Home Technical Talk

Zbrush: Creasing

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
Hey all,

In this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63652

poir advocated for the use of creasing in Zbrush. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get any useful results from them.

Does anyone actually use creasing in their Zbrush workflow, and, if so, how?

It seams like they might be useful if you are trying to get just a FEW sharp tangents on a generally smooth or streamlined mesh.

but for somthing like this rock (test mesh), it just doesn't seam to make any practical sense...

It seams far more practical to just turn SMT off and smooth out the faceting that results when you divide your geo, or just use the resmesh and project at each division level to get a nice (even quad) mesh that still captures your sharp tangents.

That said I didn't want to abandon a potentially useful tool before inquiring here. Am I missing somthing, or is this a pretty good conclusion?

Replies

• cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I don't use creasing, as in, the feature, but I do (more lately) use the smoothing group option in turbosmooth on a block model in max. Give it a couple of sdivs before going to zbrush. It can be handy to start with nice form but keep those harder edges where you want them without tons of support loops. Usually on hard surfacey stuff in any case.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    in zbrush itself, to use creasing it is sort of a weird workflow where you hide certain polygons and apply the crease, and it will apply to the visible border edges. So for a cylinder, you would hide the middle section and crease, and when you smooth the cylinder it will look more like a barrel than a pill shape.

You can also use creasing settings from maya, but you have to import a .ma file for that to work.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Ever since I discovered that Zbrush recognizes creasing coming from Maya (via GoZ), I use it a lot!
    It's really great to send in simple base-meshes for hard-surface objects, without having to mess about with extra edge-loops or tweak stuff in Zbrush, just works directly, and you can control it with the creaselevel slider in the Geometry tab.
    It's much more powerful than turning SMT off, as you can just subdivide like usual and the creases will only appear where you told them too in Maya.
    Maya is still a bit finicky with creasing, sometimes some stuff doesn't work so well, but once you know what causes problems, and have set up a few shortcuts, it's quite nice to use.

I haven't looked into if this kind of workflow is possible in 3dsMax though, would be curious to know if it is.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, setting up creasing is a pain, but I was able to negate that to a degree by using the "smoothing groups" plugin for Zbrush.

With this I am able to use auto smooth on a lower poly mesh in 3dsmax and then have those hard edges automatically creased when I import.

However, none of its very intuitive. I made need a cleaner base mesh than what I have to get a good sculpt out of things.

I'm wondering if part of the problem is how messy my quads and flow are, I'm still trying to get a feel for what a good base mesh is. I haven't encountered a single person that uses creasing other than pior, and that was an old post, so maybe its just not worth while.

Bal, acording to this post GoZ for max does NOT support it: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=94895&highlight=crease+Goz
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Jocose, yeah that's unfortunate, should be technically possible by just using the hard edges instead of the creases, too bad it's a really nice trick. :(
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I had to just bite the bullet and invest a few hours today studying up on sculpting topology. I threw a few triangles in there, cleaned up my quads, and then brought the mesh into max out of topogun. I then used the autosmooth option in edit poly to automatically smooth my edges by an angle I specified.

This got me results fast that looked reasonably good.

I then imported with the smoothing groups plugin, divided a few times, and then smoothed out any areas I didn't want to be faceted.

Just because it was a rock was no reason to have bad topology, it made all the difference.

Its really nice having a few hard edges here and there that are perfectly crisp like this. They are also all uniform which in my initial sculpt they were kind of a mess.

Maybe that will help someone, the workflow is seaming more intuitive to me now, as usual pior was probably right about this being the best way.

The only other options is to simply use remesh and project up, but then I will have to deal with any imperfections in my initial sculpt (like non-uniform beveling along hard edges), or just divide without smoothing turned on, but then you will have to recapture your curvature along rounded areas of your silhouette by tweaking them with the move brush (not really that big of a deal so that may be a solid way as well).

I'm going to look at that tomorrow before I make my final decision.

Also note: I do not endorse all this work if your rocks can simply be improvised.

This particular one has to match a concept exactly for various reasons so its been a bit of a puzzler to work out. Normally you just would get a rough form and design the rest of it as you go.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Isnt it much easier to disable the smooth (smt function beside the divide function in the geometry tab) than dividing it, it is much better way to crease the mesh? Thats what I do, and it works better than just trying to crease. You can smooth the mesh however you want after that.

There is also a function to create Edge loops to bevel the edges if you do want to crease something in the high res.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    @Nitewalkr If you disable smooth, then everything will look faceted whereas with creasing you can have nice curves and crisp edges together.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr, as I stated turning of smoothing is indeed a viable option. The problem is that you will lose the perfect curvature of the form in some places (it will just be a series of linear facets). You can just correct this by using the move brush and tweaking these until it looks right.

That said the creasing workflow I established above takes me about 30 seconds to do. Since all of the decision making about what gets creased and what doesn't is completely automated by 3dsmax's Auto Smooth. Going through and tweaking every single out of place curve may or may not take longer. It just depends on the prop.

Edit:

I just spent a little while longer with a few other options:

1) Setting a morph target that preserves the mesh with faceting (hard edges). Then dividing it with smooth turned on. I was then able to selectively paint back in the hard edges, but really this didn't resolve much because I still had the problems with curvature.

2) I tried using the remesh feature. This sort of works, but creates a really dense mesh that doesn't capture the bevels at all unless you have an incredible amount of geometry. This makes sculpting a pain and counter intuitive. On top of that using the project all feature doesn't work very well on hard edges because the projection collapses in on itself.

Creasing uniformly pulls polygons to form consistent bevels on the entire model which can then be beat up. This is MUCH faster (for me) than going through and defining every single bevel by hand. Any other method results in razer sharp edges, or messy irregular bevels that need to be corrected one way or another.

So yeah creasing, for hard surfaces, appears to be the way to go. Only an issue non-improvised props though that need consistent bevels.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Necro!

Lately I've been using Maya creasing and GoZ to import edge information, its a fantastic workflow but I have one problem with how I've been using it.

I tend to retain crease info until I've divided a few levels, then remove creases so the edges are a softer bevel.
    The issue I'm having is if I notice an error later and have to go back down a few levels to resolve it the crease information is no longer available.  

Anyone know if there is any way to store the crease info and only selectively use it when dividing the mesh? Even an alternative to the workflow?

Cheers.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    What sort of errors are you running into that you have to delete that many subdivisions on your mesh?

Personally I just use the double subdivision surface technique in Blender where you can easily preview the limit surface after some creasing. Remove the second subsurf and export to Zbrush, rebuild subdivisions and subdivide it a few times again there and bob's your uncle. I haven't run into too many errors that require deleting and remaking all of the subdivision levels.
  • leandrojsj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leandrojsj polycounter lvl 4
    In zbrush you have this option in the imported mesh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSf9qBkMF6E
  • leandrojsj