Home General Discussion

What to do when practice doesn't make perfect?

Looking for thoughts and tips on this.

Basically, I've been doing life drawing every day for about 6 months now, and went to weekly classes for a couple of months before that. I do it mainly for fun, to improve my appreciation of anatomy, and I suppose with the hope of one day translating it to my 3D work.

The thing is, I'm not noticing any improvement and that leads me to believe I'm either going wrong in my approach, or missing some key techniques.

My daily routine is usually 10 mins of 30 sec and 2 minute gestures, then a couple of 5 mins, then a few 10 minute poses which I will finish up a bit if 10 minutes isn't adequate.

I partner this sketching with studying anatomy too.

I thought i would just improve over time, but I'm really not, like not even slightly, my stuff looks the same as it did 6 months ago.

Replies

• fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    10 minutes is not a lot of time when you're learning, spend more. I know sessions can go upto 2-4 hours with breaks.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you showing it to anyone to for critique and feedback? You can do something a thousand times, but if you're doing it wrong each time without knowing, then you'll never improve.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    A) that saying should be "practice makes marginally better"

B) That said, fmnoor is totally right, you need to be regularly doing over an hour's practice per day if you really do want to improve. Also helps to get in the habit of doodling whenever you've got spare time... on the bus, at the coffee shop, between classes, etc. Make it a habit instead of a chore and the work does itself.

C) Sean, also, is totally right. Especially with anatomy practice, it's huge to be give and get critiques from other artists in the same sessions. Not everyone is willing to do this, sometimes it's enough just to check out other people's work at the session and see how they tackled the forms, what looks right or wrong in their work, and compare it to yours.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.

Ok, I'll up the time I do it, and squeeze in some shorter sessions whenever I get a few mins.

I think the key though is as you say, lack of critique. I don't really get crit from anyone. Unfortunately none of my friends/colleagues are into figure drawing or anatomy so I don't get much help from them, and while I did have a sketchbook on here some time ago, I don't seem to get much attention. I don't blame people, I guess if something isn't 'terribly crap' or 'amazingly awesome' then people tend to not have much to suggest.

So yeah, I haven't really been getting feedback which is obviously a big barrier to improvement.

Would anyone be interested in some kind of sketch group thread thing where we can crit each others work? If there's a kind of organised group then feedback would be consistent and hopefully we could see ourselves, and each other improve.
  • d1ver
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    6-8 hours a day is where I'm at now. A few hours should do fine.

6-8??!! Do you sleep?!

I could definitely get 1 1/2 - 2 hours in and a few short sessions but 6-8, no chance!

Cheers for the link D1ver, all the times I've been to Bens site, I've never read that paper!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I dont know whether lack of critique is the problem, you dont appear to lack an internal critique as you know your work hasnt improved.

I think as others have said you just need to spend longer, its like the longer you spend studying something the more you notice things about it, and the more you notice things that are wrong in your painting . You have to look for a long time because some thngs are really hard to see.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you spend 10 minutes tops on each drawing?

I think you're shooting your own feet. Even if you are uber-talented and experienced artist your skills will degenerate pretty quickly if 10 minute sketches is all you do.

You need to invest your time and effort doing proper 1-2 hour studies.

As for critique - I don't know. Doodle is a doodle - a quick way to record something on paper. Not very much to crit.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See this is why I post stuff like this. There's me thinking 10 minute studies is the right way to go about things!

It does seem a bit silly now thinking about it, I just had it in my head that repeated short studies would 'drum it in', but clearly they're not. It's just a shame it took 6 months and a thread on here for me to figure that out.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the annoying things about drawing is that it's easy to get stuck in autopilot where you draw out of habit, not active thought. You really need to actually think about what you're doing if you expect to get better at it.

I think too many people get caught up in copying what they see instead of studying it.

When you study, reference should be treated like the answer key to a set of math problems, it's there to help you get the right answer. If all you do is copy the answer, you'll learn really slowly, you have to analyze the problem and know why the answer is right before you can actually apply it yourself.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Keep a journal, and don't repeat yourself. Don't ever EXACTLY, mindlessly, re-do what you did before.

Everything you do in life should be a "sketch".

What is a sketch? A sketch is a PROBLEM SOLVING TOOL. Its a small failure, made quickly, so that you can not do that again.

If you want to get good, get really good at failing as fast and and as often as possible, and think carefully about the failure and what you can learn from it, and then move on as quickly as possible so you can fail again and learn something new.

You as a human being is what your solving for, and your way to complex to just "figure out". Instead you have to test, iterate, sketch, fail, and then take notes and make theories about what works best for you. Do this quickly, and deduce useful lessons from your failures.

Also, mix up the magnitute of your failures. Make a whole bunch of similar (but not identical) little failures to solve small problems. Then every once in awhile try "medium sized failures" (take on a bigger project than you have ever done maybe), and then also try big things like making life changes (moving, dumping your girl, getting a girl, getting rid of the cat, whatever, whatever makes sense to you in the context of your lessons learned.

Be ruthlessly objective, only keep what works, and you WILL IMPROVE.

And don't stress out about it either dude. Life is a journey not a destination. Things dont get better or worse as you get older. They just get different, they change, and you change. Just try to be happy and productive with the time that you have.

Also these are very useful links:

Learn from your failures by simplifying and isolating the problems involved:
    http://www.superrune.com/technical/tutorial_breakdown.php

Use this to "think out side the box" or "meta think" if you are stuck in a mental rut:
    http://classics.mit.edu/Tzu/artwar.html

Examples of this philosophy in practice:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138102

A good read for those struggling to find the will to work:
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fear-Observations-Rewards-Artmaking/dp/0961454733[/ame]

Another good thread:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1354346#post1354346
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    everyone learns differently. One thing is true though, if you're not struggling with your work, you probably aren't improving very fast. STRUGGLE. Do things that you find difficult.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    perfect practice makes perfect
  • Ennolangus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear ya Tom, I hear ya. However, I agree with most of what was said here already.

1. longer sketch/drawing sessions are needed, even try to squeeze in doodling or sketching when out and about or before bed or something

2. crit's help huge!

3. Bibendum say it right, don't just copy. So many times i keep seeing people just trace over poses on google and 'make' their character around the traced image. This will hinder you, it's one thing to ref, it's another thing to exactly copy or trace.

Now i know people who 'mimic' certain styles to get a feel for it; like blizzard art, or etc when applying to studios and such. And sometimes they start off by drawing over the images to get a feel for the style. but definitely not an all time thing.

4. and this is from me, don't give up! I hit that hurdle too about a year ago, where my art just looked the same or i was stuck in one style. I dedicated more time to my art development, took life drawing classes, and practiced at home. I'm still not at the level i'd like to be, but i can see a huge improvement from work i even did 6 months ago until now.

But my drawing sessions are minimum an hour a day. And it's not always just 'sketch this, sketch that' it's usually something specific like 'i'm going to practice doing hands this week, or colouring the next, or facial drawings'. things like that.

:)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    setup tasks, raise the bar
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    As already stated practice and get critiques. I would add that jumping in on competitions such as the character/evironment of the weeks over at CA.org or the other weekly comps at cghub can help tremendously. It forces you to take a realistic look at where you stand compared to other artists who you may find inspiring along with giving you an assignment and deadline. Additionally, people tend to critique more frequently on the other competetors posts, rather than your artwork sitting in a lonely thread no ones responding to. And at the VERY least people will HAVE to see your work on their way to voting for someone else.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Tom Ellis wrote: »
    6-8??!! Do you sleep?!

Lol, I put in 8-12 hours a day, 4 days a week into an indie project, and work a fulltime job the other three :)
    Its all about the commitment baby!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    This is just me, usually mine is a weird opinion, so take it with a ton of salt.

I don't believe that just practicing is enough. As if just doing the thing repeatedly will somehow make you better. There's a reason for it. It's not arbitrary.

What I need are goals. I could sit there for hours mindlessly drawing figures over and over again and learn nothing. Or I can come up with a goal, and sit there for 20 minutes and learn a ton.

I set myself very specific goals. Like say, "learn how the Sacrospinatus affects the surface of the Latissimus Dorsi from the back". Or better yet, "learn what makes the Latissimus Dorsi form the shape that it does". This will fire me off on a journey of research. One which does require sitting down and practicing repeatedly. But it could entail a study, a sculpt, a painting, or any number of things.

I truly believe that if you make a mental checklist of things you want to learn about, then start checking them off, you couldn't avoid making progress even if you wanted to.

As for life drawing, the best thing it's good for (just for me personally) is to study shapes. Keeping in mind stuff like "what kind of shape does the leg form?" and "what kind of negative-space shape can I see with the shoulders?" helps me out tremendously.

My 2cents.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I am confused.
    Where are the drawings ?
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    Looking for thoughts and tips on this.

Basically, I've been doing life drawing every day for about 6 months now, and went to weekly classes for a couple of months before that. I do it mainly for fun, to improve my appreciation of anatomy, and I suppose with the hope of one day translating it to my 3D work.

The thing is, I'm not noticing any improvement and that leads me to believe I'm either going wrong in my approach, or missing some key techniques.

My daily routine is usually 10 mins of 30 sec and 2 minute gestures, then a couple of 5 mins, then a few 10 minute poses which I will finish up a bit if 10 minutes isn't adequate.

I partner this sketching with studying anatomy too.

I thought i would just improve over time, but I'm really not, like not even slightly, my stuff looks the same as it did 6 months ago.

Don't feel bad, people spend a lifetime trying to master something like this.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Some things:

Quick sketches are nice, but you should do more polished stuff. The ability to see form and render it convincingly is something that you'll pick up with more detailed drawings. Then you'll figure out how to represent these things in shorthand form for quicker sketches. Anatomy is obviously important, but don't get too hung up on particulars at first.

Don't just do life drawing. Copy some photos or favorite drawings of artists you admire where you aren't pressured in "performing" on the spot. I think too many people jump into life drawing without really understanding drawing or what makes a successful picture first.

Get your hand and eye to work freely together to develop speed and accuracy. Even if you're not truly confident, making your marks more confident will help sell the image to the viewer and it will help you focus on capturing an image that is more lively and less sterile.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    ok, here is what i think, not everyone is an artist.
    chances are that if someone is really passionate about art they get interested and learn art from an early age when learning is easier on the brain. if a person tries to become an artist all off a sudden then it is very difficult to do that. there can be exceptions as well.

when someone is passionate about art they also usually spend lot more time researching art and work hard to get good at it. this is a observation and there are exceptions.
    i have seen many people who complain about not improving but I also see them spending hours after hours in bars and getting high. it takes seriousness and dedication. although, getting high while making art can be interesting in some cases.

finaly, not everyone is art minded or genetically equiped to create good art. there are theories that people who use more of their left brain are less visual and more technical.

however, if you have the passion then i believe any thing is possible. what do you visualize yourself doing 10 years from now ?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jocose - THANK YOU. Those links are great, but that book. Wow. I know a lot of people probably don't suffer from the fear thing and would be just like 'man up, push through it' which is a fair suggestion, but obviously a lot of people do have the problem of fear of art failure and that book is incredible, I bought the iPad version immediately and I'm already deep into it.

Pior - I chose not to post any examples because I didn't want this to look like an attention seeking post, or to get specific feedback on my drawings but rather a possible explanation for my lack of improvement, which has been found. I will get a thread set up dedicated to it though.

And thanks to everyone else, some great feedback and hopefully others will find some of it helpful too.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I spent more than my usual time on this today, and it seems to be working. This is probably the best piece I've produced in the last 6 months.

Still plenty of room for improvement, but man, who knew that I was going so wrong!

LifeSketch050611.jpg
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    These look pretty good. Though not really feeling the geometry of the head. I mean, you captured the legs pretty fucking nice, the thighs anyway but the head seems a bit flat. But yeah, have this one as your milestone and check back in a month or two, promise it'll shine through. Drawing never gets easy, you just get more tools to make it more complicated. My 5 cents anyway.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the head sucks... I need to study heads as their own subject I think.
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Well no, it's just that it feels flat. I think the trick is to treat it as a geometric object just like the every other limb. You know, cylinders and stuff.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Looks cool man! Pick up loomis, bridgman and vilppu and study them as well as taking regular lifedrawing classes. If you're aiming to become an animator then I'd personally probably go for the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vilppu-Drawing-Manual-Glenn-V/dp/B002IZYQRS/"]Vilppu Drawing manual [/ame]
    + [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Animators-Survival-Kit-Richard-Williams/dp/0571202284"]animators survival kit[/ame]. Try to apply the ideas written in these books and you'll improve even faster.

Also, 6 months is no time at all dude. Looking at people's sketchbooks over at conceptart.org and other places I think 1-3 years is a more reasonable timeframe to go from zero to decent. But then again, those guys are training a lot of different skills (values, color, design, compositon etc). If you want to become an animator you should probably mainly focus on gesture drawing: hence my vilppu recommendation.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Wasker!

Well, I'd like to be an artist as much as id like to be an animator, so any of those guys books will be useful. I've got the Loomis books. I prefer his books on the head/face than his books on the body/figure but I find Bridgman/Bargue work well for me.

Im not familiar with Vlippu though so I will check that out.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hi Tom,

I kindof skimmed through the thread but one can tell a few things from that life study you just posted.
    It's actually not very good (I am not trying to be mean - it's just that being honest is more useful than patting ;) ) but it could be fixed very easily by applying a few very basic yet extremely powerful art theory principles.

Which makes me think that the person teaching you might not be spending enough time on theory, just letting students do whatever they want. I had that type of teacher before - it's good for exploration, but the whole term shouldn't be taught only this way. I think the best ratio would be 25% exploration, 75% hard theory put to practice. Just my opinion.

Here are a few principles you can apply to a medium-length study like above. I personally like to warm up with a very quick gesture drawing anyways - like, a few seconds long - to get the gist of the pose first. Then :

- Start by marking the outer edges of the enveloppe of the figure on the paper, and stick to them (top, bottom limits, other landmarks sticking out, middle line). This is your composition within the bigger area of the whole page.
    - Identify the horizon line of the scene as early as possible, and relate everything to that (this is often overlooked because it is located outside of the figure and a majority of students just forget about it.)
    - Place a few more landmarks to lock in strong elements of the figure.
    - Keep the lines loose. After all, they dont really exist in nature.
    - When it comes to light and shade, identify the boundary between the two as if you were making a black and white stencil cutout of the figure. Mark that line gently. Then, while working within these two antagonistic surfaces, remember that even the brightest dark should never be brighter than the darkest bright. It's all over the place on your piece. Thats because the eye gets tricked while looking at a shadow area, noticing cool rimlights, and thinks, holy shit that's bright!! But in reality, compared to the other bright surfaces of the figure, it really isn't.

Oh and on e more thing : chose your subjects wisely. Not every calendar chick picture is good for life study. There is a specific lighting setup to get right, and this alone is a huge part of a successful study.

That was easy!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much Pior, I appreciate you taking the time to comments.

You're correct in assuming my life drawing teacher doesn't give much instruction. Almost all of my actual learning has come from books. I basically only go to the classes to draw, and don't expect much in the way of tuition,

I'll try the exercises you've outlined, I can see how they will help, but I must admit I've never tried working that way, it's always just kinda straight-ahead 'rough out an armature skeleton and go to town on the shading'.

Thanks again, I'll post a sketchbook tomorrow rather than turn this into a WAYWO.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah the head sucks... I need to study heads as their own subject I think.

Get hold of the PDF for Loomis' How to Draw the Head and Hands. His head drawing technique is really good for understanding the basic forms of the head. Bridgman's construction drawings are very useful too.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah, there's great material out there ; also some great videos on youtube ... if you pick wisely.

The thing is, drawing structurally (from "bones to shading") can develop interesting analytical skills, but in the end one still needs to think of every study as a 2D composition on flat paper. Therefore, silhouette and separation of value is what matters.

Check this out - not a single line, not a single area of "smooth blended shading" in the video below. Its all about clean cut masses of light and shade. Now of course for a full figure you need more structure - but don't be fooled by the idea of lighting being that complicated smooth smudgy thing to do on top of a stick figure at the end. All you have to do is to find and to commit to light and shade boundaries, then "paint by numbers" your values on them.

(Some artists actually do exactly that, literally : using a very specific scale of values to fill shaded surfaces with).

Forget about airbrushed spheres - shadow lines are sharper than one think.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0mQ3x3Igt0&feature=related[/ame]
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I think the key though is as you say, lack of critique. I don't really get crit from anyone. Unfortunately none of my friends/colleagues are into figure drawing or anatomy so I don't get much help from them, and while I did have a sketchbook on here some time ago, I don't seem to get much attention. I don't blame people, I guess if something isn't 'terribly crap' or 'amazingly awesome' then people tend to not have much to suggest.

So yeah, I haven't really been getting feedback which is obviously a big barrier to improvement.

Guess I'll interject my personal experience into the mix here, for better or for worse.

To be totally honest, I think the one thing that holds so many people back these days is not a lack of critique. It's this weird reliance on outside critique they've somehow fused into their brains. Largely due to the prevalence of the Internet, I think.

From my experience, one of the most important, most useful things an artist can work on is their own eye - their own ability to tell "Ok this shit looks cool, this looks right, that looks wrong, ok - this is what theirs does better than mine", etc.

Because honestly if you don't ever get to the point of being able to figure that out for yourself I think you're screwed.

Now, some of that will obviously come from experience, but to sit there and rely on and convince yourself that you need other people's input to improve that - well that's just not accurate. Outside opinions can definitely help! But they can also hamper your progress, and depending on the person you can be fed inaccurate information. It will always be up to you to decide what works, what doesn't - what critique to take into account, and what to say simply "Thanks" and move on. You can be improving this every day without ever picking up a pencil or sitting down at a computer. Driving to work, ok, what do the clouds look like? Driving next to a lake? Ok, what are you able to see reflected on the surface? And why is that, can you figure out the reasons for it and replicate it later? No? Take a picture, or go research some physics to figure it out. Ever notice how reflections elongate and skew on the roads when it's raining?

Take mental notes of that, or bring your camera with you and take pictures, and really think about it.

And when you're sitting there comparing your work to other people's - don't compare your work to other people your age, or people with your experience. Compare your work to the very best stuff you can find, the people who's work you admire and the work that has the quality you want to achieve. And then sit there and ask yourself "Ok, now what makes these things different?"

I think it's that stuff that's the most important, for drawing/painting especially. Because honestly if you don't work intelligently, if you're not working up top (in your noggin) and you're just putting the work down on paper, you can spend hundreds of hours practicing and still wind up hardly improving at all. (There's evidence of this everywhere, go take one look through the CA.org sketchbook pages. You see people starting out drawing what they see everyone else drawing, and they think that if they just do that enough, magic will just happen one day. Not the case.)
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Great points, Two Listen! Trying to analyze everything, whether in the real world or within works of art; break them down into their component parts before reassembling them from your memory is really a worthwhile habit to get into. It certainly makes the world a more interesting place too! I think we all fall into the trap of assuming we know how something is put together - the human face for example - but until you really internalize that information you will never truely understand it. You might be able to create a decent copy of a picture, but you won't be able to properly understand how things work in the real world or create from your imagination without really getting to know a subject. I guess the point here is: Don't just copy, ANALYZE.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.

Yep some Loomis head studies are definitely on the cards. I've managed to find Charles Bargue Cours Des Dessin too which covers his methods of drawing from casts and light/shade quite extensively.

Two Listen - it's interesting you mention that, and it's a mindset im beginning to appreciate after reading the book Jocose linked. There's a quote in there which reads something like 'The strongest work anyone can do both as an art maker and as an art viewer is their own'. And I've got hung up on other peoples critique too much in the past.

I know it is important to seek crit from your peers but waiting for the 'all clear' every step of the way from others may not always be the best way to progress.