Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weapon [needs critique]

Here is a weapon I created a ways back. I would like to improve its overall look whether it be by modeling or texturing.

Replies

• PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is it supposed to be?
    And where is your reference?
  • Obliteracure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a type of laser gun and the inspiration is from Marvin the Martian. Sorry still new to this, can't seem to find out where the arrow next to attachment icon is so I can post image in the actual post.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Use something like photobucket to host an image. From what I can see though I am guessing you followed the hard surface metal texturing tutorial in the polywiki?

First off are you scratches on the handle. They go all the way around pretty much at the same consistency. Look at the handle and think where the hand would wear the paint down, how the gun would be set down and get scratches, how it would be scratches in its environment, not just scratching the whole thing.

Secondly is the random scratch overlay you have. They are too noticable, and again, too random and speradic. Think about where these scratches should happen. Also darken your scratches, your spec map will bring them out.

Sorry for the terrible language, just on my way out to school. That's my two cents, will post more when I'm in class.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok just a couple more things. Do you have a spec map on it right now? Right now your materials aren't reading, I'm guessing it is mostly metal, but you can't tell by looking at it. Also your red is a little over saturated, I would tone it down a little, though that could be a preference. Lastly just gonna repeat and say use reference and really focus on where those scratches and paint chips should be. It will help immensely.
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe show your model without textures and in shaded wireframe mode. It would help to see what the bsse model looks like
  • Obliteracure
  • Obliteracure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks jordan.kocon I agree with you and will have something soon.
  • Obliteracure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ?action=view&current=Ramastra_6-21.jpg?action=view&current=Ramastra_6-21_2.jpg I desaturated the red. Going for more of realistic scratches and peeling paint. What do you think?
  • Obliteracure
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    try using photo ref pictures for your textures. www.cgtextures.com
  • Obliteracure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm...Maybe I should, but I wanted something cartooney. Do the scratches and peeling paint work? The original was way over exaggerated. I was thinking of cool designs to add later, but I thought I should fix the peeling paint, scratches, and desaturated red as mentioned before.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    I feel like you are aiming too high with this piece compared to where you skill wise are at the moment. I would start with something much simpler and much more lowpoly, like say a 60 poly treasure chest and get your skills down and looking good on that. Then as you get the hang of it advance to more complex meshes and materials.

With this piece you are in my opinion going to have too slow iterations which is going to stunt your learning progress.
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    First I dont want to sound harsh because you are new to this. So that said, just finish this and move on dont hang up on the details, and I say that because this is not the type of peice to get hung up over and as your experience grows this type of object will be simple and quick to get through. Right now the issue your running into are strictly because your concept does not lend well to your task (learning 3d). Your working on a very stylized object,in both structure and color, which makes it hard to gauge what is working or not working. Normally thats not such an issue but where you are at right now its causing you a lot of preventable headache. So quickly finish it out have fun with it and move on (quickly). When you move on make a real world object with plenty of reference, a gun, pillar, small building, or some kind of prop. Idealy I would recommend going through some tutorial videos step by step to see the full process, that will give you a decent headstart on workflow and how to trouble shoot possible issues. This one is great:

http://eat3d.com/pillar

Again I dont want to be harsh everyone who does this 3d should enjoy it, and I know that some seemingly easy projects become frustrating and suck the joy out of what your trying to do
    anyway just my lame .2 cents worth
  • Obliteracure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imperator - That sounds fun, I will try that, but dont expect handles to be modeled or any booty!

Snoops - you didn't say anything harsh so I'll say it for you: "dude that texture blows!" Haha...just kidding (not really though) I think this is a case of a bad texture ruining the model. Your right I should have fun and move on. I respect everyones advice and opinions. Say what you will.

Great posts guys, later
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is similar in my opinion to people who try to stylize a character without knowing anatomy. They think that because they don't know anatomy, they can just give their character huge arms, or tiny legs, and it will look right because it is 'stylized'. But really it is the guy who knows the proper anatomy who could make the stylized character work. As the Dalai Lama put it; "Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively." That said I agree, try something simple, stuff that has LOTS of reference out there, like a dumpster, a barrel or an air conditioner. They are things a lot of people do and you will really be able to see the right work flow and ways people approach these. And a simple, boring object can become very fun when your textures come along.

Edit: Not to say you don't know weapons or materials or anything, I just say this because I know when I started 3D I had no clue about materials, etc. I mean no offence :)