Home General Discussion

1st PC Build

Replies

• greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    linkov wrote: »
    so, instead of buying one expensive thing later, you actually suggesting buying two expensive things?

can you explain a little bit, how exactly great it feels? because while I fully understand the benefits of having an SSD, I clearly don't understand what it is you do with your computer?

When I wake up, I'm pressing power button and go to the bathroom, then kitchen, and when I finally come back, its already fully operational, and I don't really care if took 40 secs or 20 secs for windows to boot-up, because meanwhile I was doing other things. Its also doesn't help with modeling speed. Or texture painting. Workwise its good only to save time when saving/loading your files. And that is if you work with really large ones. Well, your programs will start faster too. Good. But its not some sort of necessity, one can't live without. At least for a while longer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being hostile, I really just don't get it. The OP is obviously on a tight bugdet here. Don't you think its better to get some quality for the parts he really NEEDS?

I agree, an SSD is something you can postpone and you can upgrade to it later despite what Frankie thinks. You can actually create an image of your OS drive and put it on your new SSD. One caveat though. I would recommend you partition your drive to the size of the SSD you plan on purchasing (i.e. 120GB SSD, 110GB paritition just to account for overhead). It takes only a little planning ahead but it can save you a lot of work later on.

So save the SSD for later and partition your drive accordingly. The rest of your build looks good.

@EQ

A new OS install is not necessary to upgrade to an SSD. Just partition your drive for the target SSD and use drive imaging software (there are some free ones out there) to migrate your OS to the new drive without disrupting your configuration.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm waiting till weve got SSDs with 500gb of capacity for about a hundred quid, before I buy them. There releasing dual hard drives with the capacity of disk based drives and the speed of ssds soon.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I'm noticing it a lot when loading and saving big object and images also when navigating though windows. At least I think I do. Thats an i7 2600k at home with 8 gigs compared to a i7 950 at work with 4 gigs of ram and running different programs so it could account for some difference.

The point about buying the SSD at the start is that it's a hassle having to re-install windows on it if you upgrade later. Not sure I'm suggesting buying two expensive things.

I'd rather go for the lower spec graphics card (and mobo that someone mentioned) as I'm getting 60fps on mine at 1080p in all the games I've tried. But then again the price difference was much greater when I got mine than what Blaizer quoted, I paid 90 pounds for mine so I think it was around 80-100 pounds cheaper than the 5 series cards.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greevar are you sure? AFAIK windows sets itself up different if you install onto an SSD? Maybe you can just tweak some settings though. And also it still sounds like pain :D
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie wrote: »
    Greevar are you sure? AFAIK windows sets itself up different if you install onto an SSD? Maybe you can just tweak some settings though. And also it still sounds like pain :D

It treats it differently, but the installation isn't. Windows turns off some things that improve performance on HDD's, like readyboost and defrag. The worst problem is a misalignment of the data, but there are utilities to deal with it. It will save you from rebuilding your installation.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    *shrug* maybe, when I get one, I'll change my opinion, but for now I don't feel like I'm deprived of something. Re-installing OS certainly isn't something I look up to, but honestly.. it can't be that bad :nerd:
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Well the simple fact is that its more of a pain to do it later, than it is to just put one in at the start, which I think is the point frankie was trying to make.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Apricorn upgrade kits.

Takes about 2 hours. You lock in your two drives you want, the one you want to clone and the one you want to clone to. It takes 4 steps, automatically adjusts partitions and even copys hidden partitions that preserve os back-ups and the like.
    I've used their notebook version since for the most part I use 2.5" hard drives. Its set it and forget it.

4 steps to set up it walks you through it and then it starts the clone compression/expansion err'ting. It'll let you know when its done then its as easy as shutting down and swapping drives.

If there is a Fry's Electronics near you, you can find these for 50% of the cost posted on their site.

edit: I do agree it is still annoying to do that vs, just install it in the first place.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes... Maybe I was being over enthusiastic about it. I'm really pleased with it and very glad I spent the money however like some people said, having a system without one is going to be fine too.

I don't know what spec TJ is on now, but that new pc is going to be awesome.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I don't know where do you see something painful in re-installing windows + all your apps. We always can use images, and in the worst case, a clean install only takes 2~ hours as much with all the apps we could use (of course, you need to have your dvds/cds/external hds by hand with all what you need).

For me, talking about ssds, to wait for better prices is the best option for our budget. They are very expensive, and imho, there are better things for the computer like a good led ips monitor.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "...there are better things for the computer like a good led ips monitor."

No, dual LED IPS monitors are better. :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    uh... as long as you set your boot drive to the SSD you don't even "need" to format the old HDD, which removes the hassle of backing up to different drives (if you only have the one).
  • TJS93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My final spec is

Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro R3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard

Ram Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit

CPUIntel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor

Optical drive Samsung SH-S222AB/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)

Graphics card Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Hardrive Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache

Cooler Xigmatek Gaia

Power supply Antec High Current Gamer 620W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply

Case Zalman Z9 Plus Tower Case

Operating system Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

and thanks for all your help guys would not have done it with out you.:)