Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bits and Pieces :)

Hi everybody, I'm brand new to Polycount, so please be nice :)

I've just finished my first year studying 3D Games Art at the University of Hertfordshire, and I wanted to start to branch out and get feedback from a wider range of people, so here I am. I'm currently working on a short game cinematic, hopefully to be made in CryEngine 3, entitled "The Screaming Eagles". It's set in WW2, but will hopefully be much closer in tone to Brothers In Arms than Call of Duty so please don't flame :)

Hopefully I can continue to update this thread with each new asset I create, and get some good feedback; although there might be quite a bit of Wold War 2 stuff in here, but for the reason stated above :)

Anyhow, here's some assets I have to hand for your consideration. The M1 Garand is a bit too expensive poly wise, for what it is, and I want to play with the specular and beef up the undercarriage a bit on the truck. That aside, what do you guys think?

M1A1 Thompson, 1,900 polys, 2048 x 2048 Diffuse/Normal/Spec:

f9e728.jpg

M1 Garand, 2048 x 2048 Diffuse/Normal/Spec

2zdp07q.jpg

GMC CCKW, 2048 x 2048 Diff/Normal/Spec (funky windows as I couldnt figure out marmoset alpha; gonna be set up with its own material in CE3 anyway)

2vrydmb.jpg

Not really Games Art, but I thought I'd post it anyway:

s1qmwz.jpg

Anyway, let me know what you think and where to improve :)

Replies

• TheScreamingEagles
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    I gotta say, I really like your stuff, especially the M1, I made one of those as my first models ever, thinking it would be easy, had a hell of a time! So it's kind of nostalgic and I dig your texture :) I think on your thompson you went a little too crazy with the scratches, it definitely looks like you just traced all your edges with a scratch brush. The metal texture looks good, but I think the wood looks like you crazy bumped the wood into oblivion. The wood should be smoother overall, with patches of damage.

The truck looks like it would fit perfectly into call of duty in my opinion, so nice job there!

And the car also looks great. Personally I find the HDR environment boring. The reflections on the car are nice, but the background isn't very fitting. I'd prefer an old neighbor hood, or a dusty road or something. Just a nit pick though.

There's my two cents, really nice work man :)
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Thanks for the crits! The Thompson and car were earlier pieces of work, the Garand and truck are more recent. It is true about the Garand though; its deceptively simple, but that receiver has some really weird shapes that can be a pain to try and get into a nice piece of geometry. Oddly enough it was my first ever model too, but I'm certainly much happier with this Mark 2 version compared to the original one from back in the day :)
  • TheScreamingEagles
    A little piece I made recently, couple of days work. I wanted to practice smart mirroring to try and get decent fidelity out of smaller texture sizes, so I made this with the loose idea that it might be a watch, facing inwards on an FPS character's arm. I tried to make it detailed enough that it could come close to camera and still look decent; let me know what you guys think :)

2zdn9km.jpg
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Evening all.

Knocked up a simple prop today, a road sign.

I was reading through the CryEngine 3 documentation, and came across a section on texturing techniques. They recommend that you avoid the use of normal maps wherever possible on minor props, and try and fake some depth using the far cheaper diffuse and specular maps; I've tried to do that on this piece as much as possible. I've also included the original 1024 maps, but they have been downsized to 256 on the final prop. Anyways, let me know what you guys think :)

15x6f14.jpg

2l80ea.jpg

1tuhoi.jpg