Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] the 'Road Home'

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
While driving to visit friends in the town I grew up in I thought the road side would make for a rather melancholy environment. I went up again a while ago and filmed this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L84tv5_QJsI[/ame]

From there I toyed in my head over the course of a month or so how to build this and make it interesting. The goal here, though, is that while it might be melancholy that can be no excuse for it to be boring. I decided to first do the entire environment then go back to it and add interesting elements: A dilapidated barn. A burning car. A fallen UFO.

I'm hoping to do a video of this environment that's 1-2 minutes long and in the same essence of the one I captured above only with a few more interesting focal points.

One drunken night I blocked out this:
roadhome_WIP1.jpg

And this past weekend I managed to get this far:
roadhome_WIP2.jpg

I'm really not thinking economically with this environment. It's pretty hefty already in the triangle count and things are scaled slightly askew that'll need to be corrected.

I think next I'll do the foreground fence then go back and fix the errors.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    PS: Anyone have good tips for setting up foliage in Unreal? Should I be pointing the vert normals upward? What about the material settings?

The tall dead wheat grass in the foreground is nearly black on the one side facing away from the sun. I'm using Lightmass... :\
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    are you referring to the June build of UDK? foliage is pretty straightforward.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yes, the June build has a foliage placement tool. I am not wondering how to place foliage as I have clearly figured that part out ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah there isn't anything magical or tricky about it, just make sure for any meshes you are going to paint on "Use simple line collision" is unchecked (in the static mesh editor, like when you double click on mesh in the content browser.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    have you tried using transmission mask/color in your foliage material?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Dan! - Whats that? I'm up for trying new things!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    Dan! wrote: »
    have you tried using transmission mask/color in your foliage material?

in that case why not just use SSS? (or SSSSS as they call it)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hey man, played with some adjustments to kinda bring it towards your ref vid, dunno if you still want to go in that direction but just an idea, maybe somethign along these lines for but not as extreme on the sun?

the vid looks awesome with its super desaturated tones, I think mostly beacause its almost all ambient light with very little direct sun. it would be doooope to get that dappled/clouds moving over the ground look. cant wait to see more man.
    melancholy.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah man its still the plan. Looks awesome like that!
  • Oiban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oiban polycounter lvl 6
    Looking awesome men!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey adam, to get the best lighting results on your foliage, you'll want to use a Max plugin called Slide Normal Thief to assign explicit normals to the entire foliage mesh as referenced from another mesh. I can explain better tomorrow when i'm not typing from my phone. I've been meaning to make a tutorial on it.
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pumbaa polycounter lvl 15
    Adam dude your environments always stun me, this one looks interesting as well. Looking forward to follow this one
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    SeanEG wrote: »
    Hey adam, to get the best lighting results on your foliage, you'll want to use a Max plugin called Slide Normal Thief to assign explicit normals to the entire foliage mesh as referenced from another mesh. I can explain better tomorrow when i'm not typing from my phone. I've been meaning to make a tutorial on it.

Now this sounds interesting.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75343

maybe that helps with the foliage

nice looking scene so far :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    SeanEG wrote: »

Hey man - please tell me more! I think in previous UDK env's, I edited the normals of my foliage to get better lighting results. It's been a while, though, so I'm hoping to hear what others have to say.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    divi wrote: »
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75343

maybe that helps with the foliage

nice looking scene so far :)

AAAWWWWWW YYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    adam wrote: »
    AAAWWWWWW YYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Now put some fake subsurface scattering on those tall grass clumps so they'll look better :P
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Gonna do nifty things to them when I get home tonight!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good Adam. Slightly off topic: Anyone know a similar script like normal thief in maya?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I remember on true crime we had a tool for max that would align the normals of a selected tree/bush to a sphere so it lit really smoothly all over. It also had a function where it would darken the object woth vertex alpha dependant on the depth of intersection with the sphere to give it an internal AO look that added a ton of form to our foliage. I dont now if that was a ufg tool or something they grabbed from the net, but it was awesome.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good Adam. Slightly off topic: Anyone know a similar script like normal thief in maya?

Mesh - Transfere atributes - check normals. Then you just gotta have a good target.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Mesh - Transfere atributes - check normals. Then you just gotta have a good target.

awesome stuff sltr :) thanks
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great Adam :) I remember the original topic you've made in the general discussion and I'm glad you've chosen this subject.

Here's a quick tip on how you could make the grass look a little better.

Set the material's lighting model to MLM_NonDirectional; it works pretty well on the grass and will be a lot cheaper than making an SSS material.

Also, multiply your grass texture by a scalar parameter (brightness) and a vector parameter (color) and create an instance of that material. Now you will be able to tweak the color and brightness of your grass and see the results in the editor without having to compile the material over and over again. Tweak the values until your grass is almost indistinguishable from the terrain and you will notice a huge improvement :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I love you guys.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That bit from 0;38 to 0:45 is so sweet. A little pond, dirt road, fence wire, etc bah reminds me of my work commute from toronto to the shwa :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember on true crime we had a tool for max that would align the normals of a selected tree/bush to a sphere so it lit really smoothly all over.

This is basically what I was referring to. I'm at home on break without UDK or 3ds Max for the next week, but I'll try to explain it the best I can.

First, you'll want to build your entire foliage mesh in 3ds Max, and have all your alpha plane placement finalized. Once you have that done, download this script called SlideNormalThief. What this script does is copies the vertex normals from a reference mesh over to your target object, in this case your foliage mesh. The process is similar to baking maps using RTT. You'll place the reference object over top of the target object, and the target object's vertex normals will bend to match the nearest vertex normal on your reference object. You can use any shape you'd like for the reference object, as you can get different results depending on what effect you're going for. I found I got the best results by starting with a sphere and sculpting it till I had a blobby shape that conformed to the basic shape of my foliage mesh. If I remember correctly, both objects need to have an Edit Normals modifier applied before using the script.

Here's an image from Eric Chadwick that shows the results of bent vertex normals.

ericchadwick_tree-normals-comparison.gif

Once you have results you are happy with, you'll have to export it to UDK in FBX format, as that will ensure you are preserving your explicit normals. On export there will be an option to export normals, I can't remember what it is off the top of my head, but it shouldn't be hard to find in the options. Once in UDK import your foliage mesh, and under the import options, tick "Explicit Normals". You should be all set.

Here's an image I had laying around from when I was testing this method a few months ago. It was just a test mesh, but you can see the lighting is even across the mesh, hiding the fact that it's just alpha planes.

tree_test.jpg

Hopefully once I get back to my home computer, I can put together an actual tutorial. Hope this helps!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So what sort of mesh should I be referencing for the vertex normal thievery?

EDIT: I suck at reading. Cool, a sphere to start that conforms somewhat to the tree. DONE.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm.. FBX. My entire scene is ASE. How easy is it to switch an entire scene's props from the ASE version to the FBX one?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm.. FBX. My entire scene is ASE. How easy is it to switch an entire scene's props from the ASE version to the FBX one?

Dont have UDK here, but I believe you can

- export out your grass model from max as FBX.
    - Import into UDK,
    - click your grass model in editor,
    - select matching static meshes (right click and select)
    - replace with your fbx (by right clicking and making sure you clicked the fbx model in the content browser.)

This all depends if your pivots are the same.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Dont have UDK here, but I believe you can

- export out your grass model from max as FBX.
    - Import into UDK,
    - click your grass model in editor,
    - select matching static meshes (right click and select)
    - replace with your fbx (by right clicking and making sure you clicked the fbx model in the content browser.)

This all depends if your pivots are the same.

You can also consolidate assets using the consolidation tool. Just remember to pick the mesh you want to keep in the dialog window of the tool :P
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance wrote: »
    You can also consolidate assets using the consolidation tool. Just remember to pick the mesh you want to keep in the dialog window of the tool :P

Must be something new. Havent played around much in the newer UDK's
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great Adam :) I remember the original topic you've made in the general discussion and I'm glad you've chosen this subject.

Here's a quick tip on how you could make the grass look a little better.

Set the material's lighting model to MLM_NonDirectional; it works pretty well on the grass and will be a lot cheaper than making an SSS material.

Also, multiply your grass texture by a scalar parameter (brightness) and a vector parameter (color) and create an instance of that material. Now you will be able to tweak the color and brightness of your grass and see the results in the editor without having to compile the material over and over again. Tweak the values until your grass is almost indistinguishable from the terrain and you will notice a huge improvement :)

That's fantastically smart! I've always found that the biggest haslte is to make the grass foliage fit with the ground textures.

Something that would be really cool is if you have a megatexture or what ever for you big colors and so on. Then some tiling ground textures for corresponding area in you mega texture. AND THEN have the grass melt together with the underlying megatexture. Kinda you get the idea so that you get some nice settle variation corresponding to you ground material.

Remember to get like three slightly different grass models. It will look so damn repetitive otherwise. I you already said that you'll not really focus on performance here.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sltr: Why not vertex color the grass models? :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sltr: Why not vertex color the grass models? :)

Yeah sure. But wouldn't it be cool if that would happend with a shader? Either vertex color or a "what ever that node is called in UDK material editor"..
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm, bummer. The NormalThief script won't launch when I run it in Max (2010 x64). :\
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    ohyeah.gif

Looking great Adam. I already mentioned on FB that the grass looks a bit odd with the bright/dark extremes, but otherwise it's looking sharp.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So I've tinkered with the vertex normals and I am mostly getting great results. Oddly enough however some meshes are refusing to light properly. Observe:

roadhome_grr1.jpg
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Material set to 2 sided? kind of looks like the backfaces...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah the material is 2 sided. I figured that it would be baking one side and erroring on the other. So I went 1 sided and baked... still :\
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not sure what your material setup is but with grass I usually multiply the diffuse texture by .1 or .2 and plug that into the emissive. It can be a subtle effect cheating light transmission by eliminating any black you may get.

[Edit]

Having a transmission setup will also help:
    BPU0F.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks I'll try that out. I'm still confused as to why some of them were lit black like that while others were not.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    ZacD wrote: »
    Yeah there isn't anything magical or tricky about it, just make sure for any meshes you are going to paint on "Use simple line collision" is unchecked (in the static mesh editor, like when you double click on mesh in the content browser.

Explain?
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    remember, if those grass planes are vertex lit and some of those are underground, they're going to be receiving some pretty black blacks. Manually point the vertex normals on your grass upwards. You don't play by the same rules when you're dealing with foliage planes.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Uly - As far as I know they were being baked. They had a 2nd UV set up which I thought UDK used by default. So unless I have to manually tell it to be baked, it should be baking when I compile lighting.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly - As far as I know they were being baked. They had a 2nd UV set up which I thought UDK used by default. So unless I have to manually tell it to be baked, it should be baking when I compile lighting.

Wouldn't it be easy to try to just move the ground plane a few units down and bake just to see if the blacks are still there?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'll just pick those grass planes and move them up instead to test ;)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll just pick those grass planes and move them up instead to test ;)

Ah, always so smart :D
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Yeah sure. But wouldn't it be cool if that would happend with a shader? Either vertex color or a "what ever that node is called in UDK material editor"..

Could vertex color the bottom of the grass and lerp between your grass texture and the ground texture with vertex color. Pretty cheap way of doing it as I dont know how you would try to figure out the pixels underneath of the mesh etc maybe playing around with object world position (think thats a node).

@Adam: I've used the emissive slot like paul to get rid of the black in grass.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The next field over is nearly done as well. I'll show it once a couple of more things are done for it.
    roadhome_WIP3.jpg
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE! really like this. only thing that bothers me is the grass that pops. if youget that fixed it will look awesome=)