Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Timmy with a G

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Timmywithag triangle
Always open to criticism and thanks for viewing.

bird_by_timmywithag-d3lknfm.png first think i really made in sculptris

some_thing_by_timmywithag-d3lknml.png
I just play around in Sculptris and I guess I'm getting better this was after the bird

fairy_front_by_timmywithag-d3apo1l.png
concept i did for a model i was trying to do the model wasn't realized.

pudding_skull_by_timmywithag-d3faa55.png
photo of myself that I have photoshoped to look crazy as you see. It makes me wonder if i use photo editing as a crutch. so I'm trying to draw more.

finished_mask_concept_by_timmywithag-d34c9og.jpg
Done a year or so ago It was my first concept

sketch_by_timmywithag-d3lkocw.png
this is after I got my tablet and I have started to try sketching more. Looks like I used liquefy a lot :P

Replies

• Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    monkey_by_timmywithag-d3lndqp.png

I tried to draw a monkey from killing floor. he has a chainsaw. I tried to block it out or use a large brush but im having a hard time with proportions.

I tried liquefy which is a tool I'm more comfortable with but it didn't seem to help. any advice for proportions and blocking out a piece?
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    I drew this the the night i drew that monkey. I had to force myself to do it. I dont know why i wish I could just draw forever.

lacy_by_timmywithag-d3lr79i.png
  • Timmywithag
  • Timmywithag
  • Tyler_Fozdar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In reference to your Killing Floor monkey, you're correct that the proportions need work. At the stage you were at when you posted it, it's a passable rough. If you're interested in working on it again, my advice would be to break down the model into more basic shapes. It seems like you're getting too bogged down in the finer details without first blocking out the body structure. Don't get discouraged, though. The more practice you put in, the better you'll get! :) Good luck.
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    face_study_by_timmywithag-d45hxpv.png

working on being more confident with my strokes and still trying to get the proportions down
  • Timmywithag
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    I feel like I am just too anxious to show my progress. I want people to tell me I am doing well. That is wrong I don't need that. Don't tell me I am doing a good job I'm not asking for that. If you honestly enjoyed my work then that's fine I am glad and thank you that is what art is all about. I need to do this because I want to, because it is rewarding in itself. I struggle with finding an exact way to do something and there isn't one in most cases, like with eyes. you can draw them at least 3 different ways from what I have seen and there are many different shapes of and styles and that's just the socket. I'm learning from a book but I find myself struggling to sit down and read through and learn I want to just jump in and draw what he is drawing. I also am unsure about reference I know its good to use and how else do you learn but from looking at the real thing or anothers drawing. I just don't feel as good when I am looking at it, like I'm just copying. I feel like I should just try to draw until I get stuck then use reference to correct and perfect. IS that right? I have a hard time motivating myself. I make excuses and distract myself when I really want to sit down and learn this. I have reasons for wanting to draw and they make sense and are validated so why do I slack off.

I just needed to get it out I'm going to focus now
  • niuarts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I must say that I feel the same man. Thanks 4 sharing your experience, the importante is to keep going and asking yourself and friends were we can be better. Cool eye sketchs by the way.
  • Timmywithag
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    Well I have kind of realized that I need to loosen up in the way I draw. I get so ridged that I won't do something if I can't make it look good. so I am afraid I will fail so I don't even try. well I'm going to try and change that . So here is a list of things I'm going to work on. I know I'm copying my reference too much and not actually learning how to draw these parts.
    I need to start drawing things with an solid objective of what I need to learn so that I can better focus on that aspect and wont wander off into something irrelevant. Im going to stop sitting around people who will distract me I need to go off on my own and be alone and just draw.
    Pushing myself is good but I'm not doing it in a productive way. I just push to make things look better not to learn. learning is probably more important with looks the looks will come with time.
  • Suidae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suidae polycounter lvl 11
    I think you have a good attitude going forward here. One thing to note is that...we all suck. When you're starting out, you suck even more and have even more to learn than those with more experience than you. The important thing, though, is to face that fear and keep posting and showing the sucky stuff anyway. The more you show it, the more advice you'll get in a supportive environment like polycount. Take into consideration the advice and the next time you post, you'll get a little better, and better, and better, and eventually, you'll be making art like the pros.

Drawing from reference is always good, drawing from life is even better than photographs (and sometimes more frustrating). Remember to draw what you see, not how you think it should look. It will be difficult to draw from imagination and make it look convincing without first understanding how things should really look.

I like your eye sketches, they have some nice contrast and reflections. One thing I notice in your sketches is that you make very small quick sketchy lines to form a larger line or shape. Have you tried practicing line work with gestural drawings? Try to capture forms with as little line as possible. Use your arm and shoulder to draw and try to make confident long strokes instead of short ones. Also check out some Andrew Loomis books if you haven't already (i'm pretty sure they're scanned up on the internet, but I don't have a link).

Good luck, and keep persevering :poly142:
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    Thank you for the advice and I plan on reading all the Andrew Loomis books. From the little I have read he seems like a great writer and I can't wait to do some of the exercises. I am having a hard time drawing things the way I see them and not how I think they should look, I will keep at it though. practice practice practice. I m trying to do less sketchy lines like you said having more confident strokes will be nice. I appreciate the advice, honestly every bit I get is gold to me. I will post again soon. I need to start scanning now that I am drawing less on my computer and more on paper.
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    I have been working on this gun for a while maybe a few weeks. I started off just blocking it all off making all the different parts seperate.

294176_2178795147857_1186245784_32086332_1457251801_n.jpg

Then I started trying to merge them all together. It may be obvious which pieces are still very unattached.

376016_2268329746166_1186245784_32157279_1954304307_n.jpg
  • Timmywithag
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    gun_mesh_revised_by_timmywithag-d4hxmrm.jpg

Well I showed the mesh to some people and they told me how much crap it was so I changed it up and broke the body and handle guard up some more. I was very unaware of how much you could break a model up. how do you learn of such things!