Home General Discussion

Alice: Madness Returns

Replies

• kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    really awesome game! Haven't enjoyed a single player this much for ages, every bit as enjoyable as the original.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    good game, only complaint thus far is that I really wish there was more extensive bits set in London, and that the narrative there was more developed.
    As it stands it's a way to stumble between ventures into wonderland, and I feel more could have been done with it.
    The London settings atmosphere is fantastic, though, as it is with the rest of the game.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I agree, the Victorian London setting has a fantastic atmosphere in the game and seems so underused.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Still waiting for fucking amazon to ship it over to me including artbook... *sigh*
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you just kind of bumble between characters, get knocked out/have an episode and it's *poof* back to wonderland. It's an odd way to break up the action, and i'd prefer it to flow more smoothly into the narrative.
    my biggest gripe is that, while it is certainly interesting to look at, it seems like they've traded good game/level design for better art design. But overall, each realm feels remarkably similar to the last, just with a different coat of paint.
    The best thing about the first Alice game was that the level/game/art/narrative design were all on par with eachother, working together as a fluid piece. In this one, it seems that the art received the focus and most other bits were neglected. It's still enjoyable, but less so than it's predecessor, IMO.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    This game is quite long, well long compared by today's standards. Thought id reached the end, but the game just keeps on going.

Laughed my ass of when
    Alice ate the cake and grew gigantic, the expression on the Executioners face was hilarious.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    just ate the cake too, my god he deserved it...
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The art book is amazing, btw. Just got mine in the mail. Flipping through it gives me a sense of where they wanted the game to go, and where it ultimately went. The thing i notice is that a lot of the interesting ideas, they seem to have discarded due to "not having them time" which makes me feel as though EA had a hand in pushing the game out the door, much like I felt playing Dragon Age 2. Sad. A lot of the scrapped ideas are brilliant.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Currently got the Artbook on order, although it seems to have sold out already. :( Guess I'll have to wait for the next batch!

Finished the game a few days ago, think it took something like 10 - 12 hrs, not bad considering todays standards of short games. Ending was quite good although the final boss was a bit to straight forward.

Like i mentioned before, i would have loved to see more of the game set in the Victorian era, i think the are style truly shined more there, than in Wonderland itself.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I got my artbook yesterday, opened it up, only to find the cover is on upside down/backwards.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    I couldn't believe the reviews after playing this game at my friends house.

This game is super fun...