Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Pirate

Hello I made low poly pirate model and then I handpainted it.

textures are 2048x2048 but i wll set it on 1024x1024 maybe 512x512

Right now Im thinking for the brows... Because if I make some blendshapes like blinking with eyes it will moves also this brown eyepatch line... Probably would be better If i modeled it.

polycount: Tris: 11944
Faces: 5998

Lights: No lights

Any critics, suggestions are very welcome!

cheers!

ddfa1i.jpg

2dhzgnd.jpg

2dc8tq9.jpg

anms29.jpg

2944civ.jpg

2clyko.jpg

Replies

• Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 polycounter lvl 12
    I'm no character artist but 12000 tris for this shape is definitely too much. Wherever there's a form that doesn't bend you can think about collapsing the edgeloops there (except if it supports a certain silhouette). I think you could get a similar result in form and style with half the amount of tris.
    For the hand have a look at Ben Mathis' example for topology of hands.
    I think you don't need as much tris in the face as few of them serve the function of maintaining the silhouette. You definitely don't need to model out his ears (or rather as much as you have now) or his earring because nobody is ever going to notice those.

I noticed that you currently are only using quads. This limits your topology and absolutely multiplies your tri count. Since this is the game mesh it's going to be triangulated in the engine anyway so using triangles here is absolutely okay (if not necessary).

Remember to delete faces that are hidden by others (for example those under the hat) except if you plan him to lose his hat at some point.

I think your textures would benefit a bit from tightening up. The creases in the trousers or the jacket seem a bit blurry. A 512x512 texture is the maximum resolution for this kind of stylized character and textures.

Apart from that: Cool Character, I immediately tought of him being in a DS mobile or a DS game.
  • winternights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister, thank you for the suggestions, may I ask you approximately how much tris should I have here?
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    In my opinion for the amount of details you have in your character you could aim for that:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1104569&postcount=4055

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1105546&postcount=4071

Of course, depending of your objective you don´t need to be so extreme.

If you need some number I would say: 2000 tris 512x512 texture :)

About your texture: You have actually your UV space divided in 4 areas, one of them has "THE PIRATE" on that. It gonna waste memory.
    Try to use all your texture space. :\

12000 tris and 2048 textures are fine for that:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84763
  • winternights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien, thank you! actually I have separeted those 3 uv maps on 3 different shaders, I just photoshoped uv maps with pirate name for reference...
    But I will try to reduce tris as much as I can and of course 512x512:) thank you again!
  • winternights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok I made some fixes. I toned down a bit color, a bit better visible shadows, fixed eyes and added some details also doubled down tris. So for now I have 6020 tris, I know still a lot, but this is for now.

Also I have one question, do you have any idea how to soften a bit more nose, because with normal soften edge in maya it doesnt fix a lot.

some screenshoots:

edit: thank you guys for c&c

10fc1on.png
    2imaqhl.png
    2d1k0ow.png
    2nqsbyg.png
    zof4hs.png
  • Jbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    good working so far, kinda hard to read the topology in the last pics as it seems you have somekind of see through wire mode, either that or you should focus on cleaning up even further. It's hard to read the topology of the blade but it's looks like you can get rid of some edges there too.

As for the texture, by the look of it I'd say your going for a cartoon feel, I would suggest to get more depth in the texture by adding more highlights and shaded parts. By doing so you could easily define is beard even further and get some nice wrinkles on is clothing and also add even more highs and lows to the skin. These are just my thoughts..

you're improving this model step by step, keep at and best of luck !
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    It looks like you have different Smooth groups on his nose. :)
    Considering it would be a game character, you can use the same texture in different shaders. (or even any 3d software accept that)
    As exercise you could try 3000 tris. (be strong... :))
  • winternights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much Jnird and fabio brasilien! you right Jbird it was a bit too blury to see wire topology, sorry it was maya camera wrong number set...
    you right Jnird I try to be close on cartoony style but still detail enough.
    (uff I already have too much cartoony style models hehe ok last one is this, ok maybe a little ship later:))

fabio for a smooth groups It solve the problem, if I assign new shader on a nose with the same texture?

Ok I made some changes, I lowered nuber to 5094 tris... hehe well I will try more but I will have problem because I already uv maped model and uv map is a bit too picky if I continue delete edges, but will still try to experiment....

Anyway I added some addition colors on whole jacket and pants,(with a help of great tool adobe kuler, http://kuler.adobe.com/ if you guys try it Im sure you will like it, but you probably already know it) ok on a topic:)

also I added some addtional tones on skin hope it is visible enough, fixed color on a beard and eye brown and added some details on the pirate cap...

well this is it for now:)

1ze8ldx.png
    2bv8qw.png
    30a48xc.png
  • winternights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello, made little update, fixed all shadows...
    and I have still nose problem because it is too sharp although I used normal-soft edge...

edit: I tryed to assign different shader on the nose but I still have this issue...
    thank you

settings: polysoft edge Angle: 40

kdn5gz.png
    2dt13co.png
  • winternights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok I think I finish this caharacter and now thinking how to render in marmoset engine... Anyway I lower down all textures on 512x512 and I got a bit blurry skull sticker on the cap.... Thinking to model it but I dont know, well what do you think?

ouyyzb.jpg
  • winternights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok I rendered it in Marmoset render and this is it what I got.

2rpr8e1.jpg