Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Andr

Dear Community!

I have just updated my reel for my website, and I would like to receive criticism on a few things! So anyone kind enough to step up will receive my appreciation (whatever that may be worth, haha.)

I am going to share a brief background on myself below so if you’re uninterested in my life and want to head on to see my work, just scroll down until you find the link to my website!

Short Biography :D

I’m a young Swedish individual, though I find myself to feel sort of old already (at which most people laugh at me for saying.) The other day the younger brother of a good friend of mine looked at me with a confused countenance as I exclaimed “VHS”. I used to record movies (actually, my father would do it for me because I was a “n00b” with TV-tech) and watch them over and over again just to see the special effects within movies!

I never realized that people actually earned money working on movie/game productions. I’m one of those “typical” kids who used to draw on the corners of my school assignments and what-not. Playing computer games was (and still is) a great passion of mine and my computer was stationed under a staircase, so you can imagine how nerdy that must have looked. But it didn’t matter, because that’s when I found out what I wanted to do. I wanted to become a 3d artist. Well, I think it sort of dawned on me as I started working with 3ds max for a while in April 2008, actually. 3d art became what I wanted to work with for a living. I’d been more of a traditional art oriented guy previously since I hadn’t really been confronted with a 3d application up until that point. Drawing with a mouse in Photoshop (2d) wasn’t really an option for me as I found it easier to produce things with a simple pencil. 3d art was different, though.

I still lived at home in 2008 (15 years of age, I’m 18 now), and I’d go home from my 2d oriented graphical communication high school as fast as I could every other day so that I could get more time to work with my new passion. I’ve always been more of a hands-on person, so I didn’t read the manual or look up methods to do specific things, on the internet (or books.) I just tried things at "random" (at least, that’s what I can recall.) I think it has helped me in the long run as I can wrap my head around new applications pretty quickly. At least that’s how I made my boat float. I read up pretty much nowadays.

I started working on several modding projects (2008 ) and later on I knocked out work for indie projects (2009-2011). Now I’m about to release my first title! Most of my work has been environment oriented, though I very much enjoy doing any type of 3d work and haven’t found my greatest niche yet, though I have started to adore cinematic art. Last year I got accepted at a highly acclaimed 3d art school in Stockholm, Sweden (Digital Graphics), and I’ve got half a year left by which time I hope I will have caught an internship position somewhere in the world (half-year internship.) I’ve never worked at an office before and I’m excited to see what the future may hold!

I hope you enjoy my work!

I need to know if I should include wireframe shots and texture sheets. I have a lot of content and I want to keep my time-budget down to 2½ minutes. I am proud of all the work within my reel, so it’s hard for me to sacrifice time on different segments in exchange for specifics on individual segments. Any criticism is highly appreciated.

Here is a link to my official website:

http://www.andre-bostrom.com

If you want to view a higher resolution version of my reel, you can follow this link:

http://vimeo.com/26493164

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate my website.

- André

Replies

• Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    I don't think I've seen a better reel yet - it's that awesome!

Also, I'm a noob when it comes to what things to put in your portfolio so just wait for a reply from an industry vet. But I would definitely say that you do need to include wireframe shots and texture sheets (normal maps, AO, etc.)

I'm sure you have a great future ahead of you! Such a skilled person should never be wasted. Good luck mate! :):thumbup:
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    MartinH would like to see stills, not just the reel. Scrubbing through it to look at different assets made him rage a bit. Also there's no textures to look at or wires of any of your models. So less reel, more still images on your website.

MartinH then proceeded to check out your about tab. Who writes about themselves in 3rd person? When MartinH read it, he thought it felt a bit pretentious and frowned a bit.

Cool work so far though! Some changes to your website and you're good to go!
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Great reel.

One big thing is that I'm still not exactly sure what you're official "title" would be.

I almost thought you were a visual effects/technical artist before I finished the video and re-read your post. I would make try and make that clearer. Whether you're an environment artist, character artist, 3D artist/generalist, etc.

I'm not sure you should add wireframe and texture shots, as your reel is already a good length. You could probably do it for a few of the more impressive stand-alone pieces, but I personally don't think it's necessary.

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, but others will fill you in.

Good luck!

-m
  • Andr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold - Thanks a lot!!

MartinH
    - "MartinH would like to see stills, not just the reel. Scrubbing through it to look at different assets made him rage a bit. Also there's no textures to look at or wires of any of your models. So less reel, more still images on your website."

I will look into it. This was what I was wondering though so I appreciate the feedback!

"MartinH then proceeded to check out your about tab. Who writes about themselves in 3rd person? When MartinH read it, he thought it felt a bit pretentious and frowned a bit."

That's just my personal preference. It is a form of marketing piece and business correspondence. I don't believe a recruiter or future employer wants to read a piece of text full of "I did this and I did that..." Furthermore, I find writing these things in the first person often leads to it becoming too verbose. It's quite common, by the way.

Thank you :) !

Mcejn
    - Hey, I'm glad you like it! As you mentioned about my title, I don't know what to call myself either to be honest. Environment artist would probably fit my vest the best. But I've done a lot of diverse things so I guess that sort of places me in the generalist section?

I'm definitely going to look into some wires and textures.

I appreciate all of the feedback, as usual the community is proving to be really helpful!

- Andr