Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

pig-face

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    no worries, like I say hope it helps...I'm still in the learning stages rather than teaching to be honest...hehehe you have a point with the chalk....damn....oh wait...uhm his squire does it?

i'm not sure if i should mention that I erase out a lot of the grunge with a low opacity brush where it would logically not collect as much, but I guess that everyone does that
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    no worries serp, love the texturing on your oil pump by the way....damn sexy!!

anyway...beer and texturing :)

nearly done with this now, just a few areas to sort...and probably a few corrections...yay!

wip27.jpg

short turntable on vimeo : http://vimeo.com/27070884
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    This looks great man..my only crit is that the skin in transition to the boils should have some kind of inflammation color ..so the green in not so abrupt..I kind of feel the same way about where the hoof meets the flesh..overall it looks great
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey Low odor, thanks man, I have worked more on the transition from boil to skin and toned down the yellow a bit, but the hoof/flesh gap just ended up looking like dirt so I scrapped it....I think I ran out of talent for that bit :)

I think that this might be done texture wise, but would like the opinion of the good people of polycount while I work on getting the bloody thing rigged :D

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

thanks for looking
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I miss the saturation on the skin :\
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great so far. As for texture work, Maybe try warming up the skin tones a tad more so that it contrasts better with the metal. Also it might be cool to take that white paint idea on the helmet and echo that through the other metal elements of the character. Not too much but maybe in 1 or 2 other places. Just a suggestion though, something to try out maybe.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey ZacD, Hofsta...thanks for the comments guys, I have put the skin back the way it was, so warmer tones then :)...Hofsta, I see where you are coming from, I will have a think about what I could do with the white paint.

more pictures then:
    f3.jpg
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's better, I think it reads as flesh from farther away now and I dont have to sit there an try and figure out what is metal and whats not. Looks more alive and less like a zombie too!

As far as the paint goes, I was thinking in refrence to the uruk hai sorta like this
    http://www.wetanz.com/assets/Uploads/lotrbusturukbersekerlrg.jpg

and maybe like this too.
    http://th01.deviantart.com/fs23/300W/f/2008/024/e/0/e033ee5c779b2312.jpg

for all i know though it might be a bad idea and you shouldn't listen to me at all.lol
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Heck yes, this is sexy :) What size texture maps do you have on this baby? Really sweet work man.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    I must say that I love what you did with this model. Awesome modeling, great texturing and incredible presentation too (btw. big thanks for sharing marmoset lighting setup with us - anytime I tried fighting marmoset I ended up with horrible results). Keep up the great work!
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hofsta: its a cool idea man, will probably work it into his shield more than his armour I think, just to tie it all together

chrisradsby: Thanks Chris :) 2048 for piggy and a 1024 for the cleaver which I should reduce to 512 really.

ghost-d: thanks very much, and no worries with the lighting thing, hope that it helps. ( love the cloth on your nurse piece by the way. )

does anyone have links to a good gloss map tut? I have tried them but really dont understand what I'm doing with them :D
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hey seth, had a look at your portfolio again, good stuff but you should probably take off the Judge Cadet, it's the weakest one I'd say. :)

Great progress so far man
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    seth. wrote: »
    does anyone have links to a good gloss map tut? I have tried them but really dont understand what I'm doing with them :D

The easiest to start playing with a gloss map would be to just mask out the skin and the metal, make the metal light gray, and the skin dark gray, and play with the values until you like it and add the dirt or other detail in at the end. Also you may want you crank up the spec just so you can see it better at first.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    seth. wrote: »

I just started tackling them myself. I've been doing pretty much what ZacD said but I also make up a list of everything in order of tightest shine to broadest shine (Boils, Eyes, Skin, Hooves, Armor, Weapon). Then starting from the bottom I work my way up black to white on the HSB in PS color picker. So, weapon 25%b Armor 30%b Hooves 35%b, etc. Then test in Marmo and tweak. Not sure if thats the BEST way, but it's the way I wrap my head around it. Sorry if this doesnt help too much or if it's just to damn long :)

And great work on this guy of course, he is disgustingly beautiful.
  • asic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asic polycounter lvl 12
    Great Kevin Bacon caricature :D
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    chris: Hey man, is it a texture thing do you think, could i perhaps salvage her with some updates or is it a lost cause from the mesh up?

ZacD and MrHobo : thanks guys, great advice. I will give that a go this evening, it looks more like I should be adding it into the process before generating the detailed spec map....hmmm I have stuff to think about then

asic: dont mention bacon near him, it makes him grumpy :D

thanks again for the comments
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    well, I think that this guy has reached the point where I need to walk away from him for a few weeks and get another project on the go so heres the final shot as it stands. I still want to build a shield for him, but I think a few weeks away from it will help freshen up my eyes...plus I just started Brink and i'm feeling it's influence already :D

thanks to everyone for your comments and crits :)

f4.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaaaammmmmnnnnn boy. Great work. I absolutely love the metal texture.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Damn man I think you deserved a lot more final comments than that! This turned out really great, grats :D
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    thanks Sean:D

Hey torch, I'm not stressed on the final comments, I figure that not much had changed from the previous shots to this one to talk about, but thank you very much anyway :D