Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Meadow House.

Replies

• feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    You know you have to export the trees as FBXs and check the "explicit normals" box when importing to import a model with explicit normals, right?

Also, a few tips on foliage:

1) Avoid leaves that touch each other. It starts to give you flat sheets of leaves and makes your leaf cards much more obvious. Leaving gaps will give you a better 3D appearance:

WMML4.png

2) You can use a normal sphere and a colour picker to vary the lighting on the leaves to break up your the lighting on your leaf planes even more:

hP3jB.png

Just paint rough splotches of colour where your leaves are. Try not to paint adjacent leaves with the same normal values.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Agreed on the leaves, they need more negative space around them.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    The leaves on trees are still too big imo.I suspect that you're using an alpha plane per leaf.I'd make them more chunky by adding a bunch of leaves on a single alpha.

Looks very cool overally,keep it up.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    snap diggity! Ok, looks like I will be complete re-doing my tree leaves tonight =D

@ Guy123 and feanix: Thanks guys! Super helpful, especially when I try and fix the trees.

and @igi, You are close, I have three leaves per plane, but I may re-do the leaf texture and add more leaves onto it as per the awesome suggestions I've gotten.

Again, thanks for the comments and crits everyone.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    either the house is too small or the grass is too big. either way, ur scale is a little wierd.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    It needs more sexy bikini models...but that may just be me
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Whoa whoa step back!

I don't intend to derail this thread. But I have to ask feanix to explain a bit further his sample colors on a normal sphere to manually paint the normal maps on each leaf Technique!

What does this achieve?

Please elaborate for this new artist.

Cheers

Great work btw.

and +1 for more bikini models
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    synergy11 wrote: »
    Whoa whoa step back!

I don't intend to derail this thread. But I have to ask feanix to explain a bit further his sample colors on a normal sphere to manually paint the normal maps on each leaf Technique!

What does this achieve?

Please elaborate for this new artist.

Basically a normal map affects the direction of the lighting, because leaves all face different directions, a easy way to realistically break up the lighting is to change the normal of each leave by individually. Its a quick and dirty, but efficient, solution.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    feanix wrote: »
    You know you have to export the trees as FBXs and check the "explicit normals" box when importing to import a model with explicit normals, right?

FFUUUUUUU. Dangit. Thanks! Re-imported the trees correctly and I think they light much nicer! Yet to do anything else to the tree model since they light a bit better now with normal thief working correctly on the mesh.

So I also Added a little more flowers, and a little well. haha >_<

OH, and I swapped to the July BETA, and the new Post-Process Anti-aliasing is very nice. Here is an image I threw together of the trees in similar angles and you can see the difference in the lighting with the new vert normals, and the anti-aliasing in the foliage as well. YAY technology! :)

TTFN! :poly142:

WIP25.jpg

WIP28.jpg

WIP26.jpg

WIP27.jpg

***oh snap, I found out how to upload larger file sizes on Photobucket. Cool.
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye you can definitely notice a difference! Looks good!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Great update. I think adding another 'style' of grass. Maybe a taller more yellowish, can help get rid of some of the repetition that is happenning at the moment. Regardless, good progress, will keep watching.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    You mentioned you were going to redo the leaves, but your scale on everything else is not right. Make the house and well much bigger. Those flowers are bigger than a person's head.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Looking pimp, Southpaw! Keep it up!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Snight wrote: »
    You mentioned you were going to redo the leaves, but your scale on everything else is not right. Make the house and well much bigger. Those flowers are bigger than a person's head.

Yeah the scale could use some work... but...

EXJcm.jpg