Sayanora
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
http://dougkavanagh.blogspot.com/

*Updated on July 15th*

Just a set piece I made

StreetLight_Model_Scrns_00.jpg

Just added shots from the last level I worked on for Thor, along with some textures I created.

Rui_Asg_00.jpg
Hey everyone, just wanted to share my new portfolio and get some feedback on the design. Although, at this point, I'm fairly content with the layout, but feel free to comment anyway! All of the work was done while I was at Red Fly Studio and cannot be altered at this point. I'll be adding some more later, including texture samples and work from Force Unleashed II.

If you're an employer who's interested in my services, you can reach me here

Contact Me

Replies

• Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    You should never set up a portfolio site on a blogging website using a blog template. It just screams "not professional" to me. Other than that, your art is pretty good. I think you need to have shots of just the assets you created showing them off as well because when they are in an environment with everything else they all just blend together. You should show textures you created as well.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I disagree, I've seen some very nice portfolios using blogs and to tell you the truth, if he removed the Blogger banner I would be none the wiser.

I also think the work is great!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Habboi wrote: »
    I disagree, I've seen some very nice portfolios using blogs and to tell you the truth, if he removed the Blogger banner I would be none the wiser.

I also think the work is great!

I think a blog is great to show WIP stuff, but showing off finished pieces of art to an employer I would definatly use a simple site with an easier layout.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think blog format is fine even with the header but I'd suggest you not put your images in the 2x2 grid you have going because having to scroll around a huge ass image to see all the pictures sucks. Just upload them individually imo.

As long as your work is well presented I doubt anyone is going to care if it says blogspot.com.
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses so far guys, keep em coming!

Striff: I'm not too worried about using blogger as my folio, plenty of pros do it. Not sure what gave you the impression that it's frowned upon :) All I'm concerned with is whether my art is easy to get to (it is) and is it presented well.

Habboi: Thanks! I also agree with blogs being acceptable for your portfolio.

Bibendum: I bounced back and forth on using single images or 2x2 format and originally had a long column of singles. You bring up a valid point about having to pan around in the full screen images, but conversely, with a single image format, you'd have to click 4 times as many screens individually to see the same amount of work. I'd like to hear some feedback on that..might return to the old format, but ultimately the 2x2 arrangement seems to be keeping things more concise. I also arranged them in a particularly pleasing way (to me).

What do you think?
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated at top again. Any feedback would be appreciated :)
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like the layout doesn't feel too blogish as some of the blogspot ones can tend to, nice name BTW
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    great works..i just think if the pictures are bigger it would be better?..i use blog just for my school stuff it seems you cant get the pictures to get bigger without paying..