Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kar 98 rifle

Hey all, I'm going through old pieces in my portfolio and trying to improve them. This is my first gun I've done, a trusty old Kar98, rendered in marmoset:

wipTexture1.jpg

I've been working on the texture, and I would love any crits, so feel free to tear it apart! :)

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    can you please post wires and textures?
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Looks solid, though you should define your specular and gloss map a bit better, are you using a gloss map to differentiate Wood from metal?
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Nice start! Love the Kar 98, it´s a cool looking rifle.

As P442 said, post some wires and textures, and how many tris is the thing currently on? I think it looks way too low poly at the moment.
    I pointed out a place on your rifle which seems to me to be only normals? If so, you should totally model some of that detail into the lowpoly.
    2qa4kmo.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Don't know how it looks IRL, but to me the modeling looks great! It's very clean to be an old rusty gun though :P Grime it down some more!

And you should play some more with your gloss and spec. It's more towards plastic then metal, not very far from it though..

Regarding what cheese_Shinobi said, seeing this as a FPS weapon that detail would be very far from the players view and would not really benefit from more geometry.

Now, post up some wires and flats and you'll get more crits..
  • Soulis6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I made some updates, so here's that and the wires:

wipTexture2.jpg

and then the textures, spec/color/normal/gloss maps:

texturesWIp1.jpg

@Cap: thanks, I didn't have a gloss map on there, that seems to help. It's very basic right now, but i'm not sure if it needs to be more detailed, seems to get the job done.

@Cheese: That part was actually separate pieces. I made it thicker and a little larger so hopefully that will help it stand out as actual geo more, let me know if it's better now. It's about 4600 tris right now, is that too low? I tried to put most of those in the front of the gun, where you would see it most in game.

Hopefully it looks less like plastic now, let me know if there's anything else I can do. I don't want to grime it down tooo much, was shooting for this to look like it was actually still being used and maintained, like you would see it in game. Let me know what you think.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    The gloss on the wood should be tighter, as of now the specular is totally washing it out. Your gloss could really be all-around tighter. Also, what is with the blue specular map? In a typical production environment, they are grayscale and in an alpha channel. You can then multiply or add a color over it in the shader to achieve the desired specular color without wasting a whole ton of texture memory.
  • Soulis6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i'll change up the gloss, see if I can get it looking better. What do you mean by tighter? Brighter gloss on the wood?

I didn't even think about that for the spec colors, thanks!
  • Soulis6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated:

wipTexture3.jpg

Still trying to get the wood to look right, it either doesn't seem shiny enough for laminated wood, or looks too shiny and plastic-y. This is a small improvement I think.
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A more richer wood would be nice for this, the metal could do with a bit more contrast too. With regards to your spec, it needs to be increased but should be a lot tighter, so you should add a gloss map too, even if its only small to control this. Oh and the bolt on your model looks small compared to the real thing?

BNZAmberg1.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like your entire action is undersized. Comparing to that reference Ihazard posted and your actual model, the back of the bolt lines up with the back of the trigger guard on the real one but doesn't come out nearly as far on your model. Also you seem to have modeled the butt as a big metal thing when it's actually just a plate.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Soulis6 wrote: »
    Ok i'll change up the gloss, see if I can get it looking better. What do you mean by tighter? Brighter gloss on the wood?

I didn't even think about that for the spec colors, thanks!

Exponent (or gloss as some say) of the specular reflection, ie. the size of the hotspot.
    This is from the unreal developer network, but it's the same thing ;)
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/rsrc/Three/MaterialExamples/ex_shiny_specular.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    i think you have some basic proportion issues at the moment, like Kitteh said, the action looks indersized, that circular thing on the side of the stock looks too small and the barrel looks a bit too wide at the end.

I think it also needs to pop more, maybe saturate the wood more, create a bit more interest in the diffuse and maybe use sharper lighting to make it pop more.

It looks pretty good so far, but a few quick changes can make it look a whole lot better!
  • Soulis6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll definitely fix that tonight. I was a little confused about the gloss map, I was using it but I think I had it backwards actually, with the metal brighter then the wood.

@Kitteh: You're totally right about the bolt, I need to resize all the metal a bit it looks like, make it bigger and get it to match up. Also I believe that the majority of the rifles had the thick metal butt plate, it was just the earlier ones that did not.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    I can't sperg out about this right now, so I'll just mention the first thing to catch my eye: Only the Russian captured (post-war rearsenaled) K98s had black painted bolts. All German guns were always issued with the bolts "in the white," which is to say bare metal (the gun in Ihazard's picture has been refinished; I wouldn't use it as a good reference). Leave the bolt plain shiny metal and it will help with some nice contrast between the parts.

hard to find a picture quickly of what I'm talking about but this kind of does
    I2N8Y.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    gauss wrote: »
    I can't sperg out about this right now, so I'll just mention the first thing to catch my eye: Only the Russian captured (post-war rearsenaled) K98s had black painted bolts. All German guns were always issued with the bolts "in the white," which is to say bare metal (the gun in Ihazard's picture has been refinished; I wouldn't use it as a good reference). Leave the bolt plain shiny metal and it will help with some nice contrast between the parts.

hard to find a picture quickly of what I'm talking about but this kind of does
    I2N8Y.jpg

Thats not entirely true, the gun posted by Thazard its obviously refinished, but Pre war and even war time Kar 98 bolts were "darkened" not painted, depending on the level of "use" he wants to apply to his model, it would be dark and bright like metal if new, very used like the picture you posted or completely white like hunting models or special fabrication models made for other countries, Mauser made batches for Argentina and Peru with an excellent quality, some other countries made their own versions like the spanish and turkish versions that are the worst in quality and fabrication.