Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Generic male

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
ripped this out of my anatomy thread because I've turned it into an actual game character.

3.1k tris :)

sculpt.png

modeln.png

Basic diffuse with inverted hue specular

really hope I didnt blatantly screw up anything anatomical :s

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is no one posting because I forgot the penis?
  • KyleH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good sculpt, I would like to see what you plan on doing with this model.

Your biceps seem a bit large for this character

You have some sharpness where the bottom head of your quad meets the knee in your low poly.

as well as some sharpness around the groin region, I suggest adding a penis to fix this problem.

keep up the good work.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I don't ever plan on having the knees or the groin visible in what this will be used for so they were mostly just meant to be formed there.

The biceps arent truly biceps, I defined them well in the sculpt to make sure they would show up in the bake, its just an outstretched bicep+arm flesh(?).
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    he's missing both a penis and a neck man.

The neck is a bit short I think ;)
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    ^ agree with the lack of neck
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arms do look like they are a bit too long, but i cant say for sure unless i see a frontal view. And the poor thing is missing toes D:
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    his belly button looks like a gaping abyss out of which there can be no escape...
  • StrongRum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrongRum polycounter lvl 6
    Looking cool but the arms do look a tad too long.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    I don't think his arms are too long, but his head seems a bit small to me, which could make the arms seem disproportionate by comparison.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont see how the head or arms could be too long/too small. I always have used a basemesh thats proportionate, but it may be off.

Heres a front and side view, I messed with the neck a little. Personally I think I need to work on the neck and give his arms more form, they look like tubes.

masa.png
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    so it's about 5-6 heads tall. make it about 8.
    the legs are short which makes your arms look long. I think it's the quads, make those a bit longer.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    so it's about 5-6 heads tall. make it about 8.
    Yeah, go with 8 if you're making a superhero. I think the current height is fine though depending on what you're doing.
    7 heads would probably be an ideal person, around 6 (this guy seems to be about 6 or 6 1/2) would be about normal maybe a little short. Nothing wrong with that.

The arms are definitely long. if you cut off the arms and rotate them at the shoulder the fingers touch about the top of the knee. Really, the fingers should only reach to about halfway down your thigh. Stand up and see where it lands on yourself.

Neck needs to be longer. Some proportions in general seem a bit strange, like his upper body seems really toned compared to the rest (In particular those superhero traps) yet his shoulders actually seem kinda narrow, at least compared to the ideal, what what you normally see on someone that toned. But then there are many parts of the body that lack that same definition and make me think you're aiming for a more average-joe looking guy. Somebody who works out but isn't super toned.

Question: did you make the base mesh in question? I wouldn't rely on your base-mesh too much. In the end your final result shouldn't resemble the base mesh you use too much - it's just a base after all. If you made the base mesh yourself - proportions need some work. if you're just relying on the proportions of someone else's basemesh.. well, remember, no one is infallible. And you really owe it to yourself to make your own, and really make an attempt to learn proper proportions instead of just relying on someone else's work.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips, going to work on the sculpt and rebake everything

No this is my basemesh but ive matched it up to so many proportion charts I didnt see how it could be off
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright heres a good bit of anatomy and proportion changes, I also realized the trick to shoulders is actually in the forearms :).

Quality of the calves is horrible, noticed it while taking the shots, im also thinking the shoulders are too wide for the hips?

sofarc.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    This is a good start. I could critique the face if you posted a closeup. If you're going to put clothing on top of most of this, then it doesn't need much work, but I've outlined some areas that look a little strange to me.

frellanatomy.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    ^ props on the helping effort
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, will make changes!