Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pineapple Smash Crew

Replies

• Gorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still not sold on the new particles. I thought the round bubbly place holders were charming.

Maybe try some more circular looking explosions rather than fluffy explosions.
    And perhaps try using fewer bigger particles rather than lots of small ones
    PSC_shot002sm.jpg
    This kind of thing looks a little cluttered to me, I know that those are trails from the explosion, but I wish that you could find a way to make it look nicer (one of the nicest things about the place holder particles was that they blended together to naturally make large explosions).

Are the blue lasers and the red bullets place holders or are they just retro?

The 'jello cup' yellow monster things are strange too.

Now that I have talked about the things I don't like, I would take about the things that I do like, but that would take too long, so in short, the game looks awesome, both the gameplay and the art.

I'm very excited to see how this progresses ^^
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Hi folks, I wanted to ask for some level graphics crits please!

I'm just starting to look at different level graphics for different ship 'makes'. For now, it's just going to be a texture swapout, at some later stage I may play with the shape of the blocks.

looking at the old screens, the pickup mechanic has changed now so I don't have those blue orbs all over the place. I kinda miss them, as little dots of bright colour. Maybe I can get that back into the scene a little through other means- little lights on the crates maybe, or something like that.

this is a black n white 'techy' sort of level. on the right is 'low power lighting' mode (click the thumbnails btw)

PineappleSmashCrew_c01-300x187.jpg PineappleSmashCrew_c02-300x187.jpg

this design was a homage to speedball2.. it looks really really blue though. I like how low power mode turned out

PineappleSmashCrew_c03-300x187.jpg PineappleSmashCrew_c04-300x187.jpg

this is the default graphics seen so far. this tile set has several variations, the others don't yet

PineappleSmashCrew_c05-300x187.jpg PineappleSmashCrew_c06-300x187.jpg

one side effect to the 'low poly no filtering' style is lots of aliasing. I don't notice it too bad when I'm playing but you can see plenty of jaggies. I suppose one option is to upscale the textures a few times and turn back on filtering and mipmaps. Turning on antialiasing does very little since in most cases it's the texture not the geometry boundary which contains the aliasing
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hi guys, still would love some crits :)

also, I need a logo real quick! this is the first version of it, any crits on this too? this was my first impulse really. I'd love some other takes on how it could go.

PineappleSmashCrew_logo_v01.png

thanks!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Looking pretty awesome, would be great to see more glowing things (like when you open the doors), helps give it a more scifi feel :D
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Diggin the logo. Try a blue or something for the SMASH CREW part, so it stands out against the background?

As for the levels, I think the top two suffer from too much local contrast, making the screen harder to read. Too much near black and near white.

In that regard, this one is the worst offender:
    http://www.richmakegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/PineappleSmashCrew_c01-300x187.jpg

I think this is the best:
    http://www.richmakegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/PineappleSmashCrew_c03-300x187.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks slum, I did some tweaks, I really like the blue idea:
    PineappleSmashCrew_logo_v02.jpg

cheers for the level crit, that's what I was afraid of, wanted some more eyes on it. hmm, I'll have a play with the contrast
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    ROOSTER!

Keep up all the great work! I am loving this so far! I dig the new logo also! I don't know if it is me or just the way the drop shadow looks but the word 'Pineapple' seems off centered. It's not really a big deal, the more I look at it the less it seems off. Just thought I would throw that out there...

I really like what you got so far and can't wait to see more!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ah great, the blue really works.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Hi all! It's been announced Pineapple Smash Crew is going to be in the Indie Games Arcade section of Eurogamer Expo 2011!

and, I'm completely bricking it. I have like 2 weeks to get the game ready, so this is another callout for some testing help

if you think you could spare a short while to have a crack on the game and report your experience, I would seriously appreciate it! (the game's small to download too)

the game's going to be running for the first time infront of tons of people and I'll just die if it sucks or something goes wrong.. I really want to test the hell out of it (and get the gameplay balanced!). Also, if you test it and we meet in London (and we're in a pub) I'll get you a pint! howsat :)
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Testing the game again, there like a bear!

And congrats on getting it into Eurogamer!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    rock de shit!! cool design decision to go the pixel look road. :)
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hell yeah rooster, show those nerds how it's done
    and obviously i would love to playtest!

one small thing about the graphics; i think you could add some color or luminosity divergence between the walls and the floors. right now some of the levels look quite monochrome and just adding some hints of color contrast might make things a tiny bit more readable.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Aww this game would be so awesome as multiplayer! Totally something I'm gonna buy if/when you release it! Love the style of this game.
    If you still need a play tester, just send me a pm :)

Logo is also looking awesome, glad you went with the blue letters rather then the red/brown one.

The levels I'm gonna agree with Slum, top 2 ones have a bit to much contrast, especially on top of the walls.
    The 2 middle ones are my favorites, although I think it might look nice if the blue one would have the same color variation on the floor tiles as the tiles in the green level. Breaks it up a bit in my opinion.
    Bottom left one I do like, but there is something I can't put my finger on.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work and good luck at the expo!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Can never have enough testers!! thanks guys :)

I'm definitely going to be revisiting the levels sometime soon, all these crits are great- (my eyes really get used to it all, fresh perspective is really valuable)
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ME! ME! I will test it for you. See if I can break it! =)

Congrats btw, on getting it to the Indie Games Arcade!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey, thanks evilblah! yeah I'll get you a version once I've fixed this crash bug someone found :). hate bugs!

dustin: haha, yeah they do a bit :D. as soon as I find the time I want to do a sweep of all the level gfx and make some changes..

on a sidenote, I see places reporting me as Red Produkt in the arcade lineup :/. There was a mixup apparently. while red_produkt is an alias of mine, I release all my games under RichMakeGame, bit gutted :/. Specially since people can't make the connection with my ludum dare entry
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw damn man, that sucks! Is there anyway to contact them and get that changed?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i tried, but even then tons of news sources just copy and paste off each other so by the time the source is changed everyone's using the wrong version anyway. meh.

ah well, I'll just have to try make an impression on the day and plaster my logo everywhere :D
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! I fell in love with the style after watching the vid on the front page. The transition from your concept to the low-poly is impressive :D Good luck with it!

And if you need any more testers, I'd love to give it a spin! ;)
  • ZeroCartin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    This is so awesome. Really inspires me to go forward in my game designing! :D
  • ZeroCartin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    Id love to test the game if possible! :D Keep up the amazing work.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    sweet i love the look :D
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    This looks awesome. Just went though all the developmental videos, looks super fun. Was neat seeing it progress. Kick ass work man!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks guys! here's a first draft of the splash screen.. love some crits
    (the camera moves around a bit and the logo periodically pulses)
    PSC_shot008.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Looks cool. I'd like to see more variation in the character colours other than just the differing outline colours and also vary the poses. Actally. I'm not sure I like their placement on the screen now that i look at it. Maybe just have the left dude. Make him larger and rotate him inward a bit from the camera and have him looking up to the right "Hero pose". The other 3 could either be removed or silhouetted and placed behind the main logo. Might work, might not. Just a thought.

Best example i could find

0.jpg
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also not digging the placement of the characters in that splash screen, feels very samy, which is understandable i supposed. They also feel somewhat like an afterthought.

I'd consider removing them, and just having the various logo's on the splash screen, or alternatively, have them running around on that background plane.

Or as stinger says, have the one in full view, and maybe silhouette the others, and colourise it as if it were an epic explosion silhouette. But remove the standing pose, put them into a running pose.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't made a peep yet, but I've been following this (and your other projects) for a while rooster, and I gotta say man, this is super inspirational.

I hope something special comes out of this for you and your crew (if you have a crew :P hehe).

Good luck and keep up the great work!
  • Gingerkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been watching this for a while now, and like many others, it's truly inspirational, im getting the motivation to actually start something, cant wait to see this at Eurogamer :D You are there on Sunday right?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    I'd say just keep the guy on the left in and take out the three on the right,
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cheers for the crits! I'll try a few things out see how it feels :)

while you're here, what about this as a flyer:
    I'm debating how much info to put on there.. I quite like the idea of leaving it cryptic and hopefully generating some curiosity. it could work great or it could work horrible

pscflyer_sm.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Hmmm... I like cryptic, but...

I think you need to get some info on there tbh. I hate being handed flyers and not knowing wtf its about. In the bin it goes and i'm none the wiser.

Sell yourself more. Get your "rich make game" logo on there and a blog address at the very least.

If I were making a flyer I'd have tons of info on it. Your games got punchy graphics and a couple of screen shots will generate alot of interest. If the flyer has a printed reverse I'd get them on there along with directions to where I can play it/see it at the expo
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm yeah I guess so. I mean I mainly want something to drive people towards the playtest, and maybe remind them of it later. I think if they have the flyer and don't go its no good either way..

i'm imagining there's going to be tons of flyers covered in screenshots, game features and space marines, so I was trying to think of something simple and striking which might make people curious enough to take a look.

blog and twitter are probably a good idea tho eh, for someone who saw the game, has the flyer and wants to find out more
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    i'm late but that splash screen seems a little too busy, I think the logo stands on it's own.

As far as attention getting flyers, I think the smash crew guy is interesting enough to draw attention. He's also begging for some papercraft treatment.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Ok, finally created a game page for the game!
    http://www.richmakegame.com/?page_id=399

here's some new stuff :)

this is also a reminder to come say hi at the Eurogamer Expo in London if you'll be there! I need some moral support :]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dr1cWyYFEg[/ame]

SMC_01-300x187.jpg SMC_02-300x187.jpg
    SMC_03-300x187.jpg SMC_04-300x187.jpg
    SMC_05-300x187.jpg SMC_06-300x187.jpg
    SMC_07-300x187.jpg SMC_08-300x187.jpg
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is looking awesome rooster. Good luck at the expo.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Awesome. Love the new weapon effects and shockwave.

Justins right. The character is screaming papercraft. Just print some "tweaked" UV's.
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    I'm at the expo on Thursday, i'll stop by and say 'Hi'. This looks very impressive for a one man development!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool new stuff.

As for the flower, put your logo in the corner over the "indie arcade" bit (this PineappleSmashCrew_logo_v02.jpg).
    Definitely. You want people to see and know the name, but be curious of what its about.

I know you're probably already there, but that's my two cents.
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    This game is the bee's knees! Just got back from the expo and i'd say was the most fun game in the Indy section, I'd also rate it more enjoyable than some of the AAA titles I played today! Was nice chatting to ya man! All the best :)
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naugat polycounter lvl 12
    Howdy Rich, also just back from the expo and loved the game - it's shaping up quite nicely

I'm gonna get all my friends to try it tomorrow. I'll rub their heads together and get their reactions for you.

Speaking of reactions, I forgot to ask; What do the blue pads do? They seemed to light up when I tossed a grenade on them but I couldn't figure what exactly. Just curious.

PS. I'm the beardy chap who mentioned trying to get back into Stainless :)
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Had a good play of this down at the Eurogamer with Ani, It's shaping up really nicely man! Best game at the indie secion. ;)

I really wanted to say hi! But I don't know what you look like and I didn't see anyone hanging around your booth. :( Anyway, congrats!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Was awesome to chat with you and play the game man, I totally second the best game of the indie section comment :)
    fantastic movement feel, easy to learn, really looking forward to playing it once it'll be out :)
  • Gingerkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cant wait to see this tomorrow at Eurogamer. any idea where the flier's are going to be? :D
  • Bal
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, congratulations!
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats!

Saw you with TB was really pumped :D
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Woo woo! Congrats, Rich! Looks fun and I can't wait to waste time playing it.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Ha, I was just about to post this! So awesome. Congrats! :D
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10