Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome stuff, nice job!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    The subtle details in your spec realllllly sell your work. Very very inspiring.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice updates, looking really good. Just a bit of nit picking, maybe not worth the time it would take to fix:

-The console screen has a hexagon texture overlayed on the screen. I see that it's part of the 2D concept, but I think it might be better without it tbh. I would at least move that layer to be below the text and graphics on the screen, just so that it doesn't stick out so much.

-In the bottom corners, you sort of have a confluence of tangents. There are about four "lines" intersecting there:
    4b98G.jpg
    This may be too much work to fix, but if you do go back, I would mabye make it something more like this:
    8QdOB.jpg
    Crappy paintover, but this is a pretty minor thing, I would just keep moving forward probably. moar updates!
  • shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very "nit picky" ... hey GoSsSI'm very curious as to how you texture (small tutorial please). i love what you've done so far keep up the good work. very excited for this piece! :)
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Nice props and good materials. Can´t wait to see the entire scene finished....
  • Irodex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irodex polycounter lvl 18
    GoSsS wrote: »
    @Razorb : Thanks a lot dude!

Hi Res of the console done :

HI_Terminal.jpg

Low Res is done as well :

Low_Terminal.jpg

Next update will probably be the bench.

Edit : Oops I forgot the wires :

Wires.jpg

Realtime grabs in Marmoset? Would love to know what your setup is :)
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Hey !

@dang87, Jessica Dinh, Computron, doeseph : Thanks!
    @Quack! : Thanks. Yeah, I like spending some time on the specular because this map is as important as the diffuse in my opinion (gloss/specular power is really important as well)
    @SgtNasty : Hah, nice catch :D
    Your crits are totally right, here's the new version :

Low_Terminal_tweaks.jpg

I kept the hexagonal stuff on the screen but "darkened" the specular where there is text on the screen and it's way better like that, thanks !

@shawnell3d : Thanks ! As for the little tutorial, here is a step by step on how I create the diffuse :

Texture_stepbystep.jpg

For the specular, I basically duplicate all the layers of the diffuse and tweak each one of them (color, intensity value, brightness/contrast etc) (sometimes I remove/add some), you can see that on the flats I posted on page 1.

@IxenonI : Thanks! I'll try to put a paintover of the mood/lighting I want for the final scene, because right now, in the UDK, I'm just using a basic lighting (to be honest I use the unlit mode in the UDK for now just to see if the value/colors are working well together :D)

@Irodex : Sure the LowRes is rendered in the marmoset <3
    Here are the settings used for the terminal :

Marmo_Settings.jpg

Not sure it's really interesting (because this sort of stuff is really driven by the object/textures) but you wanted it so ... ;)

I finished the bench :
    First the references :

Bench_Refs.jpg

There is so many cool design on the internet so I decided going for a mix of some of them instead of trying creating a new one). If I remmeber it right there is similar "chairs" (the part where you seat :D) in one map of Brink.

Hi Poly
    Bench_Hi.jpg

Wire (because some of you loveeee wires :D)
    Bench_Wire.jpg

And finally the Lowpo' in the marmo'
    Bench_Low.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Cool concept for the bench!
  • shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ GoSsS Thanks for the in depth texturing tutorial. This will truely help my texturing for sciFi.:):):)
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the texture breakdown!
    One small crit on your benches, I could be wrong here (they could be bigger than I realize) but I think you need to make the base for the benches slightly wider. Right now I imagine if I sat down on it and leaned backwards it might start tipping back.
    Other than that your material definition is looking great.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    great job so far really digging the style you have going on. Always appreciate the breakdowns on great work.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the style! Reminds me of brink. At least that bench does :D
    Great work!
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the breakdown of your diffuse creation. Always helpful to see how someones process works.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I'd have sex with that bench.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    man your materials are badass.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely clean texturing GoSsS! :)
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Loving your work, man.
    Question though: Are you just texturing you highpolies for fun or is there a reason behind it ?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks awesome. Really liking all your props so far.

Thanks for throwing up your step by step for your textures. Your spec maps are really selling your stuff.

Looking forward to seeing progress.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    @Computron : Thanks!
    @shawnell3d : No problem ;)
    @MrHobo : This bench is fixed to the ground and will be placed against walls, so I think this feeling will disapear when placed in the level.
    @ajr2764 : Thansk a lot
    @Pedro Amorim : Thanks dude! Yeah, as I said I think there is seats like that in Brink, don't remember the map though.
    @chadabees : No probs
    @Bal : Thanks mate ;)
    You know what ? I'll 3D print it and give it to you next time I'll be in Paris ;) You 'll be able whatever you want with that bench (but please don't tell me :p)
    @passerby : Thanks!
    @spacemonkey : Heh thanks dude!
    @MaD : Thanks!
    My highpolies aren't textured, it's just procedural materials (for the texts and decals i'm doing this in photoshop). I tried this method and I really like it because it's really fast and easy to try different materials/colors on the object. It saves me time once I'm doing the textures (because I know exactly what I want).
    I could do this on the artwork, but because on this project I'm trying different methods, I'm not always putting materials information on my artworks (you can clearly see that on the console :D).
    And to be honest, it is not a lot of work and I think it sells the Hi Poly a little bit better ;)
    @gsokol : Thanks!

I started to work on the kind of big fusebox/electric box that are on the platform.
    You can see them on this old screen : http://gaetm.free.fr/3d/2011/Train_Station/UDK1.jpg. The 2 big orange boxes on the extreme left and right of the platform).
    So for this stuff I tried a different method for doing the artwork. I started with this ref :

dell-servers.jpg

And I painted on top of this base. So, here is the result :

fusebox.jpg

I also did some paintover on a udk screen (really basic lighting (only a skylight here)).

PaintOver.jpg

What do you think of it ? Which one is better (if both aren't crap :D) ?
    Don't hesitate if you have interesting ideas about the lighting/mood.

Thanks !
  • shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude please go with number 2 i think it pops more! :):):)

good job on the paint over mang!:thumbup:
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking great. I agree about number 2
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Close, but number 1 for me. I feel the blue is just overwhelming everything, whereas in number 1, each piece is still very distinct.

Looking great though, good execution! :)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    great progress , number 2 look great
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man! Thanks so much for that mini tut! It was really helpful for my texturing today!

Of course it didn't out any where near as good as your stuff, its gorgeous!

I actually prefer number one, not a fan of that blue!
  • Envelope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like number 1 as well. That blue is just odd...(while neat...) just kinda odd :) 1 1 1!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Thank you for that texture breakdown, it really helped me refine my workflow!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    SgtNasty wrote: »

-In the bottom corners, you sort of have a confluence of tangents. There are about four "lines" intersecting there:
    4b98G.jpg
    This may be too much work to fix, but if you do go back, I would mabye make it something more like this:
    8QdOB.jpg
    Crappy paintover, but this is a pretty minor thing, I would just keep moving forward probably. moar updates!

Not trying to be a dick, but I felt the need to pipe up on this. Craftsmanship is a really big deal, and I`m not saying people shouldn't strive for perfection. But a really big thing to consider, is context. Its it REALLY worth it to spend the time perfecting something that will occupy only a few pixels on screen, at any given time? I say nay.. I know as a props modeler you might be shunning me, but in the large scope of things, no-one would EVER care about something like this once used in the context of game. Move on, nail the big details- Its all about the big picture.. not the micro-picture.
  • Envelope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just having some fun with your image while waiting for some builds. I really like your stuff so far. :) Keep it up.

PaintOver3.jpg
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Thanks for the texturing tut. Those assets are sick !
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    god the bench is awesome!!!!!!! seriously like one of my favorite props i've seen.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    PaintOver.jpg

What do you think of it ? Which one is better (if both aren't crap :D) ?
    Don't hesitate if you have interesting ideas about the lighting/mood.

Thanks !

I like number 1 buts it's a bit dark. Number two is kind of a cop out and too heavy-handed. If you want to go cold I would dial it back to be subtle.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    Not trying to be a dick, but I felt the need to pipe up on this. Craftsmanship is a really big deal, and I`m not saying people shouldn't strive for perfection. But a really big thing to consider, is context. Its it REALLY worth it to spend the time perfecting something that will occupy only a few pixels on screen, at any given time? I say nay.. I know as a props modeler you might be shunning me, but in the large scope of things, no-one would EVER care about something like this once used in the context of game. Move on, nail the big details- Its all about the big picture.. not the micro-picture.

I think I said twice within that post that it probably wasn't worth fixing, I just wanted to add some constructive feedback rather than "OMFG so awesome LOVE IT!". I know that's not what you were suggesting, but that was my objective when commenting.
  • Brohan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really enjoying seeing the progression! Great work! I especially like the shapes you're using and the surfacing is very slick.

For the lighting choices; I was looking at some real-world reference and one thing that stands out is that often the lighting from the platform is the strong primary source. The tunnel themselves, even when opposite the platform aren't that much of a contributor lighting-wise. I feel that was what your paint-overs were not achieving; the lighting was somewhat uniform.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/images/subway-5103-19.jpg

Alternatively you could look at introducing a brighter tonal range for the platform while keeping the dark/gunmetal grey for the tunnel itself.

Looking forward to seeing more!
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Hey thanks a lot !
    So I think I'll go with number 2, but I'll tone down this blue and I gonna take Envelope concept into consideration.

@SaferDan : No problem on the tutorial. I'm glad if it can help.
    @Envelope : Thanks a lot for that paintover, it will help me a lot.
    @biofrost : You're welcome
    @konstruct : Heh, I'm ok with you but for these tweaks it took me like 30 minutes (tweak on the Hi, rebake, tweak on the texture) so I thought it was worthing it (because thinking in term of video game, the plaer is able to see this asset (and that part) really close. Plus, I have all the time I want to finish this scene, so no rush :D
    But I'm totally ok about the big picture instead of the micro picture ;)

@coots7 : Thanks a lot!
    @AlecMoody : Yeah I'll go way more subtle about the cold effect, using Envelope concept as a base (even if I think it's still too cold).
    @Brohan : Thanks a lot!
    You're totally right about the main lighting source, I have to focus it more on the platform than on the other side.
    Good idea for the brighter tonal range for the platform, I'll try this on a quick concept.

Other than that, fusebox/server is finished \o/
    Hi Res :

FuseBoxHI.jpg

And the lo' po'

FuseBoxLOW.jpg
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Just wanted to pop in and say that you've done an awesome job so far. Also, if you can, please keep posting wireframes :) They are very helpful in seeing how you went about modeling these great props.

Thanks, and great job!
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Nice stuff! What sorta texture sizes are you using?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I do love both lighting paint overs but I think it would be a real shame to lose the additional blue lighting of the first, keep the overall blue lighting of the second but maybe work some of the separate blue lights back into the scene?

I just think that the orange and blue lights contrast really nicely but Feel free to ignore me :P
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Great work so far & great material definition you got going on there. Keep it up!
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    @doeseph : Thanks a lot!
    Ok for the wires, I'll put some ;)

@PogoP : Thanks !
    For the texture size, it depends, I used to work with mainly 1k for this (even if for the console and such I should have used
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice update u always have great material definition on your props. I think the flashing advertisement sign is a good addition although the yellow seems so strong.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    That is one sexy bin. Nice work man. Really great.. can't wait to see the end result :D
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    great work dud :) when you are concepting are you using painted on top of 3d object ?
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    Nice update gosss! the bin is sexy.

I like the screen also, but atm its like black......YELLOWYELLOWYELLOWYELLOWYELLOW.....black..

Its nice as a prop itself, but i'm not really convinced by the video integrated to the scene, Its very agressive and for some reason It destroy the atmosphere you have there, I would see something more subtle like the first black screen, in your video at 0:00!
  • Covin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really good work GoSsS, especially for the outstanding textures and materials definition.
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    great stuff here gosss ;) the vid' remind me that stuff : http://youtu.be/l_5UZfwX0ss?t=24s
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    really good work so far
    love it
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Really inspiring stuff here, man. Great work all around.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Your bin looks very faceted. Might be worth adding in a few more loops to give it more of a rounded feel. It will increase the tri count but it is worth it :)