Home Technical Talk

Vertex color in Max >1.0 ?

I'm kind of just thinking about loud here. But I'm curious if anyone has used vertex color in 3ds Max that goes above 1.0?

We're using vert color in our game for some effects, and the artists can paint in a range from 0 to 20. Values lower than 1 use Multiply, and values more than 1 use an Additive-like method. Works great.

I want to export that out of our game toolset, and into 3ds Max, to do some manipulation in Max. OBJ seems to make the most sense for this.

When I use UVW Unwrap, and move a vertex color vertex upwards, beyond 1.0, it seems to tile in vertex color space. That's probably OK, Max's shader for vertex color is probably just setup this way.

I'm thinking I'll create a custom fx shader that renders similarly to our game code. And just manipulate the color verts in Max. I love the controls in the Vertex Paint modifier ... HLS, Levels, etc.

Plus I want to store the vertex colors for later use, as a library of colored chunks.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    maybe scale the normalized values so you can run a batch tool on the exported OBJ file afterwards to fix the values.
    Say in max you actually only use 0.0 - 1.0 but once exported write a script that reads the OBJ file's values and multiply them with 20. Just an idea if nothing works, for your custom shader you could keep this in mind and actually convert existing max values the same way.