Home General Discussion

Environment Training Challenge

I just thought of something... Why not start a list of Environment objects to model for practice? SO! The following is what I need from YOU, the polycount community, if you would be so kind:

- List of Basic, yet challenging objects to create.
- List of Intermediate objects to create
- List of Advanced objects to create

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Calm down and put your energy into making things.
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am now a sad panda T-T

FIEN! *goes off to make my own list*
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think the problem people are having with you/your posts. is that you've got a lot of "ideas" which revolve around other people either doing work, or doing work for you. persuing these ideas takes up time which you could use better by simply cracking on and making stuff.

you shouldn't need a list or anything, just make something. even a simple crate, or door. and start posting artwork. then people will start to help you.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    which revolve around other people either doing work, or doing work for you.

Aye. Anyone notice the threads have black dots in the middle of the green dots now?
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Truth is hard to hear >.> but i needed to hear it :)

kinda want this post to die now though.. T-T don't reply
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The other day, I saw a concept. I haven't been actively making things for a little while, but after seeing that concept I immediately started modeling it. It's cool because I have 80% of it blocked out already just after two to three hours of work.

Just go look at concepts, pick one, and turn it into a 3D scene. That is the only way you'll remember why you loved doing this in the first place.

Looking back at other threads you've made, I see a dumpster with a normal and AO map, but no diffuse. Finish that thing up man.

Looking at your arcade machine, it looks lazy in terms of the diffuse. No scratches, no coin inputs, just solid colors without dirt, no interesting specular....

Nekomata wrote: »

I would like to know what some of the professionals think are good models to attempt. I would personally like a list of objects to model so I don't have to go hunting for something to model.

That is vague and shows to me that you don't really understand game art....

First off, don't wait around trying to make the 'perfect' thing. Just start pumping stuff out, and your skills will grow naturally.

What you model does not matter. The only thing that matters is that you make the end result reach production quality. It can be as simple as a barrel or a crate, to progress your high poly to low poly skills, and this will also help you to really work on your texturing as that is the only way to sell such simple assets.

Basically, make what you want to make and make it look professional-quality. Even if you have to re-make the texture 10 times or more.

Go out there and look at awesome portfolios. Save pictures you like to an inspiration folder, including texture flats of models you like. Strive to meet and exceed that quality.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin loves trees.
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -facepalm-
    It was so close to dead.. SO CLOSE!

Anyway >.>
    Reason I have not done anything on that Dumpster is because I had to reinstall windows and I lost the files along with allot of other stuff.. which sucked.. I have just finished modelling a step-ladder and am planning on going back to the Arcade Machine..

Dear lord let this thread die /o\ I am so ashamed of myself and it...
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not edit your first post and make it a personal environment training challenge?
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    edit the first post away? also, just model things from on your desk or in your room, job done.
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea :) buuut still feel.. noobish.. VERY.. noobish..
    but meh, Stupid people make stupid mistakes I guess ^-^
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Dont let yourself down Nekomata;

everyone whos new here always suffers through massive brain farts until they finally settle down, do some work and present. :)

Though your idea was good and I was up for it until I read the second and fourth post in this thread.