hand painting on this project, as all my work to date has been realism based.

Here's my portfolio btw: http://www.guythomas3d.daportfolio.com

OOooo... just had a thought before I hit submit... Sri-Lankan treehouse people! note to self: must research these indigenous people before posting my next update.

Replies

• Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
    Look forward to seeing what you create. I know you're not looking for website crits but why don't you make the homepage default to 3D environments, people know how to use tabs in this business
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't ask for website crits but that doesn't mean they aren't welcome! I'll see to it when I get some time by my computer at home! Thanks!
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, had about 10 minutes while my girlfriend was in the shower to quickly sketch up some ideas. However, she caught me in the act, but thankfully she has an amazing imagination and gave me the idea of having loads of small tree-houses surrounding one massive tree with space carved into it that is a main social area for the villagers.

Here's a quick sketch I've done, any other ideas would be amazing. Tomorrow, or perhaps this evening I will probably begin work on the main focal point, or do you think it would be better to build the smaller tree-houses first?